Canada closes ambassy in Iran, expels all iranian diplomats

Started by viper37, September 07, 2012, 09:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Legbiter on September 07, 2012, 12:02:05 PM
Iran stole Canada's strategic maple syrup reserve? :hmm:

I guess they found a use for those giant trained ants mentioned by Herodotus.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on September 07, 2012, 12:46:49 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on September 07, 2012, 12:02:05 PM
Iran stole Canada's strategic maple syrup reserve? :hmm:

I guess they found a use for those giant trained ants mentioned by Herodotus.  :D
you misclassify one mole and you become a running joke for millennia!
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 07, 2012, 10:58:51 AM
Quote from: viper37 on September 07, 2012, 09:19:08 AM
Prelude to war?  Should we expect a US-Canada attack on Iran by February 2013?

What do we have to do with this? :huh:
it's not like Canada has a foreign policy of its own.  While maintaining the appearance of a British colony ( :yuck: ), we're still closely aligned on US policy.  If there's a US attack on Iran coming, Canadians in their ambassy or anywhere in the country won't be safe.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

If the US decided to get more muscular with Iran, I expect that Canada - especially with Harper at the helm - would support them.

But I would not expect the US to give Canada advance notice to the point that we'd get lead time to pull out embassy staff before any of the other indicators - like say increased American rhetoric aimed at Iran trying to make the case to the American public.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on September 07, 2012, 01:03:53 PM
But I would not expect the US to give Canada advance notice to the point that we'd get lead time to pull out embassy staff before any of the other indicators - like say increased American rhetoric aimed at Iran trying to make the case to the American public.

Especially now during an election year.  I would assume that Clinton/Obama would want to be out front on that issue.

Ed Anger

The ever unreliable Debka file site thinks a move against Syria in imminent and Iran will join with Assad.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on September 07, 2012, 01:03:53 PM
oh no, I don't think they got advance notice.  But over the course of regular discussions, maybe they got a few pointers to the effect that something was coming, and it was coming sooner than later.  Lots of small stuff goes on beyond the scene.  Maybe it ain't war, maybe it's just normal procedure.  We'll know when it happens, I guess.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 07, 2012, 02:26:30 PM
The ever unreliable Debka file site thinks a move against Syria in imminent and Iran will join with Assad.

A little wag the dog?  The timing is certainly right.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Did Harper kick the Iranian ambassador into a giant pit?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point