Here is my draft hardware list:

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
Board:  Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard
RAM:  Team T-FORCE DARK Za 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive*
GPU:  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE 2X Video Card**
Case:  Fractal Design Define 7 ATX Mid Tower Case
PSU:  EVGA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Edit: changes made to RAM (based on MB QVL review) and Storage (upgraded from 970 Evo to take advantage of PCIe 4.0)

* I am also moving over a 1 Tb SATA SSD from my prior PC.
** Also will be moving over from my prior PC.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

viper37

the PCIE 4.0 SSD will not make any noticeable difference.  But I guess at this point, it's not the priciest piece of hardware in your kit, so why not? :D

don't forget to upgrade the bios when you get your computer.  Although board manufacturers have adapted since the early days of Ryzens, they still tend to lag a bit behind with memory compatibility.  It's possible you may have to temporarily downclock your memory speed to 3000-3200mhz the first time you boot. :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Caliga

I will need to flash the BIOS from USB prior to anything else, because the current BIOS on the board doesn't support the CPU I got.

viper37

A USB 2.0 might be needed.  It's unsure if the board will support a USB 3.0/3.1 key.  Asus recommends USB 2.0, at least.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Caliga

Quote from: viper37 on March 15, 2021, 01:40:48 PM
A USB 2.0 might be needed.  It's unsure if the board will support a USB 3.0/3.1 key.  Asus recommends USB 2.0, at least.
Right, the manual said 'USB 2.0 recommended' so I dropped $5 and bought one off Amazon which will be here today.

Caliga

Got as far as testing the PSU with an included tester cap tonight, and, well, it's alive. :)  I've got two USB drives sitting on my workbench, one for the BIOS flash and the other with the Windows 10 installer.

Caliga

Just ran BIOS Flashback on the board and it looks like it ran successfully (blinking indicator LED for like five minutes, then it went out, as opposed to turned solid).  I will continue with the build tonight.  I'm also taking pics and will post them here.

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on March 16, 2021, 09:29:30 AM
Quote from: viper37 on March 15, 2021, 01:40:48 PM
Right, the manual said 'USB 2.0 recommended' so I dropped $5 and bought one off Amazon which will be here today.
it will provide you with minutes of pure bliss while it is used to upgrade your bios flawlessly :P

QuoteJust ran BIOS Flashback on the board and it looks like it ran successfully (blinking indicator LED for like five minutes, then it went out, as opposed to turned solid). 
I think it's expected behavior.  I can't remember any lights on the back after using this method on mine.

QuoteI will continue with the build tonight.  I'm also taking pics and will post them here.
Great! :)

Caliga

Right, ASUS says it will stay lit if there's a problem, and shut off if it's completed successfully, which it did.  I left power to the board for a few minutes after, just in case, and then shut the PSU off.

Next step of course is to install the CPU, memory, and GPU.  I was annoyed to discover that this board doesn't have an inline power switch... most ASUS boards I've built on before do.  I REALLY don't want to install the core system to the case unless it will POST, so I think I'm going to jump the power switch with a screwdriver after I put those parts on it. :sleep:

Caliga

Caliga

For whatever reason I couldn't get the board's power pins to jump, so I ended up busting out the case and just hooking the power wire up, and from there it booted right to BIOS, and everything in there checks out. :)

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on March 17, 2021, 08:51:53 PM
For whatever reason I couldn't get the board's power pins to jump, so I ended up busting out the case and just hooking the power wire up, and from there it booted right to BIOS, and everything in there checks out. :)
Great! Enjoy your work now!

What is going to be your first game played on this new toy? :)

Caliga

Flight Simulator.  Duh  :P

I'm posting from it now; build is done.  I just need to swap my 1 TB SATA SSD into it, as well as video card, from my old build and I'll be good to go.

Also, Windows doesn't seem to give a shit at all that I didn't put a license key in.  I knew Microsoft had lightened up but I didn't realize by how much they had.  I'm going to swap my old PC license key in eventually (it's Retail, so I should be able to do that).

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on March 19, 2021, 05:02:21 PM
Flight Simulator.  Duh  :P

I'm posting from it now; build is done.  I just need to swap my 1 TB SATA SSD into it, as well as video card, from my old build and I'll be good to go.

Also, Windows doesn't seem to give a shit at all that I didn't put a license key in.  I knew Microsoft had lightened up but I didn't realize by how much they had.  I'm going to swap my old PC license key in eventually (it's Retail, so I should be able to do that).

Glad the builds going well, interesting read but a bit beyond my abilities.

Cal, where do you get the Window 10 installers from, as I've a couple of family win 10 budget laptops that need fresh installs and the SSC fixed storage isn't big enough because of all of the crud Win 10 normal operations has deposited on them.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Caliga

I have a 128 GB SSD and I downloaded Windows directly from Microsoft.  They have something called Windows Media Creation Tool on their website, and you just tell it what edition of Windows 10 you want and that you want to install it from USB, and it gives you a downloader that literally does all the work for you.