News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

25 years old and deep in debt

Started by CountDeMoney, September 10, 2012, 10:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on September 11, 2012, 09:29:15 AM
Plus lots of people don't plan their life around their career. Lots of people do masters and phds and all that because they love the subject and want to learn more. Or they can't face the real world and want to put it off as long as possible

Those people are suicidally stupid or fantastically wealthy.  If you are dumping 100+ thousand dollars on an education you better be thinking about your career or be heir to a used car lot empire.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Darth Wagtaros

Plus lots of people don't plan their life around their career. Lots of people do masters and phds and all that because they love the subject and want to learn more. Or they can't face the real world and want to put it off as long as possible
Which is perfectly fine so long as they have some plan to pay for it.
PDH!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on September 11, 2012, 09:32:40 AM

Those people are suicidally stupid or fantastically wealthy.  If you are dumping 100+ thousand dollars on an education you better be thinking about your career or be heir to a used car lot empire.

Ann Romney convinced me that, no matter how difficult they had it when Mittens went to Harvard for his law degree and his MBA at the same time, they still persevered.  So hard work can create miracles.

PDH

Quote from: Valmy on September 11, 2012, 08:48:03 AM
Wyoming winters are the best.  The finest 11 months of the year.

Winter in this case being defined as "any day where the temperature drops below 70"
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

derspiess

Quote from: PDH on September 11, 2012, 08:34:05 AM
Stupid girl.  She should have lived in Wyoming then attended the University.  Tuition is only $4300.00 a year for instate, and many students get half of that paid for by an education trust fund.

There were less expensive options that still would have given her a good education.  She went to Xavier, a private school with tuition unsubsidized by the state (runs about $15k per semester), when the University of Cincinnati is right next door for an in-state tuition of about $5k per semester. 

At Miami, tuition is subsidized, but in-state is still more expensive than most (all?) state schools. 

My deal with my kids will be that they can pick whichever state school in Ohio they want to attend, and I'll foot the bill.  If they want to go to an out of state school, they better load up on scholarships and grants.  They will not attend Xavier  <_<
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josquius

This really shows the problem with the system in the US.
Worries about whether you're smart enough for a certain program, will be able to get in, etc.... have to take back stage to money.
It just seems thoroughly wrong to me that a very smart guy who could easily get by at one of the best schools in the country might have to go to one of the worst schools just because he can't afford it (yes, I'm aware of scholarships and all that sort of thing, they tend to be limited in number however and with all sorts of strings).
I missed out on going to a certain good uni once upon a time due to money concerns- that was purely living costs however, and it was just for a semester so not that overwhelmingly much lost. For tuition to be such a concern that it will make you lower your sights and have to pick a totally different path in life however....yeah, it needs fixing.
██████
██████
██████

Berkut

That would be concerning Tyr, if it were remotely true.

Luckily, it mostly is not, and hence largely irrelevant.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on September 11, 2012, 09:55:22 AM
That would be concerning Tyr, if it were remotely true.

Luckily, it mostly is not, and hence largely irrelevant.

Indeed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 11, 2012, 09:31:05 AM

That's all well and good, and it's fine to pursue one's intellectual interests--but don't bitch about the reality of the situation living in Mom's basement with no prospects for marriage and $188,000 of debt.

I don't know I mean if you are a teen and your parents are all like its a good idea to take on those loans, honey - what real hope of success do you have? You're a teen so you're already likely to do something foolish and then when encouraged by parents and lenders - pretty awful.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on September 11, 2012, 10:25:18 AM
I don't know I mean if you are a teen and your parents are all like its a good idea to take on those loans, honey - what real hope of success do you have? You're a teen so you're already likely to do something foolish and then when encouraged by parents and lenders - pretty awful.

When I floated the idea of film school to my Dad, he told me I didn't need to go to film school to refill his iced tea at TGIFriday's like every other film school grad not named Scorsese.

Pops is a sensitive cat that way.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 11, 2012, 10:28:18 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 11, 2012, 10:25:18 AM

When I floated the idea of film school to my Dad, he told me I didn't need to go to film school to refill his iced tea at TGIFriday's like every other film school grad not named Scorsese.

Pops is a sensitive cat that way.

Some people have sensible parents (like my mother who said she wouldn't hire a man who had a fem studies minor :D) - unfortunately many do not. :(

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on September 11, 2012, 10:29:36 AM
(like my mother who said she wouldn't hire a man who had a fem studies minor :D)

:lol:

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on September 11, 2012, 09:45:45 AM
For tuition to be such a concern that it will make you lower your sights and have to pick a totally different path in life however....yeah, it needs fixing.

Yeah ok that is not what I am saying but there is a way do it while giving yourself crippling debt and ways to do it where you don't.  Be smart don't be an idiot.  But I thought you just said you should use college to delay your life and goof off and not because you picked a path you want to pursue.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

There are indeed lots of people who do that.  I call them stupid people.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.