And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 12, 2012, 08:27:23 PM
Quote from: Berkut on August 12, 2012, 08:16:25 PM
I thought playing colonial powers was plenty of fun...

I thought it was too, especially the exploration and colony aspects. 

Pretty funny from a game company that wasn't allowed to use the swastika in HoI, but let you harvest slaves in EU2.  GET ON THE DAMN BOAT BOY

Or the deliberate genocide of natives.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on August 13, 2012, 05:21:30 AM

Now now, some of them had it coming.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 13, 2012, 05:35:53 AM

Now now, some of them had it coming.

Yes, but you can't clear the province of natives when you take Stockholm.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Syt

Pretty funny from a game company that wasn't allowed to use the swastika in HoI, but let you harvest slaves in EU2.  GET ON THE DAMN BOAT BOY

Well, if we continental Europeans see a swastika we're genetically coded to fall into goosestep, kill minorities and attack neighboring countries.

Whereas we don't have a habit of holding black folks to do our gardening.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on August 13, 2012, 06:58:52 AM

Well, if we continental Europeans see a swastika we're genetically coded to fall into goosestep, kill minorities and attack neighboring countries.

Whereas we don't have a habit of holding black folks to do our gardening.

I saw a lot of Senegalese in Italy doing menial work.

Josephus

Quote from: Berkut on August 12, 2012, 08:16:25 PM
I thought playing colonial powers was plenty of fun...

I thought it was too, especially the exploration and colony aspects. 

Only the nasty rebellious ones. The nice ones who were willing to conform to proper European values got nicely assimilated.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Viking

Quote from: Syt on August 11, 2012, 10:52:56 PM
Quote from: frunk on August 11, 2012, 04:13:38 PM
Paradox has always had a lot of trouble getting the naval element of their games right.

And that's a surprise because . . . ?

Bogh had so much fun with the Waasa simulator at the Waasa museum.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on August 12, 2012, 07:11:16 PM
Map doesn't suck :

That is actually very nice.

Are we sure this is a paradox game?  :hmm:

Neil

Quote from: Syt on August 11, 2012, 10:52:56 PM
Quote from: frunk on August 11, 2012, 04:13:38 PM
Paradox has always had a lot of trouble getting the naval element of their games right.

And that's a surprise because . . . ?

OH SNAP
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Viking on August 13, 2012, 01:44:17 PM
I was there.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

QuoteWaasa simulator

A giant red button marked "sink"?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

hope they sort colonisation out...I can't think of a good mechanic even theoretically for it though.

And they really should reduce the traditional more land=automatically more power thing. Would be nice for playing a city state to be viable and for some land to be more of a burden than a gain
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

I'd like to see different types of governments raise armies different ways.  For instance, nomads and feudal societies just sorta call up levies like in Crusader Kings.  As states become more complex they raise more modern regiments.  A feudal levies in the early game mean not having to maintain standing armies (something that is difficult in the early game), but they are less disciplined and quickly become out paced by units in the pike and shot world.  There could be several different methods for raising troops depending on government and technology.

Viking

Quote from: Neil on August 15, 2012, 08:43:59 PM
Quote from: Viking on August 13, 2012, 01:44:17 PM
I was there.

Please tell me you didn't save grumbler from drowning  :P
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tyr on August 15, 2012, 10:02:56 PM
hope they sort colonisation out...I can't think of a good mechanic even theoretically for it though.

The player invests in individual colonial ventures =- like sponsoring an explorer or chartering a company.
The opportunities that come available and the chance of success depend on slider settings with some (modifiable) boost for historical performance.

If your ventures succeed to some degree, a sustainable colony is set up.  Then there can be a separate screen for managing colonial affairs through colonial polices.  I.e. taxation, natural resource policy, trade with metropole and foreign powers, extent of encouragement of immigration, etc.   Policies may differ by colonial region (or not). The colonial power can also continue to delegate authority to the venturing company, which may have advantages (expense) and disadvantages (extent of control).  Each distinct colonial region has a trade and supply route back to the home country - the owning power can assign ships to police the trade route; hostile powers can send raiders/privateers. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson