American Academy of Pediatrics: Benefits of Circumcision Outweigh Risks

Started by jimmy olsen, August 28, 2012, 12:06:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

The US doctors don't have the same racist motivation that Europeans do.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Maximus

Quote from: Syt on August 28, 2012, 12:29:43 AM
I think it's a storm in a tea cup. Millions of people live with/without foreskin just fine. I think whether you have it or not has a microscopic impact on your daily life, and everyone screaming, ZOMG YOU MUST/MUSTN'T CIRCUMCISE need to chill the fuck out.
Agree. Most of the shrillness comes from the must side though, which makes it fun to poke them.

Malthus

Quote from: Maximus on August 28, 2012, 08:19:28 AM
Quote from: Syt on August 28, 2012, 12:29:43 AM
I think it's a storm in a tea cup. Millions of people live with/without foreskin just fine. I think whether you have it or not has a microscopic impact on your daily life, and everyone screaming, ZOMG YOU MUST/MUSTN'T CIRCUMCISE need to chill the fuck out.
Agree. Most of the shrillness comes from the must side though, which makes it fun to poke them.

Disagree. As far as I can see there is no "must" side.

Is anyone these days saying that parents must circumcise?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Maximus

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Maximus

Seedy would be the prime example. Neil, although he's probably trolling too.

Barrister

Quote from: Maximus on August 28, 2012, 08:34:27 AM
I'm referring to languishites and yeah, there's a number

:yeahright:

I don't give a fuck if people don't get their boys circumcised, and I don't think the other Languish dads do either.  I'm not certain who you are referring to.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on August 28, 2012, 07:57:35 AM
You don't get what Marty is saying.

Let's try to come at it from a different angle: if we, as a society say, that you should not be performing cosmetic surgery on non-consenting individuals (even children), then circumcision should not be exempt of this just because joos and mooslimbs do it.

And I agree.

"non-consenting" is a deliberate dodge on this one.  Infants are incapable of any kind of consent.  Hell, I do things to my 2 year old a dozen or more times a day that he does not consent to - going to be, sitting on the potty, washing his teeth, coming inside.

The thing about circumcision is it is far, far preferable to be done on an infant, and much more problematic if done on an adult.  To insist on "consent" is the under-handed way to ban circumcision.

Malthus

In reality, the debate is between those saying it is up to the parents to choose, and those saying there outta be a law against it.

Of the two, quite naturally the prohibitionists are the more "shrill". They and they alone are motivated purely by moral outrage at the acts of others. The other side is in effect saying that the decision is no big deal. Prohibition requires that the decision be a big deal.

Maximus

:lol: The same arguments keep getting trotted out every time we have this discussion no matter how often they are dismissed.

Barrister

Quote from: Maximus on August 28, 2012, 09:22:55 AM
:lol: The same arguments keep getting trotted out every time we have this discussion no matter how often they are dismissed.

Don't dodge the question - who exactly is saying children must be circumcised? :contract:

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on August 28, 2012, 09:24:41 AM

Don't dodge the question - who exactly is saying children must be circumcised? :contract:

Quote from: Maximus on August 28, 2012, 08:42:19 AM
Seedy would be the prime example. Neil, although he's probably trolling too.

:hmm:

Quote from: Malthus on August 28, 2012, 09:11:13 AM
In reality, the debate is between those saying it is up to the parents to choose, and those saying there outta be a law against it.

Of the two, quite naturally the prohibitionists are the more "shrill". They and they alone are motivated purely by moral outrage at the acts of others. The other side is in effect saying that the decision is no big deal. Prohibition requires that the decision be a big deal.

And I agree with this entirely.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Maximus

Hint: it was in the post before yours.

Barrister

Quote from: Maximus on August 28, 2012, 09:34:18 AM

Hint: it was in the post before yours.

Neil is undoubtedly trolling - he's posting after all.

Seedy?  :yeahright:  I don't think I've ever seen him post on the topic.

Maximus

Quote from: Malthus on August 28, 2012, 09:11:13 AM

I don't think libertarianism is the default position when it comes to removing body parts. Especially other people's body parts. Somewhere there is a line where it's not ok and I don't think painting concern about where that line is as "moral outrage" is particularly helpful.