Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Viking

Quote from: Tamas on September 24, 2013, 08:19:34 AM
I do wonder if the AI Hunter stacks will be aware of this or not.

Peter Ebbsen told me that I was wrong about that. I'll have to contrive a situation that puts this to the test.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Tamas

Quote from: Viking on September 24, 2013, 08:33:44 AM
Quote from: Tamas on September 24, 2013, 08:19:34 AM
I do wonder if the AI Hunter stacks will be aware of this or not.

Peter Ebbsen told me that I was wrong about that. I'll have to contrive a situation that puts this to the test.

so what IS the fix then? :P

Tamas

Apparently it takes 30 minutes to get OOS in an MP game with the new patch

And Viking, I am utterly confused over this shattered retreat thing. Enlighten me.

Viking

Quote from: Tamas on September 24, 2013, 09:13:20 AM
Apparently it takes 30 minutes to get OOS in an MP game with the new patch

And Viking, I am utterly confused over this shattered retreat thing. Enlighten me.

I'm confused...still

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

test it .. infinite retreat no matter what terrain, you just need access and a place to retreat to.

dammit... after that battle where he scots wiped henry the useless's army in fife I was sure it was due to not being able to withdraw... apparently they just killed my larger stack in one go.

Tamas

Quote from: Viking on September 24, 2013, 09:42:36 AM
test it .. infinite retreat no matter what terrain, you just need access and a place to retreat to.

and that is good and/or realistic because.....

Viking

Quote from: Tamas on September 24, 2013, 09:47:55 AM
Quote from: Viking on September 24, 2013, 09:42:36 AM

and that is good and/or realistic because.....

you tell me? Large countries need a buff? No more killing an army to win a war thing? If you have enough cash on hand and enough dip stored up (or the optimism idea) you can just hire a bunch of mercs and keep sending them in again and again.

Tamas

Liep

Yeah, deep in my territory I defeated an Austrian army, and then they retreated all the way back to Vienna. A little while after I lost a battle in an allied's territory and retreated one province.

Yeah, I don't think I get it.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Tamas

Quote from: Liep on September 24, 2013, 09:54:37 AM
Yeah, deep in my territory I defeated an Austrian army, and then they retreated all the way back to Vienna. A little while after I lost a battle in an allied's territory and retreated one province.

I wonder if this is because of some pet peeve Johan picked up in an MP game.  :D Like the last 5 beta patches of EU2 were.  :lol:

Anatron

Quote from: Tamas on September 24, 2013, 10:01:36 AM
Quote from: Liep on September 24, 2013, 09:54:37 AM

I wonder if this is because of some pet peeve Johan picked up in an MP game.  :D Like the last 5 beta patches of EU2 were.  :lol:

This retreating armies rule is the most stupid thing I have ever seen in a strategy game.

In one of my game a retreating army went through in my armies and my tropps not attacked them.They just went through me.

Caliga

I actually like it, in theory.  I'm assuming the idea is to prevent armies chasing each other and fighting battle after battle until the one army is ground to dust, right?

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on September 24, 2013, 10:25:20 AM
I actually like it, in theory.  I'm assuming the idea is to prevent armies chasing each other and fighting battle after battle until the one army is ground to dust, right?

Yeah. But it does end up with strange results like when an army retreats 10 provinces away or the example, Anatron gave, where an army retreats through a hostile army.

Actually all it has really made me want to do is have the option to select hunter-killer for my own armies. Then I'd just let it be free to chase after that retreating army.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

What I always hated about warfare in the EU series (as wel las CK) is how battles always last months, and then there was a retreat, and then another (typically shorter) battle, then a retreat, etc.  That's not how war worked back then.  IIRC a lot of wars were decided on a single critical battle.  That said, the fact that wars don't always have to be total now helps things quite a bit also.  Like for example in my last playthrough as Castile I declared war on Aragon because their king insulted me, and 'won' with just a concession of defeat after no provinces had been occupied by either side.  Of course, I wore my manpower down to zero though :blush: