News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: FunkMonk on August 15, 2013, 06:07:00 AM
In my Portugal game Burgundy survived and owns the eastern half of France.  :cool:

That happened in my first game.  In my current game as Portugal Austria inherited and the France proceeded to march all over them, and Spain, and England etc etc etc.  I hope the religious wars happen soon so France gets crippled a bit.

Of course none of that has really affected me - other than driving up WE now and then as I try to defend Spain.  I am well on my way to creating my trading empire with valuable trade goods being produced in Brazil with the assistance of the slave labour being imported from my colonies in Africa.   Next stop - domination of trade and colonies in the Indian Ocean.  The rest of Europe can fight over the rest of the New World, I have the bits I want.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Habbaku on August 14, 2013, 06:27:59 PM
It does seem to be a rather strong attempt at design for effect.  The goal is clearly to get players to avoid fighting total wars in the Renaissance period, but I'm not sure if it is too strong a swing in that direction versus gameplay. 

The problem with the EU series has always been the ability to raise ahistorically large armies pre-17th century.  In reality no country in Europe had a standing army of significant size before the 1600s and most had none at all.  When Charles VII invaded Italy with 25,000 men, it was considered at the time to be an unusually large force, and probably half of it consisted of mercenaries of some form or another.  A more strictly historical design would have all countries start with garrisons only, an ability to call out a small temporary muster, and otherwise relying on soldiers for hire, with only those countries with a Standing Army idea (France only at the begginning) having the ability to keep in being a small permanent army of say 5-10K men.   That would probably cause a revolt in the customer base.  The alternative of using stricter manpower limits to force greater reliance on mercenaries (or to cut down ambitious campaigns) is a decent second best solution.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 15, 2013, 10:27:34 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on August 14, 2013, 06:27:59 PM
It does seem to be a rather strong attempt at design for effect.  The goal is clearly to get players to avoid fighting total wars in the Renaissance period, but I'm not sure if it is too strong a swing in that direction versus gameplay. 

The problem with the EU series has always been the ability to raise ahistorically large armies pre-17th century.  In reality no country in Europe had a standing army of significant size before the 1600s and most had none at all.  When Charles VII invaded Italy with 25,000 men, it was considered at the time to be an unusually large force, and probably half of it consisted of mercenaries of some form or another.  A more strictly historical design would have all countries start with garrisons only, an ability to call out a small temporary muster, and otherwise relying on soldiers for hire, with only those countries with a Standing Army idea (France only at the begginning) having the ability to keep in being a small permanent army of say 5-10K men.   That would probably cause a revolt in the customer base.  The alternative of using stricter manpower limits to force greater reliance on mercenaries (or to cut down ambitious campaigns) is a decent second best solution.

I wonder if that would be moddable. Would bring the early warfare into line with what CK2 offers (more or less), evolving into classic EU-gameplay.

crazy canuck

When Charles VII invaded Italy with 25,000 men, it was considered at the time to be an unusually large force, and probably half of it consisted of mercenaries of some form or another.

Yeah, so large in fact that he didnt have to fight a battle of an signficance and was eventually forced to leave for reasons unrelated to the battlefield.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on August 15, 2013, 10:47:31 AM
Would bring the early warfare into line with what CK2 offers (more or less), evolving into classic EU-gameplay.

That would be ideal. 
In EU3 it was commonplace to see France muster huge armies to fight the HYW.  In reality in the latter stages of the HYW even the largest battles and sieges usually only involved a few thousand men per side.

EDIT: I meant Charles VIII above of course. Didn't notice the error until CC quoted it.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Viking

Quote from: DGuller on August 15, 2013, 03:07:24 AM
The inheritance of Burgundy clusterfuck is back.  I was quite surprised as I was playing my first game as Austria.  It's a little ridiculous, my territory doubled in size overnight for reasons that have nothing to do with me.  I understand the desire to have some historical events, but I think accidents of history like the Burgundian succession don't need to be in the game.

In my second game as england... (I now know how trade works!). Burgundy told Austria to get stufffed and found itself coalitioned by virtually everybody. Fortunately for burgundy Brabant started the war drawing in all the coalitionists, eventually burgundy was crushed but brabant only took breda. But before the peace she found herself dogpiled by OPMs and was losing badly. I had been drawn into the first war since I was guaranteeing Burgundy (if only to get periodical wars to keep my cores on the provinces I lost in france). I quickly sent my only really army 14k into germany and started knocking off the OPMs. Outside of the Rhine valley Germany was consolidating into 5-10 province size countries. Burgundy loved me to bits for this and we allied and married. Burgundy found herself then in a regency and I claimed the throne and attacked. She was out of manpower and men, I was merely out of manpower. I then got sucked into a franco-castillian war where my out of date army got nearly wiped out by the french hunter killer stack. I then PUed Burgundy. Then after the french wars in italy and spain had bled them dry I attacked, castille and brittany had joined my coalition and I took everything back. I also gave burgundy shitloads of overexpansion to keep them busy coring provinces for the time when I annex.

