Scandal as Finnish national hero Mannerheim played by black actor

Started by Solmyr, August 16, 2012, 05:32:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Solmyr on August 16, 2012, 08:59:43 AM
Quote from: Viking on August 16, 2012, 08:40:28 AM
maybe the plan is to save money on Timoshenko's massive assaults on the mannerheim line by pirating scenes from black hawk down?

And the Finnish partisans will be portrayed by the rap scene from Men in Tights.

I can just see the promos

Iksi Kakse Pärkele Mannerheim
- starring Dave Chapelle

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on August 16, 2012, 05:45:57 AM
Meh, not a big deal. Actors and actresses portray people of other nationalities all the time.

Sure but they are at least resemble the historical character in question.  The Swiss dude who played Hitler in Downfall could easily pass for an Austrian German Dictator.  If they had had him played by a Japanese Actor it probably would have lacked a certain believability.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Solmyr

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Solmyr on August 16, 2012, 05:55:48 AM
Just to give this perspective, this would be something like George Washington and all the founding fathers played by Africans. :P

That'd be fine as long as the slaves were played by whities.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Viking

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on August 16, 2012, 11:04:37 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on August 16, 2012, 05:55:48 AM
Just to give this perspective, this would be something like George Washington and all the founding fathers played by Africans. :P

That'd be fine as long as the slaves were played by whities.

That's already in production, Tarantino and Spike Lee are producing a movie provisionally titled "3/5"

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Jacob

Artsy types does something artsy. I don't see the problem at all.

If you don't think you'll like the film, don't watch it.

Solmyr

The problem is that they are being artsy with taxpayer money and were using false advertising and trying to cover things up.

Jacob

Quote from: Solmyr on August 16, 2012, 11:13:54 AM
The problem is that they are being artsy with taxpayer money and were using false advertising and trying to cover things up.

I still don't see the problem. Taxpayer money is being spent on all kinds of things that not everyone appreciates. Sure, this is probably pretty marginal, but so is the amount of money. Very likely, there are people out there who wouldn't mind their share of tax money that goes to, say, the national hockey and soccer teams to be used on artsy stuff like this instead.

As for false advertising and trying to cover things up... that sounds a bit weird. I mean they're filming in Kenya, how can they cover that up? Sounds to me that those charges are manufactured outrage by people who like to get upset about things like that.

dps

I'd think the people with the most legit gripe about this would be members of the Finnish actor's union who just missed out on a bunch of roles.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Solmyr

Quote from: Jacob on August 16, 2012, 11:20:29 AM
As for false advertising and trying to cover things up... that sounds a bit weird. I mean they're filming in Kenya, how can they cover that up? Sounds to me that those charges are manufactured outrage by people who like to get upset about things like that.

Well, Yle advertised the film as a historical biopic of Mannerheim. They made absolutely no mention that it would be filmed in Kenya with Kenyan actors. In fact, the whole story came out two days ago when a tabloid newspaper found it out.

And yes, the actor union members are complaining about this too.

Btw, the previous film about Mannerheim was an animation where Mannerheim was portrayed as gay. It was made by a female director whose grandfather was a Red and was executed after the civil war, so it's commonly believed that she made it as a sort of "revenge" to Mannerheim. After that film, many people got extra sensitive on the matter, which is part of the reason for the current uproar.

garbon

I'd be sensitive too if a hero of mine was portrayed as gay. :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Quote from: garbon on August 16, 2012, 11:28:03 AM

Would you be sensitive if a hero of yours was portrayed as gay for the purpose of slandering him?

HVC

well if he wasn't gay and it was a propaganda thing, maybe :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: Viking on August 16, 2012, 11:31:47 AM

Would you be sensitive if a hero of yours was portrayed as gay for the purpose of slandering him?

No, because I don't think that being gay is a bad thing.