News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Also, though these are different and I don't know the game because it's so high-spec it would cause my computer to explode, the 18th century was the age of canals and great expansive projects. They were the railroads of their day, so it's nice to have them in a game I may one day be able to play.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that the canal projects of the time, like the Canal du Midi in France (or the Red Sea-Nile canal of the Pharaohs) were navigable only by small boats that are not represented in EU4.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ancient Demon

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 11, 2014, 06:16:30 PM
Also, though these are different and I don't know the game because it's so high-spec it would cause my computer to explode, the 18th century was the age of canals and great expansive projects. They were the railroads of their day, so it's nice to have them in a game I may one day be able to play.

That kind of canal is already in the game as a level 3 trade building.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Josquius

It would be nice to include the option to attempt the Panama Canal and for it to be handled realistically (ie do nothing but fuck up your economy)
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Finally read the most recent dev diary. I fear feature creep when I hear they are adding new point systems.

QuoteFor Wealth of Nations Reformed nations can direct the industriousness of their people via a new concept called Fervor. The player will get a base value of 2 Fervor points per month if the nation is at peace and 1 per month if it is at war. Like most things in EU, this rate is also infuenced by things like prestige and stability. If its not used it's stored. So how do you use it? Reformed nations have 3 place to focus their Fervor: Trade (Global Trade Power and Trade Steering bonus), War (Morale of Armies and Morale of Navies) and Stability (National Revolt Risk and Diplomatic Reputation). The player can activate one or more of these but each will cost 5 Fervor each month, which means that your nations needs to be fairly stable and at peace the be able to run one permanently - but you can also save up so run several at once for a power boost in times of crisis or expansion. We have also changed one of the Reformed religions regular modifiers from +10% trade efficiency to +2 tolerance for heretics, instead.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Lettow77

why would calvinism be associated with tolerance for heretics, anyway?
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Razgovory

Cause that's the way it's taught in protestant countries.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 22, 2014, 06:10:24 PM
The Dutch?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on April 22, 2014, 06:28:04 PM
The Dutch?

Grudging tolerance of protestants by other types of slightly different Protestants interspersed with wars against them.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

dps

Viking

Because one of the three countries where it gained power was religiously tolerant before during and after calvinism. Switzerland and Scotland were not paragons of tolerance.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Syt

So far there's little in this add on that would entice me to buy it. The religious addition and the canals are turning me off of it. It's like they're running out of ideas already.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Lettow77

If its a question of Dutch tolerance for heretics, dutch national ideas already has that covered though..
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Razgovory

Josephus

Quote from: Syt on April 24, 2014, 02:54:08 AM
So far there's little in this add on that would entice me to buy it. The religious addition and the canals are turning me off of it. It's like they're running out of ideas already.

yeah....I think i'm done with this game. It peaked with EU3. Time for something new
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011