News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Anatron

Quote from: garbon on December 12, 2013, 10:11:17 PM
Not a particularly impressive set though.

http://www.eu4wiki.com/Purple_Phoenix_events

What I missed from this dlc is the reconquest of Egypt event.

Josephus

Are colonies worth the effort? I'm playing my first game, as Castille, and have colonized all of South and Central America (haven't bothered with Incas, Aztecs etc.). Looking at my financial statments, and I'm not entirely sure the whole thing is a worthwhile venture. How best to maximize profits? yeah, I got a merchant in Caribbean and Brazil. What buildings should I bother with. I have a -80 per cent tariff base modifier.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Viking

Quote from: Josephus on December 17, 2013, 05:58:05 PM
Are colonies worth the effort? I'm playing my first game, as Castille, and have colonized all of South and Central America (haven't bothered with Incas, Aztecs etc.). Looking at my financial statments, and I'm not entirely sure the whole thing is a worthwhile venture. How best to maximize profits? yeah, I got a merchant in Caribbean and Brazil. What buildings should I bother with. I have a -80 per cent tariff base modifier.

Check how much your total tarriff income is and how much your trade income is from the overseas nodes.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josephus

In 1665, my total tariff income is 10.58/mo. out of 125 total income

About 70 per cent of my tariff income is from overseas nodes (panama, caribbean, brazil). The other 30 per cent comes from my home (seville)

Here's the thing about my 10.58/mo tariff income. I have a level two advisor giving me an additonal 10 percent. He costs me 13.7 a month. His upkeep is more than my tariff income. :huh:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Viking

Quote from: Josephus on December 17, 2013, 06:44:23 PM
In 1665, my total tariff income is 10.58/mo. out of 125 total income

About 70 per cent of my tariff income is from overseas nodes (panama, caribbean, brazil). The other 30 per cent comes from my home (seville)

Here's the thing about my 10.58/mo tariff income. I have a level two advisor giving me an additonal 10 percent. He costs me 13.7 a month. His upkeep is more than my tariff income. :huh:

taxes /= tariff /= trade

ALL your tariff income comes from your overseas nodes. You ONLY get tariff income from distant overseas nodes.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josephus

My bad.  I meant most of my trade income comes from overseas nodes.

My point is that, though. Is tariff income enough of an incentive to colonize? Looking at the math, to me, it doesn't make any sense.
Civis Romanus Sum

Viking

What country were you playing, where were your colonies (post map) and what are the details of your income (post ledger). In my mp spain game my income is split virtually 4 ways equally  between tax, tarrifs, trade and gold for a total around 240 in the same period.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on December 17, 2013, 11:00:10 PM
My bad.  I meant most of my trade income comes from overseas nodes.

My point is that, though. Is tariff income enough of an incentive to colonize? Looking at the math, to me, it doesn't make any sense.

You said you have colonized all of South and Central America and you have merchants ( I assume collecting) in the Caribbean and Brazil.  The key to Spanish success is colonizing the Caribbean.  The islands are rich and provide a good income.  The territories in the Panamanian node are relatively poor.  If you can dominate the territories and trade in the Caribean then you can direct the trade from the Mexican and Panamanian nodes to the Caribbean and profit.

As Castille I dont really bother with Brazil.  Its not very profitable.

Viking

Trade wise Brazil is part of the african coast

crazy canuck

Quote from: Viking on December 18, 2013, 12:30:51 PM
Trade wise Brazil is part of the african coast

You can get around that by beating Portugal there, concentrating all your colonization of Brazil and then collecting from that node without competition.  But given the opportunity costs, that wouldnt make a lot of sense - ie trading off domination of the Caribbean for Brazil

Josephus

I'll post some screenshots. Thanks for help. though I was also interested in very general, as opposed to specific info. Like..based on the fact that overseas provinces only collect tariffs, which is a portion of production, are they really worth the hassle?
I'm playing as Castille. My first EU4 game

Here's a shot showing the general location of my colonies.

Somehwat blurry shot of ledger

Civis Romanus Sum

Viking

1. All your tarrifs and 3/4 of your gold is from colonies.
2. At least 46 (probably more) of your trade income is from your colonies.

In all likelyhood your income would have been 25 from tax, 10 production, 3.5 gold and 15 trade  for approx 55 income total, had you not colonized,  instead you have 125. You tell me, was it worth it? When you carpet america with plantations it will be even more worth it.

DGuller

What's the opportunity cost of getting all that colony income, though?  I still haven't figured out for myself whether it's worth it.  In any case, I don't colonize because it's too damn boring.

Queequeg

Depends on where you are colonizing, I love huge naval conflicts with Spain and Portugal in the Indies.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."