Main Menu

Sleeping Dogs

Started by Scipio, August 14, 2012, 06:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

But I need new sneakers lah. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

It seems like you can't really get in an accident. :hmm:  Earlier I hit a bus head on at top speed on my bike and it looked like I kinda flew under the bus and wasn't even thrown from the bike. :huh:

I also accidentally jumped from my bike onto a truck and then kicked the driver out the window.  That was fun. :showoff:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

FunkMonk

This game hits a really nice balance between GTA3 and Saint's Row. I hope they make a sequel.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on September 20, 2012, 09:15:43 PM
It seems like you can't really get in an accident. :hmm:  Earlier I hit a bus head on at top speed on my bike and it looked like I kinda flew under the bus and wasn't even thrown from the bike. :huh:

Is it true though as I definitely got hurt when thrown of my bike at high speeds.

As the the bit I cropped - that becomes a standard tactic / something you have to do to pass several missions. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Amazon.com has the download on sale for $29.99
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DontSayBanana

Just finally picked this up.  Loving the first time you talk your way past a guard. :lol:
Experience bij!

Barrister

So Jacob posted on FB that Sleeping Dogs is being made into a movie:

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/821205-donnie-sleeping-dogs-movie

Jacob, I assume the answer is "no", but do you get anything out of the movie version?  Do you get a writing credit for the screenplay?  Are you tempted to reach out to the producers to ask for one?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

I doubt I will get anything out of it in any shape or form. I may get a credit in the movie if that's how Hollywood works with films from game adaptations... but it's completely outside my control and my sphere of connections at this point.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Quote from: Jacob on March 04, 2017, 03:14:31 AM
I doubt I will get anything out of it in any shape or form. I may get a credit in the movie if that's how Hollywood works with films from game adaptations... but it's completely outside my control and my sphere of connections at this point.

Bloody world
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Most default entertainment contracts make you agree to give up transformation rights unless you are strong enough to bargain for them. The videogame industry is probably a Randian paradise on that regard.

Europe has some default provisions that grant a small amount of residuals even if not directly written in the contract. If Jacob gets credit recognition he might be able to claim those from the EU portion of revenues, I know some friends in the US that are getting checks that way. Actually he might be eligible for WGA residuals depending on the credit he gets, but I'm not that knowledgeable on that.

Barrister

Are there any sort of steps Jacob should follow up on to try and get writing credit recognition?

celedhring

Read what his contract says regarding transformation rights and check with his lawyer.

Barrister

I don't suppose it's as simple as just reaching out to the producer and asking?

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on March 07, 2017, 01:44:27 PM
I don't suppose it's as simple as just reaching out to the producer and asking?

The producer will refer him to the contract, most likely.

If the movie gets done, there's an arbitrage process within the WGA to adjudicate film credits, and it has pretty established rules. But it's very protective of film screenwriters vs other actors. A story credit though might be realistic and good enough for residuals, but it depends on what's on Jacob's contract and how exactly the movie turns out being (i.e. if the story and characters are totally different despite using the title). He might be able to get credit even if not written in his contract (I'm not an expert on American IP law, I'm more familiar with the Euro one), but it would probably involve much more sweat and lawyeering on his part.