Main Menu

Berlin info is needed

Started by Tamas, April 23, 2009, 04:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

You should memorize a bunch of useful phrases in German. E.g.:

"I'm not a gypsy" or "We helped you kill Jews during WW2. Let's have sex."

Sheilbh

The best city in Europe.  What I hope they don't get rid of (though rather feel they will) is the gaps in the city's fabric which are uniquely suggestive of Berlin's history.  It's a wonderful place. 
Let's bomb Russia!

Queequeg

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 11, 2009, 01:50:56 AM
The best city in Europe. 
Waaaay too much leather and hideous architecture.  Prague has all the darkness without as much Eurotrash, though more tourists per-milkilometer.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Queequeg on May 11, 2009, 11:37:24 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 11, 2009, 01:50:56 AM
The best city in Europe. 
Waaaay too much leather and hideous architecture.  Prague has all the darkness without as much Eurotrash, though more tourists per-milkilometer.
I love Brutalism :mmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Olive

My boyfriend's german and is from there, will ask him and give you all the info.

AnchorClanker

At the same bus stop, you will be in front of the Picasso museum, the Egyptian museum, and Charlottenburg Palace.  Berlin is a great city.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Zanza

Quote from: Tamas on May 11, 2009, 01:22:49 AM
It seems I will be staying in a hotel on Nuernberger Strasse. I'll arrive tonight, and will leave on Thursday evening so that will leave me with only a few hours spread across two afternoons for non-nightlifish stuff.
Take the U2 from Wittenbergplatz to Potsdamer Platz and then do the tour I described above.

Tamas

Quote from: Zanza2 on May 12, 2009, 12:33:31 PM
Quote from: Tamas on May 11, 2009, 01:22:49 AM
It seems I will be staying in a hotel on Nuernberger Strasse. I'll arrive tonight, and will leave on Thursday evening so that will leave me with only a few hours spread across two afternoons for non-nightlifish stuff.
Take the U2 from Wittenbergplatz to Potsdamer Platz and then do the tour I described above.

The office turned out to be reasonably near to potsdamer platz, so after getting lost, I managed to make this trip you suggested, and it was great. Thank you!

Tamas

Any chance of anyone remembering a good restaurant along the general line of Zanza's Checkpoint Charlie -> Reichstag trip?

It turned out I dont like half-grilled lamb sold for me for a small fortune in the hotel's restaurant, and I feel own myself more than KFC for dinner  :D

Martinus

It's actually funny but I've never been to Berlin before. I always plan to go and never find a good occasion. I'd come for a Berlin Languish meet.

Zanza

Quote from: Martinus on May 13, 2009, 05:22:04 AM
It's actually funny but I've never been to Berlin before. I always plan to go and never find a good occasion. I'd come for a Berlin Languish meet.
Here is the perfect sight for you: http://www.glbtq.com/arts/schwules_museum.html  :P

I would be up for a Berlin Languish meet sometime.

Tamas

I could not really do any sightseeing yesterday. Basically, I knew all the museums were closed, and I just could not arse myself to decode mass transit maps to go and stare on buildings from the outside.

Its too bad I won't be around for a couple of more days, I started to know my way around the inner city around Potsdammerplatz quite well, almost with no help of a map.

Found a nice central-america themed restaurant last evening, then watched the Wigan-Manchester game at the bar of the Irish pub next to my hotel. Met an Welsh bloke who have been a Manure supporter for 40 years, I felt it better to make clear while we were both sober that I wanted Manure to lose. they won :D Had some nice Guiness, Jagermeister, and light beer, then after the game listened to the live band for a while, and that was the close of my last free night in Berlin.

I definetly would like to return here, especially for a Languish meet. Prices seemed quite reasonable, the not over-the-top restaurants have only slightly highter prices than Hungarian ones for food, altough they make up for it on attrocious beer prices, which are like 4 times the hungarian ones.