News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Building New PC

Started by sbr, August 23, 2012, 06:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

After sporting the i5-9600k for a couple of months. It is simply not powerful enough for my requirement.

Got a i9-9900k, still in the box, that is on insane box for a CPU. 12 sided dice look.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

yeah, I had an i5 for a little while.  Wasn't powerful enough.  Crappy cpu.  Anything below i7 in Intel is not powerful enough.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Liep

Time to upgrade the 2013 PC. Anyone care to comment on this? (I assume Vricklund will rise from the dead to call the case ugly).

Crucial 16 GB, DDR4, 3600 MHz - DKK628,00
Seasonic S12III Series SSR-650GB3 - DKK578,00
Corsair Carbide 275R, Black - DKK556,00
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition - DKK343,00
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X - 3rd Gen - DKK1.694,00
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER OC 6GB GDDR6 - DKK1.789,00
Team Group SSD GX2 1TB 2.5 SATA III - DKK706,00
MSI B460M PRO-VDH WIFI Socket 1200 - DKK755,00

Total: €1003,76

I'm aiming for mid-range able to play CK3, Red Dead Redemption 2, GTA6 when it arrives in a few years, Flight Simulator, and the new FP shooter games whatever they may be.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Grey Fox

At 1080p, this will run on high.

That's basically my system & run FS2020 on high.

viper37

Quote from: Liep on September 08, 2020, 02:40:49 PM
Time to upgrade the 2013 PC. Anyone care to comment on this? (I assume Vricklund will rise from the dead to call the case ugly).

Crucial 16 GB, DDR4, 3600 MHz - DKK628,00
Seasonic S12III Series SSR-650GB3 - DKK578,00
Corsair Carbide 275R, Black - DKK556,00
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition - DKK343,00
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X - 3rd Gen - DKK1.694,00
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER OC 6GB GDDR6 - DKK1.789,00
Team Group SSD GX2 1TB 2.5 SATA III - DKK706,00
MSI B460M PRO-VDH WIFI Socket 1200 - DKK755,00

Total: €1003,76

I'm aiming for mid-range able to play CK3, Red Dead Redemption 2, GTA6 when it arrives in a few years, Flight Simulator, and the new FP shooter games whatever they may be.
Ryzen 7 3700x is 75 GBP more, might be worth it.  Although the R5 is plenty powerful on its own :)

The retail version of the Ryzen "X" CPU come with their own excellent Wraith cooler.  Unless you plan on overclocking like crazy, it ain't necessary.  The fan you have will not be quieter anyway, if that was the goal.

Avoid MSI board like the plague.  Go with Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte.
Also, you have a CPU cooler for overclocking, but the B450 lines of chipset are not that decent for overclocking, most options are locked.  Aim for X570 chipset if that is the case.
Keep in mind that your video card cooler is barely better than stock cooler and again, might be inadequate for overclocking.

So, I'd drop the extra fan and keep the B460 for mid-rig gaming kit, take the RYzen 7 with the money saved.  Or keep the fan and invest in a better motherboard and another edition of the card with triple fans or an aftermarket cooler.

For 10 GBP more, you get a much more decent SSD drive in the Western Digital SN750, also 1TB.  It's a NVMe M.2280 drive so make sure the board you pick will have such a slot.  At the top of the line Samsung is still king with it's 970Pro, though, much pricier (likely double).  The Western Digital SN550 can also be a decent budget SSD.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Liep

Thanks!

WD Black SN750 SSD M.2 1TB
Corsair Carbide 275R
Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT Gaming OC
Gigabyte B550 GAMING X Socket AM4, ATX
Crucial 16 GB, DDR4, 3600 MHz
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G5
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, 8x 3.60GHz, boxed

Total €1443,61

A somewhat upgraded build I guess and my question would be is it worth €400?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Grey Fox

Can you hold off on the video card a little? Let AMD react to the Nvidia 30XX series bombshell. May be able to get the 5700 for cheaper.

Liep

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 09, 2020, 07:39:46 AM
Can you hold off on the video card a little? Let AMD react to the Nvidia 30XX series bombshell. May be able to get the 5700 for cheaper.

I could, I've also considered waiting for the new Xbox and getting that instead. But I really can only play with a mouse and keyboard, I hate controllers.

Liep

I have horrible self control.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AC ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL20 Memory
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card
Case: Corsair 275R Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Monitor: Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor

So I ended up getting a new monitor too as the 10 year old Dell didn't really seem worthy of this new PC, besides a friend wanted to buy it and the old PC. Total price €1887. I tell myself it's fine as my iPhone 7 still doesn't really need an upgrade and this is roughly the same price as a new iPhone. And if it lasts 7 years as the old one did then it's only €22/month. :P

viper37

Well, like GF, I would have waited a little for the new video card, but you bought it, so it's ok, no buyer remorse on this.

I recently bought this monitor (it was half price when I bought it:)
Link
I would have recommended this one too, had the price been similar to what I've paid.
But curved vs flat is mostly a matter of preference :)

Grey Fox

#jealous.

Instead of buying a 400$ monitor, I bought 300$ of keyboard & mouse.

Liep

So I guess I didn't have this problem the last time as I installed windows by dvd. I have a flash drive now but I can't boot it because my keyboard isn't working and I can't press f12

Grey Fox

Use a different USB port. Your bios doesn't recognize all of them on boot up.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 10, 2020, 01:16:08 PM
#jealous.

Instead of buying a 400$ monitor, I bought 300$ of keyboard & mouse.
well, I had no choice, my MSI monitor died on me.  2 years and 2 month.  With a warranty of 2 years. :(

But I always hated the colors on the MSI, wanted to change it sometime next year though :(

viper37

Quote from: Liep on September 10, 2020, 04:43:45 PM
So I guess I didn't have this problem the last time as I installed windows by dvd. I have a flash drive now but I can't boot it because my keyboard isn't working and I can't press f12
If GF trick does not work, an old PS/2 keyboard would assuredly work.