News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Better Opening Sequence: Shaft or Get Carter?

Started by Queequeg, September 03, 2012, 11:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Two of my favorite 70s movies.  Get Carter is the better movie, even if Shaft is more fun.  But which has the better opening sequence?

Shaft
5 (50%)
Get Carter
1 (10%)
I am no watching Obama movie, Gorbachev of America!
4 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Josquius

Get Carter is the better film though Shaft has the better opening.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on September 04, 2012, 05:23:06 AM

Ditto.
Interesting, though;  the only place more depressing than America in 1971 was Europe.  WHO KNEW

Now here's a cool intro theme to a badass movie, jazzy and hip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-WYm9nl32Q

Viking

Shaft has the better opening, Get Carter has one of the best endings in cinema.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ed Anger

QuoteI am no watching Obama movie, Gorbachev of America!

:lol:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 04, 2012, 05:47:49 AM
Ditto.
Interesting, though;  the only place more depressing than America in 1971 was Europe.  WHO KNEW

In the early 80s we got a lot of 70s movies on German TV. My general impression was that 1970s cities (European or American) were pretty depressing dumps, and I didn't enjoy those movies as a kid.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Syt on September 04, 2012, 07:58:45 AM
Ditto.

In the early 80s we got a lot of 70s movies on German TV. My general impression was that 1970s cities (European or American) were pretty depressing dumps, and I didn't enjoy those movies as a kid.

And everybody is filthy. I tried rewatching Convoy awhile back. I started feeling icky after 10 minutes of watching dirty people. Dirty lyle indeed.

:yuk:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Gups

Ditto.
Interesting, though;  the only place more depressing than America in 1971 was EuropeEngland.  WHO KNEW

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

It could have just been a style of filming rather than what the cities actually looked like.  Grittiness was considered cool at the time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Gups on September 04, 2012, 08:04:41 AM

Ditto.
Interesting, though;  the only place more depressing than America in 1971 was EuropeEngland.  WHO KNEW

I didn't want you guys to think I was singling you out.   :blush:

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on September 04, 2012, 08:12:39 AM

It could have just been a style of filming rather than what the cities actually looked like.  Grittiness was considered cool at the time.

Nah.  Urban areas were dumps.  Urban decay was nearing it's height as people fled to the suburbs.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.