News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Btw, is there a way to increase font sizes in EU4 or CK2? I'm sitting about a meter away from my 24" screen, and it's rather tiny in 1920x1200.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Solmyr

So when are we starting a MP game? I say Habs should play England with Henry VI and deal with the War of the Roses. :P

Viking

Quote from: Solmyr on August 14, 2013, 05:18:59 AM
So when are we starting a MP game? I say Habs should play England with Henry VI and deal with the War of the Roses. :P

Habs would have him dead within 1 year and replaced by a 555 monarch.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

FunkMonk

Well I'm hooked. This game has turned me into a Portuguese slave trader. I must have more slaves.

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

garbon

Quote from: Viking on August 14, 2013, 07:19:14 AM

Not if the most recent VQ was any indication.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Quote from: dps on August 13, 2013, 09:39:15 PM
Quote from: Viking on August 13, 2013, 08:21:14 PM
BTW, france going defensive... +25 defensiveness for Vauban, +33 for max defensive, +25 for lucky and +25 for fortdefender guy. Yes, so every fort has +108 defensiveness. Thats basically half a March in every area.

Though, what is truly starting to piss me off france's artillery park which it uses as a hunter killer stack. I'm sorry but you should not be winning battles with 2/3 artillery in the 1540s.

I see there needs to be a teensy bit balancing... plus turning off lucky nations (or at least modding it)...

IIRC EUIII had the option to turn off lucky nations either right out of the box, or it was added in one of the very early patches.  Odd that it wouldn't be included in EUIV.

Expansion :D
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

I think they've learned their EU3 lesson. EU2 had a long lease on life because of a very active MP community. Which was why they designed EU3 as an MP focused game originally, and leveled the playing field for all nations. And maybe went a bit overboard a bit there.

I could never get into EU3, though the later expansions helped a lot. Still, the Paradox game that I've gotten most mileage out of was EU2, by now closely followed by CK2.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Rushing to annex the Aztec and other heathens is no longer viable.  Not only is there the overextension problem we are by now all painfully aware of, but there is the added problem that adding a core also has a range which is, I think, equal to your colonization range.

So now you are going to have to wait to conquer the new world until you have the range to core it.  And even then you are going to have to do it slowly because otherwise the overextension penalties will create rebellions in those new world provinces that you cannot put down before running out of manpower.

I love this game!

garbon

One thing I'm not sure about is how coring works as a landlocked nation*.  As Bohemia, I couldn't make a core on Wurzburg as it was 9999 distance away from my closest port. Er...so instead I released them as a vassal.

*Not sure meaning not so jazzed about.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

Quote from: garbon on August 14, 2013, 08:34:23 AM
Quote from: Viking on August 14, 2013, 07:19:14 AM

Not if the most recent VQ was any indication.

The horror...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

If everyone wants to assign me what seems to be the hardest nation, I am content to do so.  I do favor Sweden at the moment, though.  :P
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Fireblade

Quote from: Habbaku on August 14, 2013, 11:55:56 AM

If everyone wants to assign me what seems to be the hardest nation, I am content to do so.  I do favor Sweden at the moment, though.  :P

The Lion of the North!

crazy canuck

In 1444 it looks hopeless to obtain a diplo annexation of Aragon by Castille.  I guess you need to get the right ideas to pull it off?

Viking

Anybody got a good primer on trade?

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 14, 2013, 12:57:42 PM
In 1444 it looks hopeless to obtain a diplo annexation of Aragon by Castille.  I guess you need to get the right ideas to pull it off?

I'd suggest waiting for this to happen

# The Iberian Wedding
country_event = {
id = flavor_spa.3716
title = "flavor_spa.EVTNAME3716"
desc = "flavor_spa.EVTDESC3716"
picture = DIPLOMACY_eventPicture

major = yes

trigger = {
NOT = { has_country_flag = SPA_had_event_3716 }
is_year = 1450
NOT = { is_year = 1550 }
AND = {
tag = CAS
NOT = { exists = SPA }
}
is_subject = no
ARA = {
exists = yes
ai = yes
is_subject = no
is_neighbor_of = ROOT
}
NOT = { war_with = ARA }
OR = {
AND = {
is_female = yes
ARA = { is_female = no }
}
AND = {
is_female = no
ARA = { is_female = yes }
}
ARA = {
has_regency = yes
}
}
}

mean_time_to_happen = {
months = 120
modifier = {
factor = 0.1
ARA = { has_regency = no }
}
}

immediate = {
set_country_flag = SPA_had_event_3716
}

option = { # Let us bind their Dynasty to ours
name = "flavor_spa.EVTOPTA3716"
ai_chance = { factor = 90 }
create_union = ARA
add_opinion = {
who = ARA
modifier = spa_iberian_wedding
}
ARA = {
add_opinion = {
who = ROOT
modifier = spa_iberian_wedding
}
}
random_owned_province = {
limit = {
is_capital = no
}
spawn_rebels = {
type = noble_rebels
size = 3
}
}
every_known_country = {
limit = {
marriage_with = ARA
}
add_opinion = {
who = ROOT
modifier = spa_iberian_wedding_negative
}
}
}
option = { # No let us marry a local talent instead
name = "flavor_spa.EVTOPTB3716"
ai_chance = { factor = 10 }
add_stability = 1
ARA = {
add_opinion = {
who = ROOT
modifier = spa_declined_iberian_wedding
}
}
}
}