Scandal as Finnish national hero Mannerheim played by black actor

Started by Solmyr, August 16, 2012, 05:32:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 16, 2012, 01:23:57 PM
So bottom line: Mannerheim was a homophobic square who fought alongside the Nazis.
All righting-thinking people hated fags back then, and if you were living in Eastern Europe, then fighting alongside the Nazis was the only moral choice.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

They could fight with British help...until we betray them to the Soviets :(
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

I'm not saying the Continuation War can't be justified.
I'm just saying "Fought with Axis Powers in WW2" isn't something I would highlight on my resume.  Just ask the Pope.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 17, 2012, 09:20:23 AM
I'm not saying the Continuation War can't be justified.
I'm just saying "Fought with Axis Powers in WW2" isn't something I would highlight on my resume.  Just ask the Pope.

Just depends on how you spin it.  "Fighting the Soviets" looks pretty damned good to me.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on August 17, 2012, 10:25:10 AM
Just depends on how you spin it.  "Fighting the Soviets" looks pretty damned good to me.

That's what Goering's PR agent said.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 17, 2012, 10:51:14 AM
Quote from: derspiess on August 17, 2012, 10:25:10 AM

That's what Goering's PR agent said.

But Mannerheim can't highlight obesity and morphine addiction in the "Interests" section of his resume, so he has to work with what he's got.  :(
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on August 17, 2012, 03:03:33 AM
The Finnish Jägers were trained, btw, near my old hometown. It used to be called Lockstedter Lager and was a major training site during WW1 (up to 10,000 soldiers at one time); these days it's called Hohenlockstedt. Taking the bus to the next best shopping town always led through the town and past the "Jääkärimuistomerkki" signpost that pointed the way to a small memorial where every year a small ceremony is held in memory of the Jägers.

:)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Mannerheim is one of the greatest and most successful figures of the 20th century. :wub:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Siege

Quote from: HVC on August 16, 2012, 06:04:05 AM
why are kenyans making a film about a finish dude?

Why like, EVERYBODY, makes films about Moses, David, etc, etc???

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Quote from: Siege on August 20, 2012, 09:07:36 PM

Because the Hebrews don't exist anymore, so they belong to all of us.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Drakken

Not everybody, Americans do.

Bible-Thumper Americans have some weird fetish for the Old Testament, because the God in it is an angry, PMS God. They can quote obscure Ancient references from the Old Testament more than from even the Evangiles themselves. You'd think that for Jesus-worshippers, they'd actually quote the Messiah himself more than Leviticus or the Book of Daniel.

Barrister

Quote from: Drakken on August 21, 2012, 09:05:35 AM

Not everybody, Americans do.

Bible-Thumper Americans have some weird fetish for the Old Testament, because the God in it is an angry, PMS God. They can quote obscure Ancient references from the Old Testament more than from even the Evangiles themselves. You'd think that for Jesus-worshippers, they'd actually quote the Messiah himself more than Leviticus or the Book of Daniel.

John 3:16
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.