News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Oddly enough it seems that the Denmark patch didn't break my ongoing LOL OTTOMON EMPIRE game.  I got the warning that the save wasn't compatible but I was able to load it anyway, play for a bit, and re-save.  I'm really surprised as I thought whenever provinces were added/changed, old saves would be broken for sure.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

:hmm:

This seems like a waste of time to me but apparently p'dox boards be lapping it up.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-13th-of-december-2016.988299/

Hello everyone and welcome to yet another development diary for Europa Universalis IV. Today we'll talk about the biggest feature of our next expansion. A system we called "Ages of Europa Universalis".

The game is now divided into 4 separate ages, where different rules apply in each age. Each age also have objectives you can fulfill, and abilities you can use use.

Age of Discovery => 1400 -1530
Age of Reformation => 1530 - 1620
Age of Absolutism => 1620 - 1710
Age of Revolutions => 1710-1821

Each age have seven objectives that can be fulfilled, and if they are fulfilled, you gain +3 power-projection as well as 3 splendor each month.

Now you may ask? What is splendor then? Well.. Splendor is the age specific currency you use to purchase abilities. There are seven abilities in each age that each country can purchase, and there is also four unique abilities in each age, where countries that historically were powerful in that age can unlock a special ability.

Whenever a new Age arrives, you power projection from objectives start decaying, and you now lose all the abilities you purchased in the previous age.

Today we'll take a look at the Age of Discovery, which is the first Age.

Rules
Religious Rules are valid. (Previously before 1650)
Peasants War, Castilian Civil War, War of the Roses can only happen in this Age.

Objectives
Capital in old world, discover Americas
Own Territory on two continents
Embrace Renaissance and keep it in all state provinces.
Own a 30+ development city
Own 5 Centers of Trade
Have at least 2 personal unions.
Humiliate a Rival

Abilities
Allow Edict "Feudal De Jure Law"
Transfer vassal wargoal
Create a claim bordering claims
50% longer lasting claims.
Explorers & Conquistadors do not cost maintenance while on missions.
Finished colonies gets +1 random development.
Gain +1 attack bonus in your capital's terrain type
Ottomans : +33% Siege Ability
Portugal : +50 colonial growth
Denmark : 30 less liberty desire in subjects.
Venice : +50% Trade Power from Ships

Another cool concept we have related to the Age mechanics is the Golden Era. A golden era can be started once per game for a country, as soon as you have fulfilled 3 objectives in an Age, and lasts for 50 years.

A golden age gives you 10% cheaper costs for anything you spend monarch power on, your land and naval morale increase by 10%, and you produce 10% more goods.

The free patch keeps track of which age the game is in, and uses it for triggers for disasters and events.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I think I would prefer the ages be triggered by meeting certain requirements, e.g. a significant amount of reformed countries/provinces triggering the age of reformations. Not to mention that in theory these ages should be able to overlap.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

All of this chrome is getting out of control.  It's fine if you play a small country without much to do, but if you like to play large empires (like me) it's just even more micromanagement.  I'm busy enough as it is in the game.

Sophie Scholl

"Age of Discovery => 1400 -1530"  New start date?
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Caliga

That'd be cool.  I would really like an earlier start date, like say 1350.

At times I've wanted to try a Byzantine revival, but the existing start date is so late that a Byzantine revanche just seems totally unrealistic to me.  I mean, by 1444, the 'Empire' was Constantinople, a few small villages and islands, and (theoretically) the Peloponnese.

garbon

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on December 14, 2016, 02:11:47 PM
"Age of Discovery => 1400 -1530"  New start date?

Nope, Johan confirmed no new start date. Which is good given that I don't think they'd be able to handle that well / balance rest of game if they picked new start date now.

@Cal - Good news it is a paid feature so one doesn't need to do anything with it / even have it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Who am I kidding... I'll still pick it up when it goes on sale later. :D

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on December 14, 2016, 02:16:07 PM
That'd be cool.  I would really like an earlier start date, like say 1350.

At times I've wanted to try a Byzantine revival, but the existing start date is so late that a Byzantine revanche just seems totally unrealistic to me.  I mean, by 1444, the 'Empire' was Constantinople, a few small villages and islands, and (theoretically) the Peloponnese.

Yeah even 1400 is too late.

But if you really want to play the Byzantines you need to play CK2.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on December 14, 2016, 02:53:05 PM
I tried them once and found it completely overwhelming, so I never got that far into that playthrough.  I ought to give them another shot since we are many patches/expansions removed from that last game now.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on December 14, 2016, 02:55:38 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 14, 2016, 02:53:05 PM
I tried them once and found it completely overwhelming, so I never got that far into that playthrough.  I ought to give them another shot since we are many patches/expansions removed from that last game now.

When you play the Byzantines in CK2 your main job is simply holding onto the throne. The Strategos are numerous and powerful. So it is actually kind of fun, if sometimes extremely frustrating.

The main weakness, as far simulation goes, is that the Muslims basically leave you alone instead of invading almost annually like they did IRL. So instead of having to keep all your men in Anatolia, like the Byzantines actually did, you can freely transfer your soldiers over to the Balkans to kick the shit out of Bulgaria and company. Of course that usually means a bunch of new powerful Strategos to fuck you up.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josephus

Yeah, having set dates for the ages is too deterministic for a game that prides itself on being event-or player driven.

All part of a grand plan to become Civilization IMO.

That said, as I said before, the game that keeps on giving...even if you're not asking.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Solmyr

Meanwhile, Civilization is becoming more EU.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Solmyr on December 14, 2016, 06:15:27 PM
Meanwhile, Civilization is becoming more EU.

Perhaps I should think about getting it.  :hmm: