The DNC KenyanCommieMooselimbDidn'tBuildIt MegaThread!

Started by CountDeMoney, September 03, 2012, 10:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

Its quite possible. It doesn't have to be a bank heist.

It can be stealing from loved ones, enticing others to steal to feed/clothe them, or computer crimes.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Eddie Teach

And if they don't get away with the crime, the state ends up paying even more.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Admiral Yi

Quote from: grumbler on September 08, 2012, 10:40:44 AM
Care to expand on this?  How do employees get credited for their "contribution" to corporate taxes?  How do employees of a nonprofit differ from employees at a profit-making company running in the red?

I could repeat that it's Max and Crazy Canuck's argument, not mine, but I doubt that will do much good.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: grumbler on September 08, 2012, 10:48:11 AM
I would have thought this to be rather obvious.  Social Security taxes pay disabled people enough that they don't have to resort to begging or crime to obtain their daily needs.  Medicare taxes reimburse healthcare providers so that those in locales with large numbers of old folks don't get driven out of business by being forced to provide emergency care for old people who cannot afford to buy medical care and drugs on their own.

Feel free to explain why you didn't realize this.

I concede the point about Social Security Disability.  Medicare is not a contribution to the common good for the same reason the bulk of Social Security is not--in return for payments into the system you obtain a claim against the system.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 08, 2012, 04:34:06 PMI concede the point about Social Security Disability.  Medicare is not a contribution to the common good for the same reason the bulk of Social Security is not--in return for payments into the system you obtain a claim against the system.

So? If you contribute to medicare you contribute to the health of your fellow citizens.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on September 08, 2012, 04:42:51 PM
So? If you contribute to medicare you contribute to the health of your fellow citizens.

The so is the part I already mentioned.  If you make a contribution, then recieve a service or payment back which equals that contribution, you are not making a net contribution to anyone else's welfare.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 08, 2012, 04:51:06 PM
Quote from: Jacob on September 08, 2012, 04:42:51 PM

The so is the part I already mentioned.  If you make a contribution, then recieve a service or payment back which equals that contribution, you are not making a net contribution to anyone else's welfare.
You know full well that it doesn't really work that way.  First of all, SS and Medicare are effectively pay-as-you-go systems, even if for political reasons they are not classified as such.  Second of all, even taking the classification of such programs at face value, there is still a redistributive element to them.  While your benefit payouts scale with the contributions you made, they don't scale linearly.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on September 08, 2012, 04:53:22 PM
You know full well that it doesn't really work that way.  First of all, SS and Medicare are effectively pay-as-you-go systems, even if for political reasons they are not classified as such.  Second of all, even taking the classification of such programs at face value, there is still a redistributive element to them.  While your benefit payouts scale with the contributions you made, they don't scale linearly.

Agreed, they don't scale linearly and there is a redistributive element.  But that just compounds my existing argument; Social Security redistributes money from the top of the income distribution to the bottom.

There is also a gigantic redistributive component from singles to marrieds, but that's a whole nuther discussion.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 08, 2012, 04:51:06 PM

Medicare and Medicaid are defined-benefit programs, I believe.  They are insurance programs in that sense, not savings accounts.  One can argue that redistribution is bad, but one can't argue that contributions equal paybacks for the participants.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 08, 2012, 05:29:05 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 08, 2012, 04:53:22 PM

Agreed, they don't scale linearly and there is a redistributive element.  But that just compounds my existing argument; Social Security redistributes money from the top of the income distribution to the bottom.

There is also a gigantic redistributive component from singles to marrieds, but that's a whole nuther discussion.

SS transfers wealth from the young to the old more than it does from the rich to the poor.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 08, 2012, 04:51:06 PMThe so is the part I already mentioned.  If you make a contribution, then recieve a service or payment back which equals that contribution, you are not making a net contribution to anyone else's welfare.

Ah, I think I see the disconnect.

You seem obsessed with dividing everything into "givers" and "takers" as some sort of moral imperative. That's not the point. The point is to participate in the system by both giving and taking as appropriate, and thus both prosper and ensure that others have the best chance of prospering as well. It's about making sure that society as a whole prospers by doing your share when you can, and knowing that others will do theirs when you cannot. It's not about tallying up plusses and minuses in columns and making sure they balance out on an individual basis.

sbr

Quote from: Jacob on September 08, 2012, 10:26:20 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 08, 2012, 04:51:06 PMThe so is the part I already mentioned.  If you make a contribution, then recieve a service or payment back which equals that contribution, you are not making a net contribution to anyone else's welfare.

Ah, I think I see the disconnect.

You seem obsessed with dividing everything into "givers" and "takers" as some sort of moral imperative. That's not the point. The point is to participate in the system by both giving and taking as appropriate, and thus both prosper and ensure that others have the best chance of prospering as well. It's about making sure that society as a whole prospers by doing your share when you can, and knowing that others will do theirs when you cannot. It's not about tallying up plusses and minuses in columns and making sure they balance out on an individual basis.

:yes: