News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_Austria

QuoteAustria is unique among Western European countries insofar as it has granted Muslims the status of a recognized religious community. This dates back to the times following the Austro-Hungarian occupation of Bosnia and Herzegovina in 1878. Austria has regulated the religious freedoms of the Muslim community with the so-called "Anerkennungsgesetz" ("Act of Recognition"). This law was reactivated in 1979 when the Community of Muslim believers in Austria (Islamische Glaubensgemeinschaft in Österreich) was founded.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Drakken on October 04, 2013, 06:06:25 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on October 04, 2013, 01:34:01 AM
I don't think they played a positive role in Balkan or Eastern European history and what they did they did perfidiously. What's so hard to understand about that?

It's not hard to understand, you are simply wrong.

Austrian Habsburgs were one of the most open-minded and pragmatic dynasties in European history when it concerned nationality, religion and their national rights. Most of their ruling scions, including Ferdinand of Styria albeit to a much lesser degree, understood that too much intransigence would lead to losing it all. They also had the tangent benefit of keeping Bohemia, Hungary, and Austria from killing each other in endless wars, as they would probably have been if these had had different dynasties on their thrones.

It really went downhill with the 1848 Revolution, but even then Franz-Joseph was later very keen to compromise with the natonalities inside his Empire because he understood that giving a few inches was better than losing a mile.

I would tend to agree more or less, but I think one strategy of theirs which backfired with a vengeance was using "divide and rule" in regards to the various ethnicities in their Empire. What this entailed in practice of course was usually enticing non-Hungarian folks against the Hungarians whenever the Hungarian nobility felt like strong-arming some more privileges.
I think it must had had a big influence on all the nationalistic bad feelings developing.

Queequeg

I'm pretty sure a lot of nastiness in the region as late as WW2 was impacted by the group-bukkake of Hungary in 1848.

I suppose my original position was an oversimplification, but do not think that multiethnic authoritarian Empires like the Ottomans or Austrians would have survived the last century, and the constant game of Empire resulted in some truly nasty, stupid decisions, like Austria's constant attempts to squash Serbia.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Anatron

Quote from: Drakken on October 04, 2013, 06:06:25 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on October 04, 2013, 01:34:01 AM
I don't think they played a positive role in Balkan or Eastern European history and what they did they did perfidiously. What's so hard to understand about that?

It's not hard to understand, you are simply wrong.

Austrian Habsburgs were one of the most open-minded and pragmatic dynasties in European history when it concerned nationality, religion and their national rights. Most of their ruling scions, including Ferdinand of Styria albeit to a much lesser degree, understood that too much intransigence would lead to losing it all. They also had the tangent benefit of keeping Bohemia, Hungary, and Austria from killing each other in endless wars, as they would probably have been if these had had different dynasties on their thrones.

It really went downhill with the 1848 Revolution, but even then Franz-Joseph was later very keen to compromise with the natonalities inside his Empire because he understood that giving a few inches was better than losing a mile.

It was also Franz-Joseph who is responsible to leading the Habsburg empire to colllapse.He was a man of the old times, and was not open minded for the new ideas.He refused to improve the austrian military for example.So during the I world war his enemies used new weapons and tactics in the battlefield austria still fought with old weapons and tactics.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Queequeg on October 03, 2013, 10:16:08 PM

Starting World War I and being the worst power involved in The Thirty Year's War make you about as close to being outright villainy as you can get before Totalitarianism.

What!?  :huh:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 05, 2013, 05:17:24 AM

Starting World War I and being the worst power involved in The Thirty Year's War make you about as close to being outright villainy as you can get before Totalitarianism.

He probably doesn't think that Austrians are a "beautiful race".
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

The Austrians use the assassination as a pretext for an attempt to crush Serbia (granted, it was a MAJOR provocation, and I'm not sure anyone else would have shown much more restraint), so it's not entirely unreasonable to say that they started the war.

That it developed into a general war, rather than a localized conflict, though, is mostly the fault of the Russians.

Tamas

Quote from: dps on October 05, 2013, 05:57:00 AM

The Austrians use the assassination as a pretext for an attempt to crush Serbia (granted, it was a MAJOR provocation, and I'm not sure anyone else would have shown much more restraint), so it's not entirely unreasonable to say that they started the war.

That it developed into a general war, rather than a localized conflict, though, is mostly the fault of the Russians.

It was a war almost everyone was itching for. It would have happened one way or the other.

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on October 05, 2013, 05:57:00 AM

It may not be entirely unreasonable, but it's still wrong.  I think Serbia is to blame for the start of the war.  The assassination of the Archduke  by a group of terrorists connected to the highest levels of government  is not merely a provocation but an act of war.  Similar to a group of terrorists with close links to the government of Afghanistan killing 2,000 Americans on 9/11.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Agelastus

Quote from: Anatron on October 05, 2013, 04:38:09 AM
It was also Franz-Joseph who is responsible to leading the Habsburg empire to colllapse.He was a man of the old times, and was not open minded for the new ideas.He refused to improve the austrian military for example.So during the I world war his enemies used new weapons and tactics in the battlefield austria still fought with old weapons and tactics.

Given, as an example, that the Austrians had the best heavy artillery (the type for crushing fortresses) of all the Major Powers that's news to me.

In fact, what stands out clearly from 1914 is exactly how close Austria's warplan on the Russian Front came to succeeding (despite Conrad's repeated fumblings and total misuse of his "swing group".) Much closer than France's or Russia's - or even, arguably, Germany's. That's not a sign of a backwards military.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Viking

Anatron, seriously, EXPLORATION as the first idea for Hungary? I'm gonna need some sort of explanation for that one.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Anatron

Quote from: Viking on October 05, 2013, 09:15:24 AM
Anatron, seriously, EXPLORATION as the first idea for Hungary? I'm gonna need some sort of explanation for that one.

Hungary is covered with Human players.
The Ottomans helped Albania to grow and they protecting it.I have a Poland player in the north what I considered as my ally.
Austria has claim o Bohemia and Italy so I can not expand there.
I am blockaded all around.The colonization looks the only way to expand as a weak country in the Center of Europe.

Viking

Seriously that albania player is a combination of jaron and fireblade. But, yes, you are surrounded by players right now. You're gonna have to knock one of them off.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Anatron

Quote from: Viking on October 05, 2013, 09:37:05 AM
Seriously that albania player is a combination of jaron and fireblade. But, yes, you are surrounded by players right now. You're gonna have to knock one of them off.

I tried to avoid this,but Hideous fucked my plans and he did this becouse in the Thursday game as Burgundy I dont want to support his war against France.
That guy is an asshole.

Viking

Quote from: Anatron on October 05, 2013, 09:43:41 AM
Quote from: Viking on October 05, 2013, 09:37:05 AM

I tried to avoid this,but Hideous fucked my plans and he did this becouse in the Thursday game as Burgundy I dont want to support his war against France.
That guy is an asshole.

Slargos thinks he's an asshole too...

but... he is playing portugal and you did send a hungarian army into west africa... soo....TBH, I can understand him not being happy about this