News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Guild Wars 2 Roll Call

Started by Martinus, August 13, 2012, 08:53:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

I dunno.  I haven't tried all the professions.  I've had extensive time with Ranger, some time with Elementalist and Mesmer, a smattering with Thief and Necro.  Of those Mesmer and Necro were the toughest for me, Ranger and Thief easiest, and Elementalist took some warming up to but kicked ass once I did.

Of the ones I haven't played I think Engineer will also be tricky, but Warrior and Guardian seem pretty straightforward.

Unlike other MMOs there's no dedicated healer or dps class, so you don't have to worry about getting stuck with a profession that can't solo (or is incredibly boring solo).  Personally I'd recommend trying whichever profession most appeals, and if it doesn't work out switch to a different one.

crazy canuck

How where they able to break the tank, dps, healer mold in all the other MMOs?

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

So there are still going to be people that specialize in healing, tanking and dps?

Or can all classes do all things all the time?

frunk

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 14, 2012, 01:41:47 PM
How where they able to break the tank, dps, healer mold in all the other MMOs?

Part of it is making a player's self heal more powerful than the heal from other players.  There's some professions that can heal better than others (Guardian and Elementalist), but in general a player who plays dedicated healing is probably a net minus on your team since he isn't doing anything to the enemy.

Dedicated tanks are removed by not having aggro control skills and making it virtually impossible for any one player to stand face to face with a heavy assault for an extended length of time.  Anybody can "tank" for a limited time, either by dodging or using skills that give effective or actual invulnerability.  Those skills don't last long and have relatively lengthy cooldowns.

Dps is still dps, but there isn't a single profession that's markedly superior.  They each have their own flavors and methods though.

Berkut

I am not intrigued. Not at all!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Martinus

I think they said the usual holy trinity roles are replaced by dps, control and support. All classes can do all three, and the switch between each is done through different weapons being equipped, which can be done mid-fight.

For example, my character (a guardian) is a pure dps when wielding a two-handed hammer, but when he equips a weapon and a shield or a staff, he has skills to grant protection or healing to other players.

szmik

Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

crazy canuck

Thanks for the explanations.

I just got a lot more interested.

frunk

For those that have pre-purchased there's another stress test from 3-7 pm EST tomorrow (Aug 15).

Berkut

It would appear that I am in.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on August 15, 2012, 05:30:12 PM
It would appear that I am in.

Excellent.  An MMO is never complete until one is ignored by Berkut in chat!

Jacob

I'm definitely intrigued, but won't be playing until mid September at the earliest.

katmai

Knowing the track record of you people by time I could play you'll all be bored anyways :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

crazy canuck

Quote from: katmai on August 15, 2012, 08:33:51 PM
Knowing the track record of you people by time I could play you'll all be bored anyways :P

Also a necessary ingredient in any MMO I play.  Start out with Kamtai gone then play the game with Katmai for about two weeks.  Have great time.  Wait for Katmai to return from yet another gig.  Get bored waiting. Quit playing.