News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Not God's Army

Started by Jacob, September 10, 2012, 04:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Interesting article about proselytization in the US armed forces: http://www.religiondispatches.org/archive/atheologies/6364/not_god%27s_army%3A_the_front_lines_of_the_fight_against_proselytizing_in_the_u.s._military

I'm curious if any of you who served in the US have comments?

DGuller

Pat Tillman was an atheist, and yet his military service has gone mostly without incident.

Scipio

Quote from: DGuller on September 10, 2012, 04:44:43 PM
Pat Tillman was an atheist, and yet his military service has gone mostly without incident.
Pat Tillman was not fragged by God.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Viking

I'll try to avoid bringing out the trolls here just to refer to

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/17/air-force-academy-religion-proselytism_n_1678092.html

where christian prosyletizing at the air force academy at colorado springs has provoked a secular response, among others with

Military Religious Freedom Foundation

these are the guys who keep a track about this and work on this issue.

N.B. for the extra easter egg...

http://www.militaryreligiousfreedom.org/2012/07/congress-members-submit-complaint-to-panetta-re-mrff-influence/

a letter signed by Todd Akin complaining about the MRFF and it's attempt to stop the use of official military emblems on bibles.

N.N.B and finally

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_cIV18cEIo&feature=related

The US Army War college held a debate on how the role of faith in the military differs from the role of faith in the society itself. (it includes a Dr. Snape on the panel hihihi)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_cIV18cEIo&feature=related
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

grumbler

Jake,  I never saw any of this, and a former student currently attending the AFA has never mentioned it, either.  I am sure that it goes on, but I don't have any evidence that it goes on in any scale.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

As far as the AFA goes they do this on every college campus.  I get prosyletized at least once a year around here.  I have quite a collection of free bibles.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

In front of the Union last week there were two groups of Bible Thumpers.  They were preaching the apocalypse, but different versions.  It was interesting, as they started arguing with one another, mocking each other, etc.  Eventually the campus police came because of the threat of a religious war breaking out.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on September 11, 2012, 08:58:53 AM
As far as the AFA goes they do this on every college campus.  I get prosyletized at least once a year around here.  I have quite a collection of free bibles.

I got a cow bell from them.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on September 11, 2012, 11:52:47 AM
In front of the Union last week there were two groups of Bible Thumpers.  They were preaching the apocalypse, but different versions.  It was interesting, as they started arguing with one another, mocking each other, etc.  Eventually the campus police came because of the threat of a religious war breaking out.

Dude that is awesome!  Our Bible Thumpers never go preaching in groups so less of a possbility for Jesus inspired mob violence.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on September 11, 2012, 11:55:52 AM
I got a cow bell from them.

Everytime a cowbell rings a secular humanist goes to hell.

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on September 10, 2012, 07:38:19 PM
Jake,  I never saw any of this, and a former student currently attending the AFA has never mentioned it, either.  I am sure that it goes on, but I don't have any evidence that it goes on in any scale.

That's good to know :)

I'd expect that there are all sorts of issues with an institution as big as the US Armed Forces, and I expect that given the place religion holds in American society some of those issues will involve religion. My sense is that it probably does go on, and sometimes as bad as the sensationalist stories portray, but that there is quite a long way to go before it's an institutional problem... but I don't know, so it's nice to hear from people who are somewhat more exposed to the facts.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on September 11, 2012, 05:08:31 PM
I expect that given the place religion holds in American society some of those issues will involve religion.

The place religion holds is rather complicated actually.  I mean very few people here have any idea what the Bible says or any real understanding of religion while 100 years ago you could expect anybody with a decent education to be very familiar with those things.  In many parts of the country religion is almost entirely absent, while in others it is really dominant.  Yet, bizarrely, giving lip service to religion is always really important.  Even as a religious person I am not really sure what to make of it.

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on September 11, 2012, 05:19:56 PMThe place religion holds is rather complicated actually.  I mean very few people here have any idea what the Bible says or any real understanding of religion while 100 years ago you could expect anybody with a decent education to be very familiar with those things.  In many parts of the country religion is almost entirely absent, while in others it is really dominant.  Yet, bizarrely, giving lip service to religion is always really important.  Even as a religious person I am not really sure what to make of it.

Yeah, it's fascinating and, as an outsider, pretty alien sometimes.