News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Guild Wars 2 Roll Call

Started by Martinus, August 13, 2012, 08:53:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

btw, it turns out I used an invalid email address when I set up my account and so my game key is tied to an account name that wont work.

They assure me they will have the ability to allow people to change their account emails before launch.  Why they allow people to register with what they consider invalid account emails in the first place is beyond me.

frunk

They are transitioning a bunch of old Guild Wars accounts that had invalid emails as well.  They said these would be cleaned up before launch, so its probably remnants of that system that let you through.

Berkut

LOL.

Classes that look interesting (to me):

Ranger (of course)
Mesmer
Engineer
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Is there a particular server the US players are going to get on?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Martinus

Ok, so just to clarify some things about servers, following the recent post by Arena Net (full post here: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/a-world-of-choice-the-regions-of-guild-wars-2/):

1. You can choose any server as your home server. The games come in US and EU versions but this is only for login/support purposes. Afterwards, you can choose any server to play on (i.e. a European player can play on a US server and vice versa).

2. You can only have one home server at a given time. In order to switch a server to play on you need to do a server transfer. This will be free for some time after launch to allow players to move around without being locked in, but later on, when the server population settles, this will be done by paying an amount of "gems" (the game store currency that can be bought with both in-game gold and real world $).

3. You can actively play with people who have other home servers, as long as you have them on your friends list. This is done through the feature of "guesting", where a player can temporarily move to another server while in game and quest or do dungeons with the "local" player. This will be available for all servers, so no EU/US divide either. The only area where "guesting" is not possible is the World vs. World vs. World pvp (i.e. structured pvp between servers). But... the "guesting" feature will not be available at launch but will be implemented shortly after.

I will be starting on the EU server Piken Square because it has been selected as the unofficial European rpg server ( :nerd: ), so I encourage all EU players and those US players who don't mind having a server with less people during their playing hours to play there too (I'm looking at you, Jaron). :)

If for whatever reason you experience lag or do not like the server you can always move out and it will be free during the first few weeks.

And on top of that, once the guesting service is implemented, we will all be able to play together through ad hoc intra-server grouping.

frunk

The unofficial US RP server is Tarnished Coast.  I had a mild preference not to go on that server, but only if it ended up being extremely crowded.

crazy canuck

The more I learn about this game the more I want to play it.

Tough to choose a profession.  I have ruled out thief and necromancer and I think I am leaning toward an Engineer, Mesmer, or Ranger.

I was thinking about an elementalist but there was way too much QQ about the class and having lived through the Shaman for so long in WoW, I didnt want to go through that again.

Engineer is probably what I will try first.  Now I have to choose a race.

katmai

I'm sure it will be some freakishly tall race
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

crazy canuck

They have implemented the ability to change account names.  All is well.  Even for short people.

frunk

katmai

Quote from: frunk on August 17, 2012, 08:12:45 PM
Quote from: katmai on August 17, 2012, 07:08:41 PM
I'm sure it will be some freakishly tall race

That would be the Norn.

Character Heights

I know, i was looking at a Norn or Charr if picked up game :P

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 17, 2012, 07:03:55 PM
The more I learn about this game the more I want to play it.

Tough to choose a profession.  I have ruled out thief and necromancer and I think I am leaning toward an Engineer, Mesmer, or Ranger.

I was thinking about an elementalist but there was way too much QQ about the class and having lived through the Shaman for so long in WoW, I didnt want to go through that again.

Engineer is probably what I will try first.  Now I have to choose a race.

Elementalist seems the most versatile of the four, since they have four different attunements, one for each element, which give them pure dps (fire), control (air and earth) and support (water) abilities.

Martinus

Remember that if you pre-purchase (not pre-order), you get an early access next Saturday rather than Tuesday after it. Especially important for the Brits, as this gives you the entire long weekend to play. :P

katmai

if you people are still raving over it when i come back, will start up a Norn Ranger

crazy canuck

Quote from: katmai on August 18, 2012, 01:39:36 AM
if you people are still raving over it when i come back, will start up a Norn Ranger

Problem is you always wait to come back until after everyone is gone.... :P