News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Guild Wars 2 Roll Call

Started by Martinus, August 13, 2012, 08:53:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Im working on the map completion achievement and about 66% through, and this game still continues to amaze me. Some vistas are beautiful and some event chains really get cool in the higher level areas.

Plus the character design is so nice graphically - they managed to set a new standard, like WoW back in the day (which, by the way, looks so outdated now), which gives the impression of realism without falling into the usual traps of hyper-realistic graphics.

Eddie Teach

Have there been any paid expansions yet or is this game still in "vanilla"?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 03, 2013, 01:12:40 AM
Have there been any paid expansions yet or is this game still in "vanilla"?

No paid expansions yet. They have just started their first unpaid "expansion" although it is not comparable to anything I have seen so far in MMORPGs (at least the ones I played) and is more similar to what would happen on private servers with game masters - i.e. there is a first stage of a multi-month massive "event" now unfolding which is supposed to result in some big changes to the continent in the end.

Martinus

They have added more stuff that can be bought at the store however, but true to their original promise, it is also either utility (things like server transfers and extra character slots) or cosmetic (now you can finally completely change the looks of your existing character).

Guesting has also been added in the last patch, however it is only available within the same region (so if you play on a US server you can't guest on European servers and vice versa).

katmai

Still have game installed, still doesn't excite me enough to start it up
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

crazy canuck

Quote from: katmai on February 03, 2013, 12:38:11 PM
Still have game installed, still doesn't excite me enough to start it up

If you have 15 minutes or so to burn its a great way to do it.  Unlike some other MMOs where it takes 15 minutes just to get somewhere or with someone to do something fun.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 04, 2013, 01:34:46 PM
If you have 15 minutes or so to burn its a great way to do it.  Unlike some other MMOs where it takes 15 minutes just to get somewhere or with someone to do something fun.

15 minutes, heh. In Everquest you could spend an evening going from one continent to another.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

So, started a thief alt (my first female avatar in GW2). Is it me or is pistol offhand ideal for "tanking" veteran mobs?

The last ability (AoE blind "gas") can be spammed to prevent the enemy from landing any damage on me. Sure it takes a while to wear it down, but you are near-invicible.

sbr

I haven't played thief much (I have a level 6) but my level 80 guardian throws blindness around like a boss.

I am back to playing the hell out of this game recently.  The silly little guild I am in finally got interesting.  Been doing a lot of dungeon running.  A guildie and I have been having some fun in WvW the last 2 days too.

frunk

I've been getting into WvW lately as well, and it is fun.  My big problem is the way World Completion is structured.

I don't mind having to do WvW to get World Completion.  I do dislike the necessity of repeating each Borderland three times just because they are a different "color".  If they were differentiated in any meaningful way it would at least be interesting, but right now you are better off waiting for your world to go up or down in the rankings.  At the moment I only need the Green Borderlands and we are Red, so I'm rooting for us to drop to the next lower tier.  That means it's best for me not to play WvW to get World Completion.  Very annoying.

sbr

Agreed.  I am 99% done with Green, I just need the furthest south skill point but that has been owned by Red all week.  The weekly reset happens about 30 minutes after I get home from work, so I think I am going to run wild for a while Friday afternoon and get as much done as I can then.

I have some random parts of Blue and Red done but not very much.  I also have small scattered parts of the Eternal Battlegrounds uncovered.  At least my buddy needs them too so we can go together.

frunk

Quote from: sbr on March 07, 2013, 09:29:24 AM
Agreed.  I am 99% done with Green, I just need the furthest south skill point but that has been owned by Red all week.  The weekly reset happens about 30 minutes after I get home from work, so I think I am going to run wild for a while Friday afternoon and get as much done as I can then.

I have some random parts of Blue and Red done but not very much.  I also have small scattered parts of the Eternal Battlegrounds uncovered.  At least my buddy needs them too so we can go together.

For things like Skill Points it is best to go at off hours like early in the morning or middle of a work day (if you can swing it).  For Keeps and Towers try during peak hours especially right after a reset.  I did most of the Eternal Battlegrounds in one go on a Friday night when we just about swept everything.

Berkut

I've started playing again as well.

My Ranger, however, appears to be perma-broken. Consensus seems to be that it is the worst class in the game.

Been playing my ele a lot more, and having a lot of fun since I've been trying to dedicate myself to really understanding how to play the class, rather than just grabbinbg a staff and face rolling the keyboard.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

frunk

Quote from: Martinus on March 07, 2013, 03:38:33 AM
So, started a thief alt (my first female avatar in GW2). Is it me or is pistol offhand ideal for "tanking" veteran mobs?

The last ability (AoE blind "gas") can be spammed to prevent the enemy from landing any damage on me. Sure it takes a while to wear it down, but you are near-invicible.

It's also great for melee Mobs.  Non-Orrian Risen are pretty much toast when you use it.  Be wary of Dredge though.

frunk

Quote from: Berkut on March 07, 2013, 10:24:19 AM
I've started playing again as well.

My Ranger, however, appears to be perma-broken. Consensus seems to be that it is the worst class in the game.

Been playing my ele a lot more, and having a lot of fun since I've been trying to dedicate myself to really understanding how to play the class, rather than just grabbinbg a staff and face rolling the keyboard.

The Ranger, Engineer and (from what I hear) Necromancer need a reworking or at the least decent sized tweaks.  I think the Ranger could be much improved if there were cool tricks they could do with the pet rather than just boost it with stat increases or boons.  There are a couple like being able to revive people with the pet, but it needs more than that.  Things like switching places with the pet, or gaining the special ability of the pet for the character would be great.

The Engineer just needs the interaction between their stats and their weapons/turrets cleaned up.  Right now they lose too much DPS if they switch away from an exotic weapon.  Also I don't get why turrets are squishier than my Mesmer's illusions.  I can easily generate 5-6 illusions in a few seconds (and do it again quickly), but the up to four Engi's turrets will pop even easier and have 10-40 second cooldowns.

Necro, can't really give an opinion as I haven't played them for an extended period.