And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solmyr

Quote from: Anatron on September 20, 2013, 09:48:31 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on September 20, 2013, 09:20:37 AM
They are set as historical friends, I think?

Poland and Hungary are also historical friends. In the game they are enemies.

There are reasons for that.

Tamas

Quote from: Solmyr on September 20, 2013, 10:29:38 AM

Yeah, it is probably a game balance thing.

And there was nothing special in the Polish-Hungarian relation of the period I think. :P

I mean hey, the town I visted a few times in Poland was named after a victory they supposedly had against the forces of Matthias Corvinus.

garbon

Also, I already posted in this very thread to Anatron - the quote from Wiz about how it is for balance.  He said that when they were friends, Ottos got eaten every time.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Anatron

Quote from: Tamas on September 20, 2013, 10:51:48 AM
Quote from: Solmyr on September 20, 2013, 10:29:38 AM

Yeah, it is probably a game balance thing.

And there was nothing special in the Polish-Hungarian relation of the period I think. :P

I mean hey, the town I visted a few times in Poland was named after a victory they supposedly had against the forces of Matthias Corvinus.

Well, in 1335 there was a meeting in Visegrad where King of Bohemia,King of Poland and King of Hungary created an economical alliance against Wien.

On the other hand is very annoying that Portugals ally with half of Europa and never gets attacked by anyone,because he is putting itself behind Spain.

Anatron

Quote from: Tamas on September 18, 2013, 09:17:22 AM
So, next week for the patch? I am happy they did the most obvious trade fix at least, but annoyed by them spending time on national ideagroup silliness at this stage.

Especially stuff like Serbia reveal a bad design decision: if your game is historically accurate, the Serbia of 1444 has about 0.5% chance of even surviving, let alone achieving anything of note, so you should not be having its own national ideagroup as any kind of priority. IMHO.

Just started a game as Albania.  :D

Queequeg

Just declare war on Portugal while you are allied in a war with Spain.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

Damn. I feel like it'll take up my lunch break just to read those. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Cool changes, the patch is worth waiting for it seems.

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Tamas

Anatron

I dont like this one:

"- When fighting a large coalition, you no longer get 100% warscore just for occupying coalition leader"

This makes impossible to defend yourself against an attack of a larger coalition what the AI is likely creating, if a player become a strong Empire.

Till this time it was possible to defeat even the largest coalitions if you captured the coalition leader' lands.

Now you can forget it.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: Anatron on September 23, 2013, 11:05:11 AM
I dont like this one:

"- When fighting a large coalition, you no longer get 100% warscore just for occupying coalition leader"

This makes impossible to defend yourself against an attack of a larger coalition what the AI is likely creating, if a player become a strong Empire.

Till this time it was possible to defeat even the largest coalitions if you captured the coalition leader' lands.

Now you can forget it.

Doesn't not being able to have 100% warscore from just AI leader just mean you won't be able to flip the attack and make crazy demands of the coalition?

Tamas

Quote from: Anatron on September 23, 2013, 11:05:11 AM
I dont like this one:

Now you can forget it.

Well the original intention behind coalitions was to prevent blobbing and too fast expansion by the player, and this way it will do that better.
Makes the whole thing much more dangerous, though, I agree.