News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mah box

Started by merithyn, August 24, 2012, 09:20:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

No, not that one. I asked Max to teach me how to make a box/table for a friend as a gift. (I'm involved in a homemade secret gift exchange with about 100 other people.) After ~24 hours of labor, this is what we made. (Max taught me, but I did the bulk of the work. He just did the parts where I was far too unskilled to come close to getting it right.)

The lid comes completely off. The box is ~ 24" x 24" x 22". The box is made of plywood, while the lid is made almost entirely of maple. The center piece is a 1/4" maple plywood. We (Max) routered out the solid maple and the plywood is free-floating in that.

I like it so much that I'm going to make a smaller, less mousy version for myself. This time, I want to try it with even less of Max's help, if I can.:D
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Neat. What's the crest?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

My friend's crest. It's a gold mouse with wings. I have another picture that shows it better, but photobucket won't let me upload it from work.  <_< I drew and hand-painted it.  :showoff:

lustindarkness

Nice box you got there.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

PRC

How are the joints connected?  I can't tell but the last photo looks like nails / screws with filler over them?  If so then your next challenge is use biscuit or dovetail joints.

Brazen

Beautiful work Meri, well done!  :bowler:

What's the significance of der Fledermaus?

merithyn

Quote from: PRC on August 24, 2012, 10:29:56 AM
How are the joints connected?  I can't tell but the last photo looks like nails / screws with filler over them?  If so then your next challenge is use biscuit or dovetail joints.

The entire box is pegged and glued. Not a single bit of metal anywhere on the thing. (First time Max has used this method before, too, so it was fun to work out the specifics together.)

Dovetail joints are on my list, but that may have to wait until we have a proper workshop. I think that might be too hard with just using a sheet of warped plywood over two sawhorses.

merithyn

Quote from: Brazen on August 24, 2012, 10:44:55 AM
Beautiful work Meri, well done!  :bowler:

What's the significance of der Fledermaus?

Thanks! I was highly impressed with how well it turned out. There were any number of times when I thought it was never going to work.

No idea. It's her crest, so I put it on the box. Her favorite colors are red, black, and gold, too, hence the colors on the box.

CountDeMoney

MISLEADING THREAD TITLE

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

I used to make shelves. Made a lot of shelves. In craft.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.