News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Building New PC

Started by sbr, August 23, 2012, 06:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

I always buy Samsung SSDs, and Samsung's drive clone program has worked flawlessly for me when I've used it, just FYI.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on January 18, 2021, 09:23:15 AM
I like lots of cores, but I don't think I have any apps (even FS2020) that would make use of them.
I don't think any games use more than 6-8 cores.

Threadrippers are useful for video editing and video upscaling to 4k, where there are applications that uses all these cores (Topaz, there's a great tutorial/demonstration out there where the author uses a Threadripper and a GTX 2080 to upscale DS9 DVDs to near Blu Ray quality; it takes about 12hrs/video hr to process...)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Pedrito on January 18, 2021, 01:27:50 PM
Quote from: viper37 on January 12, 2021, 11:51:19 AM
Quote from: Pedrito on January 10, 2021, 05:23:33 PM
:cheers: :cheers:

Next week parts will be arriving, I'll keep you updated on the operations. Thank you!

L.
Looking forward to it! :)

Build completed in a couple hours (including a complete dusting of case and fans)!
But more important, the link you gave me about cloning the HDD was an absolute blessing: not only the cloning program, AOMEI Backupper, is fast, safe and dumb-proof, but in the article they suggest using AOMEI Partition Assistant to manage the partitions: well, this one is even easier to use, and partition managing, that the last time I installed a new HD was an absolute headache, has become a breeze.
Thank you so much, Viper, much appreciated help! :cheers:

L.

I really like AOEMEI backupper, I use the free version at home, and the professionnal one in the office and it works much better, for a fraction of the price, than most other softwares I've tried.

I haven't worked yet with the Partition Manager, but it'll be my next software when I need to move my stuff :)

I'm glad it helped :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Caliga

Quote from: viper37 on January 19, 2021, 04:18:04 PM
Threadrippers are useful for video editing and video upscaling to 4k, where there are applications that uses all these cores (Topaz, there's a great tutorial/demonstration out there where the author uses a Threadripper and a GTX 2080 to upscale DS9 DVDs to near Blu Ray quality; it takes about 12hrs/video hr to process...)
Yeah, I don't do any of that shit.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Caliga on January 20, 2021, 10:54:42 AM
Quote from: viper37 on January 19, 2021, 04:18:04 PM
Yeah, I don't do any of that shit.
Maybe virtualize the shit out of your massive home server setup?
PDH!

Caliga

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on February 12, 2021, 12:27:24 PM
Quote from: Caliga on January 16, 2021, 10:44:55 AM
Ryzen 5 CPUs are out of stock everywhere
:glare:
Amazon.com shows 3600 and 5600 in stock.  No idea on the price, though, I haven't compared anywhere.

Caliga

Yeah, those are price gougers.  I only pay MSRP for stuff.

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on February 15, 2021, 04:29:01 PM
Yeah, those are price gougers.  I only pay MSRP for stuff.
ugh.  I just checked the prices on Newegg Canada for a Ryzen 5 5600x,  559$ CAN.  My office system in whole, with a 1st gen Ryzen 5 costed me less than that, I think :P
But, hey, they got one in stock, so you might rush and pay the price  gouger while it lasts :P
Alternatively, I would suggest watching E-bay for older generation Ryzen 7.  There might be people insane enough to buy a CPU at such a price and willing to offload their old one.

Caliga

At this point I'm going to wait for the Rocket Lake launch and see how that goes.  No matter what I want PCIe 4.0, so I wouldn't do a Comet Lake build, and like I said the supply of the Zen 3 chips is total shit right now so can't proceed with an AMD build. :glare:

Caliga

Early Rocket Lake reviews are crap.

I finally just went ahead and preordered a Ryzen 5 5600X on Amazon.  It will supposedly ship on April 1st.

Caliga

Quote from: Caliga on March 08, 2021, 10:45:24 AM
Early Rocket Lake reviews are crap.

I finally just went ahead and preordered a Ryzen 5 5600X on Amazon.  It will supposedly ship on April 1st.
...and it'll apparently be here tomorrow. :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Caliga

..and it's here. :)

Ok, tonight I'm going to finish a draft buildout and I'll post it here, and then start working to acquire the other parts.

Grey Fox

You gotta love shipping departments not giving a shit about what marketing or procurement thinks.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Darth Wagtaros

I hope you are ricing it up with LED's and some cool logos!
PDH!