News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

The EU4 forum is providing me with some serious entertainment.  I think Paradox is going to need to make some changes, clearly something is seriously not working there.

Syt

I've not followed development of this DLC, but commenters seem to suggest that many of the issues were already visible in the preview build that streamers and YouTubers played in advance, which seems baffling.

Even more baffling is that there seems to be no reaction from PDX yet?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I hope this post is satire? :unsure:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/shove-it-down-your-throats-you-arent-the-fanbase.1470257/

QuoteShove It Down Your Throats, You Aren't The Fanbase

You are not the fanbase of this game, and clearly do not know anything about EU4's development cycles. You can just see all the bull coming from your threads, whining and talking about who the developers are, discussing Johan, and Jake, and Paradox Tinto. "Oh no there is a bug that lets you get 100 development!" Lol. You must be new to this game. Guess none of you have any remotely challenging Ironman achievements. Ming used to form Mughals you absolute blowhard idiots. NO ONE HAD AN ISSUE WITH THAT IN 2015. You could infinite war the ENTIRE WORLD in a loop to break coalition forming. You have always been able to use sneaky tricks to integrate and vassalize, and gain FREE CORES over plenty of land. "OH NO BEIJING HAS 100 DEVELOPMENT!" AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA WHAT. 100 DEVELOPMENT? TRY FREE INTEGRATION OF THE ENTIRE INDIAN SUBCONTINENT AND I'LL CALL IT A BUG AND NOT A FEAURE. Apparently this ENTIRE FORUM wasn't around in 2015, so why should the developers listen to you, when you didn't play Cossacks on launch? If you had, you would know about world conquest razing. You don't care we all got the achievements back then, but you care about 100 development MUH IMMERSION IS RUINED? You don't get a voice. You don't know what WE, THE ACTUAL PLAYBASE, THE PEOPLE WHO PLAY THE GAME want.

Johan, Groogy, Jake, Tinto. Do not listen to these absolute fools. They want free content and free development time. Their criticisms are unfounded, unbased, and they are whiny little brats. They didn't play 2013 EU4, and they don't know jack garbage about what "the fanbase" has requested. If they did, they would know Great Buildings project was suggested YEARS AGO when canal projects were implemented, and the modding community wanted to be able to build other things (like Alhambra). Due to limitations this was never possible. We have been mad at Paradox for YEARS OVER THIS, but NOW the fanbase wants to complain? NOW? AFTER WE FINALLY GOT GREAT BUILDINGS, IN ANY BROKEN FORM, NOW IS THE TIME YOU COMPLAIN? When is it good enough? No. You didn't care before, you only selectively care now. "WAHH WAHHH WE FINALLY GOT A FEATURE THAT WE DIDNT HAVE A RIGHT TO IN THE FIRST PLACE AND IT DOESNT HAVE 100000 FLAVOR MISSIONS THAT TAKE 3 HOURS IN A NOTEPAD TO EDIT AND MOD INTO THE GAME MYSLEF BECAUSE THIS IS THE ONLY GAME ON STEAM THAT JUST LETS YOU GO INTO THE GAME FILES AND CHANGE VALUES AND ADD CODE WAAHHHHH MUH IMMERSION AS A 500 POPULATION POLYNESIAN TRIBE IS BROKEN AHHHHHHHH!!!!"

It has nothing to do with money, or profit, or any of your little conspiracy theories. Tinto began during the peak of covid, and I doubt they have functioned at intended capacity. Besides, there has never in the history of Eu4 not been a major game breaking bug that enables world conquest with a major game update. There simply hasn't, and you thinking there shouldn't BE any bugs that break campaigns is absurd. I have spent the better part of 8 years listening to you fools complain about your broken ironman saves. it's enough. Honestly it takes 10 hours for you to get to 1650 on ironman if you didn't play at a snails pace. "Buh buh buh my perfect Spanish union over France England and Austria by 1498 is broken now!!!! F U PARADIX!!!" Stop playing the game if it's "broken and unplayable". You won't. The player base has gone on full steam for the least 5 years. This game was supposed to be dead by 2016. No one was supposed to be playing this thing still. Jesus Christ. Nut up, or shut up. Really, it's time you paper handers stay out. This is a game for autism, not your little bug perfect clean masterpiece. This is a constant work in progress, and bugs are THE REASON THIS GAME IS FUN. Johan, if you read this, for the love of GOD do not let EU4 become what CIV, AOE, and other communities became. Stop listening to these people who don't play the game. That's what ruined CIV and turned it into a watered down garbage pale. That's what these people want EU4 to become. Do not listen. YOU KNOW WHAT THIS GAME IS SUPPOSED TO BE.

