News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The GOP Convention MegaMittensThread!

Started by CountDeMoney, August 27, 2012, 12:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on August 27, 2012, 08:41:40 PM
Poor Madcow seems to be having to dig up obscure crape to hitch about, what with nobody speaking today.

Stop hating the truth.  Stop Leaning Backward.

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 27, 2012, 08:51:46 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 27, 2012, 08:41:40 PM
Poor Madcow seems to be having to dig up obscure crape to hitch about, what with nobody speaking today.

WHY ARE YOU WATCHING MSNBC?

It's always sort of been a guilty pleasure.  Know your enemy and all that.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

citizen k

Quote from: Ideologue on August 27, 2012, 08:53:47 PM
QuoteThey have no business being there. Our message is to them is that your home is in the Democratic Party

HEY GARBON

Quote"Too many Republicans are misunderstanding what being a conservative is all about. It's about keeping the government out of our lives to the greatest extent possible," said Ms. Longwell, who recently became engaged to her longtime girlfriend in Washington, D.C., where gay marriage is legal.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on August 27, 2012, 10:11:35 PM
It's always sort of been a guilty pleasure.  Know your enemy and all that.

You know you're all about Big Ed.

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on August 27, 2012, 08:53:47 PM
QuoteThey have no business being there. Our message is to them is that your home is in the Democratic Party

HEY GARBON

Is that supposed to phase me? I'm sure the AFA would also say I have no business going to church.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on August 27, 2012, 10:45:07 PM
Is that supposed to phase me? I'm sure the AFA would also say I have no business going to church.

A lot of organizations associated with the conservatards would say you have no business doing a lot of things.  Like doing your gay thing.  Or voting.  Or using the same bathroom I do.

But you go ahead, and keep rooting for them.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 27, 2012, 10:50:50 PM

A lot of organizations associated with the conservatards would say you have no business doing a lot of things.  Like doing your gay thing.  Or voting.  Or using the same bathroom I do.

Do you even listen to yourself sometimes?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on August 27, 2012, 10:57:06 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 27, 2012, 10:50:50 PM

I don't think he does.  After all, he might then notice that while he's telling me to go ahead and do my own thing, he's really say that I have no business doing so.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on August 27, 2012, 10:57:06 PM

Nope.  But that's OK, I don't listen to you either.

Syt

http://buzzmachine.com/2012/08/25/reporters-why-are-you-in-tampa/

QuoteReporters: Why are you in Tampa?

I challenge every journalist in Tampa for the Republican convention — every one of the 15-16,000 of you — to answer this:
* Why are you there?
* What will we learn from you?
* What actual reporting can you possibly do that delivers anything of value more than the infomercial — light on the info, heavy on the 'mercial — that the conventions have become?
* Would you be better off back at home covering voters and their issues?
* Can we in the strapped news business afford this luxury?

Figure that those 15k journos spend $300 a night each on a hotel room times five nights, plus $500 for transportion. That's $2,000. And I'm figuring they'll be slurping up free meals and drinks. So $2,000 is probably (pardon me) conservative. That's $30,000,000. Now multiply that times two conventions. That's $60,000,000.

Why? For what?

Note that even while newspapers and news organizations have shrunken drastically, we are sending the same number of journalists to the conventions that we sent in 2008 and 2004.

Why? Editorial ego: It's fun to be there, in the pack. It's fun for a paper or station to say, "We have our man/woman in Tampa/Charlotte." Well goody for you.

It's a waste.

Take that $60,000,000 and divide it by a fully loaded labor cost of, say, $100,000 per head and it would pay for 600 reporters for a year. At $50,000 for a hyperlocal reporter, we'd get 1,200 towns covered — more than Patch! What could they do versus what you will do in Tampa and Charlotte transcribing marketing messages and horrid memes?

Or we could pay for Homicide Watch 1,500 times over, instead of just paying attention to a shooting that happens where tourists wander.

Those 15,000 journos will — three-to-one — cover 2,286 delegates (6,000 for those spendthrift Democrats) wearing funny hats, saying nothing new.

At least 3,775 newspaper jobs were lost last year; 39,806 since mid-2007; one in three newsroom jobs have been eliminated since 1989. How's that make you feel, convention press corps?

We can see whatever we want to see on C-SPAN (and I don't begrudge the networks for giving us America's Got Talent instead of the conventions since at least AGT has surprises; the conventions are scripted).

Commentary? There'll be more than we can possibly use this year on Twitter and Google+ and blogs and everywhere. We don't need to pundits' palaver. Citizens will comment this year.

So enjoy yourself, hacks. You're living off the last dollars of your business. And for what? Tradition? Where has that gotten us?

Please prove me wrong. In a week, show me the amazing reporting we couldn't have gotten if you weren't there.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Syt on August 28, 2012, 04:04:27 AM
Commentary? There'll be more than we can possibly use this year on Twitter and Google+ and blogs and everywhere. We don't need to pundits' palaver. Citizens will comment this year.

Yep. Lots of people talking, not many listening, at least not on a scale to support $300 hotel rooms.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Great points, but I wonder if this dude will also criticize the Dem convention coverage.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on August 28, 2012, 09:06:43 AM
Great points, but I wonder if this dude will also criticize the Dem convention coverage.

Probably, considering there may very well be even more journalists there.

Maximus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 28, 2012, 09:38:37 AM

Probably, considering there may very well be even more journalists there.
And considering that he did criticize it in that article.

Neil

Didn't he just do that?  The numbers he's using are for both conventions combined.

Besides, the Democratic convention is ever more pointless than the Republican one.  At least the Republicans are actually trying to sell their message.  The Democrats just have to chant 'Four More Years!' for a few days.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.