News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

So Johan has apparently said (on reddit :x) that next expansion for EU4 will be biggest they've had out of EU4/CK2 cycle. :hmm:

On a different note, his stance on MP seems to be:
QuoteBecause balance made for multiplayer makes for better singleplayer games.
Trust the guy making these games since 1997 on it, and who knows which focus sells more and give better metacritic.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Metacritic.  The bane of good gaming design. 

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on July 17, 2014, 12:36:31 PM
So Johan has apparently said (on reddit :x) that next expansion for EU4 will be biggest they've had out of EU4/CK2 cycle. :hmm:

It is going to make CK2 go from 867 to 1954?  Because that is what I want.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on July 17, 2014, 01:46:59 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 17, 2014, 12:36:31 PM

It is going to make CK2 go from 867 to 1954?  Because that is what I want.

Pfft. I like how with new truce mechanism, they've nailed final coffin on any/all attempts to actually represent Napoleonic wars. Not, of course, that any effort was spared to actually cover that time period as it was (which was curious to me why they included in EU4).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

To be fair, the Napoleonic Wars with France steamrolling everybody break out about 1444, so at least you can compensate for the long truces. :P

garbon

I hadn't really paid attention to it but apparently this new truce bit really hampers anyone who wants to use claims granted to Manchu to take out Ming. Well thought through game design? :hmm:

Queequeg

So is the new expansion worth it?  The Dutch Republic was my favorite EUIV nation, and I'm thinking about getting it. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on July 17, 2014, 09:27:27 PM
So is the new expansion worth it?  The Dutch Republic was my favorite EUIV nation, and I'm thinking about getting it. 

I mean it is 5 dollars.

dps

Quote from: garbon on July 17, 2014, 12:15:12 AM

QuoteMaking an AI that can handle naval attrition is absolutely something I could do and would like to do. It would however take quite a bit of time to get right, and ultimately wouldn't have very much impact on the player's gameplay experience, so it's not a priority issue right now.

This ticks me off, because IMO the current situation does negatively impact the gameplay experience, on 2 levels.  First off,  on the specific topic of naval attrition, the effectively unlmited naval range that AI fleets have screws up exploration and colonization pretty significantly.  Second, looking at naval issues in general, it's pretty clear that even beyond not understanding attrition, the AI doesn't really know how to handle navies, and that leads to a whole host of problems.  For example, the AI apparantly never disbands any ships.  If a country with a large navy happens to lose a few coastal provinces, it's naval force limit can easily drop below its current number of ships.  If it's far enough below, the increased maintenance cost can drive the country into bankruptcy.  The bankruptcy will cause the maintenance cost to go up even more, leading to a further collapse, and the country enters a cycle of bankruptcy.

Keep in mind that I haven't bought anything from Paradox since the In Nomine expansion for EUIII, so it's possible that aside from attrition, some of the other naval issues have been fixed since, but comments I've seen, I doubt it.

garbon

The AI mostly doesn't use its unlimited range. Wiz posted about that to. Instead it is sort of handicapped to not extend much/often out of its supply range. That's largely why he says it wouldn't make a big difference for what played see.

Also, I am pretty sure they brought Wiz aboard because of some stuff he got the AI to do when just a modder. :)

dps

Quote from: garbon on July 19, 2014, 09:46:13 AM
The AI mostly doesn't use its unlimited range. Wiz posted about that to. Instead it is sort of handicapped to not extend much/often out of its supply range. That's largely why he says it wouldn't make a big difference for what played see.

I take it this is something new in EUIV, though?  Because in EUIII, the AI most certainly sends its fleets everywhere (though I have to admit I'm not sure about the "often" part.  When you see Chinese fleets in European waters in 1550 and European fleets off China in 1500, it doesn't have to be something the AI does often to be noteworthy.)

Viking

I dislike the bit where 200 ming galleys enter the med.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Sorry, love, but I never played EU3 more than a handful of hours.

Zanza

Fleets seem to behave reasonably in EU4, so this is hardly my chief concern regarding the AI.

DGuller

Quote from: dps on July 19, 2014, 10:49:09 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 19, 2014, 09:46:13 AM

I take it this is something new in EUIV, though?  Because in EUIII, the AI most certainly sends its fleets everywhere (though I have to admit I'm not sure about the "often" part.  When you see Chinese fleets in European waters in 1550 and European fleets off China in 1500, it doesn't have to be something the AI does often to be noteworthy.)
A lot of things hanged in EU4, you should probably give it a try.