News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

From the Kotaku article :

QuoteJohan Andersson tells Kotaku that CKII's success - it seems to have become something of a watershed title for the team - has taught the developer a few other valuable lessons, which are being applied to Europa Universalis' development (and which necessarily weren't as important with the studio's previous games). These include a greater emphasis on making the game "look better", how to "streamline interfaces without dumbing anything down" and, perhaps most importantly, the importance of spending time polishing a game before release.

:lol:  "Paradox discovers things that anyone with half a brain could have told them ten years ago."
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 10, 2012, 10:35:54 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 10, 2012, 10:32:11 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on August 10, 2012, 10:27:31 AM
They do, it's called War of the Roses.

That's being developed by a different group.

East Vs. West and March of the Eagles are the only slight time period changes being done in house.

In an industry where publishers rule everything, where it's being developed is not important.

I think it does because the p'dox games that we most seem to play are those that have Johan involved.  So if it helps you to understand my statement - I wish Paradox's Game Studio would try something new.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

I will buy it, play it for a while and then wonder why I bought another Paradox product.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on August 10, 2012, 10:55:08 AM
From the Kotaku article :

QuoteJohan Andersson tells Kotaku that CKII's success - it seems to have become something of a watershed title for the team - has taught the developer a few other valuable lessons, which are being applied to Europa Universalis' development (and which necessarily weren't as important with the studio's previous games). These include a greater emphasis on making the game "look better", how to "streamline interfaces without dumbing anything down" and, perhaps most importantly, the importance of spending time polishing a game before release.

:lol:  "Paradox discovers things that anyone with half a brain could have told them ten years ago."

And many did tell them at least 10 years ago.

Grey Fox

Quote from: garbon on August 10, 2012, 11:19:49 AM

East Vs. West and March of the Eagles are the only slight time period changes being done in house.

In an industry where publishers rule everything, where it's being developed is not important.

I think it does because the p'dox games that we most seem to play are those that have Johan involved.  So if it helps you to understand my statement - I wish Paradox's Game Studio would try something new.

Have you tried contacting Johan directly with game design ideas?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 10, 2012, 11:34:30 AM

Have you tried contacting Johan directly with game design ideas?

:huh:

No, I don't work for him.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

I think playing EU3 MP was some of the funnest gaming time I have ever spent.

If they can do that with EU4, then they will have a buyer.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Drakken

Quote from: garbon on August 10, 2012, 10:17:55 AM
Quote from: Syt on August 10, 2012, 10:07:22 AM
They're becoming the EA Sports of historical strategy.

:yes:

Also, I wonder if ubik is going to throw a hissy fit soon. :D

I doubt it.

QuoteStrategy Informer: Need to quickly touch on a sour note: Obviously the Magna Mundi project was cancelled a short while ago. Tragic, but the ultimate result is a half-finished game with what I assume are some good ideas knocking about not doing anything. Did you ever consider allowing any of the concepts in that project to live on in EU4?

Johan Andersson: No.

Drakken

Also, coalitions are in! Finally! :w00t:

QuoteStrategy Informer: We've touched a bit on new ideas, and on systems that are being completely overhauled... are there any other systems that you want to highlight that are getting tweaked? Military? Diplomacy?

Johan Andersson: Military will get overhauls, but that has not been finished yet. Diplomacy, we're adding a few new concepts, like coalitions for example. The relation system has been replaced by the opinion system that was in CK2, it's no longer an arbitrary number from -200 to +200, but a value that allows you to see WHY it is at a certain level.

Thomas Johansson: You could say a coalition is a sort of targeted alliance where a group of countries come together to attack or defend against a third. This is an example of an ability that we think will give a new dimension to the diplomatic gameplay of EU. We've also separated military access from fleet basing rights.

sbr

Quote from: Berkut on August 10, 2012, 11:43:43 AM
I think playing EU3 MP was some of the funnest gaming time I have ever spent.

If they can do that with EU4, then they will have a buyer.

Agreed.  I hope they are able to pull off the new MP features they discussed, especially hotjoin, that would be great.

garbon

Quote from: Drakken on August 10, 2012, 12:17:14 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 10, 2012, 10:17:55 AM
Quote from: Syt on August 10, 2012, 10:07:22 AM
They're becoming the EA Sports of historical strategy.

:yes:

Also, I wonder if ubik is going to throw a hissy fit soon. :D

I doubt it.

QuoteStrategy Informer: Need to quickly touch on a sour note: Obviously the Magna Mundi project was cancelled a short while ago. Tragic, but the ultimate result is a half-finished game with what I assume are some good ideas knocking about not doing anything. Did you ever consider allowing any of the concepts in that project to live on in EU4?

Johan Andersson: No.

Because Johan saying no in an interview means paranoid Ubik will believe him?

Barrister

But that's not really the way of gaming these days.  A powerful brand identity is important, and brand new games are apparently a tough sell.  I mean yes - I wish all publishers would be more willing to "try something new", but I can't argue with Johan and Co following the industry model.

Besides, at this point they've hit most of the global eras that would be interesting to most players, between CK, EU, Vicky, and HOI.  I mean sure we could say a game based around, say the Arab conquests would be interesting, but I doubt it would sell very well.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

The Middle East 4,000 BC to 1,000 BC. With lots of Swedish events and leaders.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

I didn't say that they were unique - just that it's getting a little dull.

garbon

Actually maybe I wouldn't mind each iteration if the AI got better in each go around.