Downvote the post. You can stay mad about the fact your opinion on what is fun doesn't line up with Johan, Jake, Myself and other actual EU4 enthusiasts. You treat Jake like he isn't you. He is you, ragpile. You have anthropomorphized a guy who used to rant on the forum about achievements like you, without stopping to think why any of this is happening. It's not the game buddy, it's you. It's perspective. Check the hours and respond to my post. Go ahead. If you don't have 500 hours don't even bother thinking your opinion on this game matters. You averaged 62 hours per year. That's what, 5 campaigns? You hardly experience the depth of each update, so why do you think your opinion matters? You didn't build this game. You didn't build this community. You haven't made a single bug fix suggestion. You haven't provided any help to the development team, or added any features yourself. You didn't write a single line of code, you didn't come up with any ideas, you didn't make any mods for the community, you didn't do anything for the progress of this game. You haven't even played 500 hours, and you think because you spent some money that you get to complain about your irrelevant view on if the movie you just paid for was good or not. You haven't been on this journey with Johan and crew for 8 years. Shut up, you aren't Arumba Mr Arm Chair expert. No, you don't know what's best for the game.

Let's get down to brass tacks. Johan, how much per year does Tinto spend on the development of Eu4? I'm not there yet, might take be 5-10 years, but I doubt you are dumping more than 5mn into the budget of these DLCs, right? I'll fund a development team myself. How much would it cost to run a 10 man team for a year? How many people are currently working at Tinto on EU4? Not the other games. But just EU4. Would more budget solve your issues, or was this more a transitional work from home problem? If it's just budget, why? Are you focusing budget towards Vicky and EU5? Is covid causing a slow development pace? Let's talk this out, cause the suits aren't gonna solve this at this rate. The fanbase became whiney, and spoiled. I don't know European tax or salary nonsense since I'm American, but even if you decide to pay some random modders 50-80k usd a year, who would prolly be willing to do it just to pay bills they wouldn't have paid with the job they didn't have otherwise, you are looking at 500-800k in development costs for a 10 man team. I doubt Tinto has more than 10 people doing code work for the game. How much do you need to bankroll a team? I'm dead serious Johan. How much will it cost for a team to spend about a year, even half a year, working on a new expansion for EU4? Let's assume you sell 50,000 copies of the DLC. No way you get full monetization on all 2million players, and your addition of a sub model tells me you aren't selling loads of DLC. If you sell those 50,000 copies, that's half a million. I'll cover the dev cost for priority shares in Paradox Interactive. If Paradox isn't giving you enough money to spend on EU4 (because they want you to focus on Vicky, or other stuff) tell us, and we will front the additional cost. Let's solve this because this reaction to a pretty typical EU4 release is absurd.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

A fascinating tribe.

How many percent of the population are autistic btw? Even if it's higher among EUIV players is it enough to make up the ACTUAL PLAYBASE?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on April 27, 2021, 11:43:53 PM
Even more baffling is that there seems to be no reaction from PDX yet?

As of 10 minutes ago, SaintDaveUk (art lead @ Tinto) posted:
QuoteTo answer the original question, the team is working hard to get the planned 1.31.1 patch out as soon as it is ready.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Seems they deployed a hotfix patch now. It's rather fascinating, though, considering that they wanted to focus more on fixing long term bugs.

Looks like the worst day 1 since ... well, Path of Exile's currently league, really, 10 days ago. :lol:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Solmyr

Leviathan became the worst-reviewed game of all time on Steam. :lmfao:

Syt

A thing that puzzles me - carpet sieging is a well known gameplay tool in EU4 (heck, even I know it!), where you split u your army into small stacks to siege down multiple provinces at once.

The paid DLC advertised automated carpet sieges:

"You can now designate units to automatically carpet siege selected areas."

It appears that a lot of players expected this feature to replicate the human behavior (i.e. take an army, split it up, siege multiple designated provinces), but it seems that the implementation is that you select an army and then a series of provinces to siege down in order (kind of how you can queue up surveying systems in Stellaris), and didn't bother to clarify this sufficiently in advance, despite players discussing this upcoming feature on the forums with their expectation of "proper" carpet sieges. :hmm:

(Then again, was PDX ever good at managing expectations? :P )

This all looks like a quite fascinating train wreck, and I kind of feel they should sunset EU4 development by fixing as much as possible and work on EU5 instead.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josephus

Quote from: Syt on April 29, 2021, 04:27:13 AM
This all looks like a quite fascinating train wreck, and I kind of feel they should sunset EU4 development by fixing as much as possible and work on EU5 instead.

Yes. I think what this illustrates more than anything is that the game doesn't need any more updates. Put out one more patch (1.10 in EU2 talk, for those who remember), polish it up, perfect it and let it go like an old lover. Thing is it's no longer 2005, and Pdox is a corporate entitiy that wants to milk as much as it can from us.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Maladict

So this Tinto business is led by Johan as a standalone entity? That should help me hold off from future purchases.

Syt

Btw, I didn't know Johan was married. I wanted to see if he posted anything on Twitter, and last week he posted that he was sitting with a beer waiting for wife and kid. Good for him. :)
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

I am also waiting for a wife and kid.

Josephus

Quote from: The Brain on May 01, 2021, 10:45:50 AM
I am also waiting for a wife and kid.

Yeah, but do you have a beer?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

garbon

I see Stonewall showed up on the forum to write a love letter to the devs.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.