News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Books on the Plague

Started by Queequeg, August 27, 2012, 12:47:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Queequeg on August 27, 2012, 12:47:52 AM
Reading a book on the Plague-the Great Mortality by Kelly.  It's sensationalist, and a bit too focused on the (admittedly fascinating) drama of the period, and I don't think there's really been enough of an in-depth picture at the actual experience of having the plague yet, but it still is terrifying enough that I'm pretty sure this was the worst period in human history.  I can't even imagine the scale of the suffering, and all of the different forms of the disease-bubonic, septicemic, pneumonic-seem almost equally terrifying.  I couldn't imagine living with the disease for more than a few hours, and I'm really surprised there weren't more mass suicides on the onset of symptoms. 

Pretty sure 16th century North America would be worse what with the mortality rates of 70-90% obliterating entire nations.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Queequeg

I concede that it was.  My thinking was Eurocentric. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

DGuller

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 31, 2012, 07:10:17 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on August 27, 2012, 12:47:52 AM
Reading a book on the Plague-the Great Mortality by Kelly.  It's sensationalist, and a bit too focused on the (admittedly fascinating) drama of the period, and I don't think there's really been enough of an in-depth picture at the actual experience of having the plague yet, but it still is terrifying enough that I'm pretty sure this was the worst period in human history.  I can't even imagine the scale of the suffering, and all of the different forms of the disease-bubonic, septicemic, pneumonic-seem almost equally terrifying.  I couldn't imagine living with the disease for more than a few hours, and I'm really surprised there weren't more mass suicides on the onset of symptoms. 

Pretty sure 16th century North America would be worse what with the mortality rates of 70-90% obliterating entire nations.
At least North American Indians had blankets to keep themselves comfortable once they fell sick.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.