Bleed france properly and she goes down hard. The AI watches your war capacity like a hawk and strikes when you are weakest. Once things start going bad they keep going bad. The worst bit about losing a war isn't the territory or concessions, but rather the massacre that happens at home where everybody revolts and ultimately when you are a 0 manpower the only thing you can do is concede before they enforce. To be honest -100% income is better than losing the province, but those -25 and -50 prestige hits really do hurt.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 15, 2013, 12:00:37 PM

EDIT: I meant Charles VIII above of course. Didn't notice the error until CC quoted it.

Too late. I judge you moran.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

PRC

I'm playing as Portugal and i've selected the mission "Conquer Tangiers" which i've done, but the mission hasn't finalized awarding me the admin points and prestige.  The alliance with Castille mission ended successfully immediately after the alliance was formed.  Are the conquer missions something that doesn't fire immediately, perhaps needing a core or reduced revolt risk? 

crazy canuck

Quote from: PRC on August 15, 2013, 12:19:34 PM
I'm playing as Portugal and i've selected the mission "Conquer Tangiers" which i've done, but the mission hasn't finalized awarding me the admin points and prestige.  The alliance with Castille mission ended successfully immediately after the alliance was formed.  Are the conquer missions something that doesn't fire immediately, perhaps needing a core or reduced revolt risk?

You also need to core it to complete the mission.  Iirc it is in the mission description.  Which sucks because you are going to need over 450 admin to do it due to the Berber coring penality.

@ Viking - well done.

PRC

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 15, 2013, 12:33:08 PM
Quote from: PRC on August 15, 2013, 12:19:34 PM

You also need to core it to complete the mission.  Iirc it is in the mission description.  Which sucks because you are going to need over 450 admin to do it due to the Berber coring penality.

@ Viking - well done.

Arg, yah, it's expensive to core.  Casablanca on the other hand would only cost 110 admin power to core at this time.  Thanks for the info! 

Loving the game by the way.

alfred russel

A more strictly historical design would have all countries start with garrisons only, an ability to call out a small temporary muster, and otherwise relying on soldiers for hire, with only those countries with a Standing Army idea (France only at the begginning) having the ability to keep in being a small permanent army of say 5-10K men.   That would probably cause a revolt in the customer base.  The alternative of using stricter manpower limits to force greater reliance on mercenaries (or to cut down ambitious campaigns) is a decent second best solution.

I agree. That the armies are too big doesn't make a huge difference (that effects everyone), but the fact your army is equally deployable for long international campaigns and for domestic defense is a major problem.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Anatron

Just you know,american indians are completly playable.I just westernized Iroquoises in 1640 and made an alliance with Castille and Great britain.Now i can start to grow to a big indian empire. :D

Tamas

:D

My Ironman Portugal was going nice, but an über Algiers, with the same ahead-of-time military tech as mine, declared Jihad on me, caught my Seville patrol fleet with pants down, and now is eating up my North West African holdings.

I seriously love this game.

PRC

Quote from: Tamas on August 15, 2013, 05:20:09 PM
:D

My Ironman Portugal was going nice, but an über Algiers, with the same ahead-of-time military tech as mine, declared Jihad on me, caught my Seville patrol fleet with pants down, and now is eating up my North West African holdings.

I seriously love this game.

Ironman is a great mode, I play classic ironman in XCom exclusively, but for EUIV i've always been such a save & reloader that i'm afraid of getting to deep into it.  Also afraid of making mistakes because of mis-clicks.

Viking

BTW, as to how important it is to know what you are doing with trade. With two merchants and "owning" the chesapeak, bordeaux, london and antwerp nodes (y'know physically by owning all the land at their centers). I maxed out my income by redirecting from chesapeak to london and collecting at antwerp. Re-directing at antwerp reduced my trade income from 32 to 17. There was no point in re-directing from bordeaux since both downstream nodes were controlled by me. Redirecting in chesapeak really helped since norway was redirecting to the north sea from there (which was heavily re-directed to lubeck) and the indians still owned most of the land.

Before going gangbusters on the irish.. their merchants were actively redirecting trade from bordeaux and north sea to london for their own benefit.  I'm not actually sure that wiping them out was actually a good idea. Though, I suspect that when I have 200 light ships running around I'll be in a situation where I wouldn't even notice 8 irish merchants supported by 12 light ships.

BTW, I've adopted a strict naval policy.

A) Have as many heavy ships as the next two powers combined (historical)
B) Never build a stack of land units that I can't march onto my transport fleet (historical)

The AI collects their fleets so finding and blockading the enemy fleet works, plus butchering light ships when parked on a trade node is just priceless.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.