RATM, Dee Snider giving Paul Ryan shit about his iPod

Started by CountDeMoney, August 23, 2012, 02:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

ulmont

Quote from: viper37 on August 23, 2012, 05:01:35 PM
Question on copyrights:
1- Can Dee Snyder do anything legally to stop Paul Ryan so long as the proper fees were paid?
2- Can Dee Snyder do anything legally to stop Paul Ryan if he uses a cover of "We're not gonna take it"?

Answer to both questions is "it depends."  There are 3 big licensing agencies - BMI, ASCAP, and I forget the other one - that between them have the right to license practically every song in the U.S.  These are the guys you pay for permission to perform music in your bars and clubs and whatnot.  If Ryan has the right permissions from these guys, the answer is pretty much nothing.  If he doesn't, then Dee can likely get $3000-$150000 per performance and require Ryan to stop playing his song.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: ulmont on August 23, 2012, 08:24:50 PM
Question on copyrights:
1- Can Dee Snyder do anything legally to stop Paul Ryan so long as the proper fees were paid?
2- Can Dee Snyder do anything legally to stop Paul Ryan if he uses a cover of "We're not gonna take it"?

Answer to both questions is "it depends."  There are 3 big licensing agencies - BMI, ASCAP, and I forget the other one - that between them have the right to license practically every song in the U.S.  These are the guys you pay for permission to perform music in your bars and clubs and whatnot.  If Ryan has the right permissions from these guys, the answer is pretty much nothing.  If he doesn't, then Dee can likely get $3000-$150000 per performance and require Ryan to stop playing his song.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

There are 3 big licensing agencies - BMI, ASCAP, and I forget the other one -

You forgot those Tennesseeweenies, SESAC.

dps

Question on copyrights:

It's a little more complicated than that, especially when it comes to a cover.  Once a song is writen, recorded, and released, you can't stop someone else from releasing a cover (you can stop them from releasing a cover of a song that hasn't otherwise been released yet, but that wouldn't apply here).  So the campaign could have someone record a cover, and then use the cover--but they couldn't do so in a way that creates the impression that it's the Twisted Sister original.

Ideologue

I mean, Morello's right and all, but it's not that big a deal.  I like David Allen Coe.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

Why is something that a drug- and alcohol-addled person who can sing a tune has to say is relevant enough to warrant a new thread?

Martinus

Quote from: Viking on August 23, 2012, 02:52:08 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 23, 2012, 02:50:38 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 23, 2012, 02:46:16 PM
So RATM's entire fanbase are morons?  I agree.

HEY NOW

I agree, but the thing is that sensible reasonable politics never ever produces good music. Revolutions always have the best songs.

That is correct. For example, the French have the best fucking anthem ever.

Eddie Teach

I'm sure Siege's song is every bit as annoying as Marty's, but at least I've never heard it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on August 24, 2012, 01:19:45 AM
Why is something that a drug- and alcohol-addled person who can sing a tune has to say is relevant enough to warrant a new thread?

Tom Morello and Dee Snider are drunken drug users?  :huh:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Because I fucking decided it was.  Why are you always a whiny ass bitch on Fridays?

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 24, 2012, 05:41:17 AM

Because I fucking decided it was.  Why are you always a whiny ass bitch on Fridays?

I am hung-over (I took my bf to a party at my female-partner-at-another-lawfirm friend last night; we had a blast and drank tons of wine; funny thing - all lawyer chicks there had long term male partners who were both hotter and significantly younger than themselves; so I fit right in :D).

And you are begining to sound tribalistically partisan - now everything that can be used to hit the enemy over the head, no matter how trivial and silly, is newsworthy. And all you do it for a guy in the pocket of big pharma.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on August 24, 2012, 05:47:43 AM
And you are begining to sound tribalistically partisan - now everything that can be used to hit the enemy over the head, no matter how trivial and silly, is newsworthy. And all you do it for a guy in the pocket of big pharma.

Beginning?  Get fucking used to it, it's not even convention time yet.