And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Phillip V on August 11, 2012, 02:40:38 PM
Quote from: Martinus on August 11, 2012, 03:28:20 AM
I was actually thinking recently it would be fun to play EU3 again but some of it has become quite obsolete.
Which parts?

Graphics.

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on August 11, 2012, 10:52:56 PM
Quote from: frunk on August 11, 2012, 04:13:38 PM
Paradox has always had a lot of trouble getting the naval element of their games right.

And that's a surprise because . . . ?

It's a submarine. It was supposed to do that.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on August 12, 2012, 01:44:39 AM
I was actually thinking recently it would be fun to play EU3 again but some of it has become quite obsolete.
Which parts?

Graphics.

Eh, they've always been ugly.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

szmik

Quote from: Martinus on August 12, 2012, 01:44:39 AM
Which parts?

Graphics.

Really?  :hmm: It was ugly from the start.
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Is this set in a different time from EU3?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on August 11, 2012, 01:56:37 AM
WTF are you doing on languish then? :P

Pretty sure 11B was part of the Hearts of Iron crowd.  Though I'm not sure.  He was just around one day, crafting his own mercury-tipped loads.

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on August 12, 2012, 07:12:44 PM

Game's still pre-alpha or whatever, but they have announced they're shooting for just over a 300 year period.  From what I've gleaned from the screenshots, probably 1430s to 1770s.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Quote from: Habbaku on August 12, 2012, 07:28:25 PM

Game's still pre-alpha or whatever, but they have announced they're shooting for just over a 300 year period.  From what I've gleaned from the screenshots, probably 1430s to 1770s.
Good.  Hopefully they'll also solve the age-old problem of the game getting boring after at most 200 years.  Even our MP games couldn't push it past 2.5 centuries.

Razgovory

If they are going to do the Dynasty thing again, they really should think about changing the name of the Ottomans, Timuriads etc.  It looks a little weird when the Ottoman Empire is a Republic governed by President Damad.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

Johan :

Quote-There will be country-specific national ideas.

:punk:

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: DGuller on August 12, 2012, 07:30:44 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on August 12, 2012, 07:28:25 PM

Good.  Hopefully they'll also solve the age-old problem of the game getting boring after at most 200 years.  Even our MP games couldn't push it past 2.5 centuries.

Yeah, I definitely agree.  The biggest problem our games had was that we always wanted to start a 1399 game, which, upon reflection, I think wasted a lot of player interest in the early years.  The really fun stuff only happened around the mid-game, I think, so we would have been better served to play from 1492.  Assuming they shrink the timeline a bit, we won't have as much a problem.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: Razgovory on August 12, 2012, 07:32:36 PM
If they are going to do the Dynasty thing again, they really should think about changing the name of the Ottomans, Timuriads etc.  It looks a little weird when the Ottoman Empire is a Republic governed by President Damad.

Dynamic naming for countries that are known by dynastic names would be pretty awesome, yeah.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Camerus

The thing I most want overhauled is the colonization / province improvement system.  There are a variety of problems with the current system, but by far the biggest is the micromanagement.  Currently there's just way too much micromanagement involved to ever make playing a colonial power, like England, any fun.