News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Barrister on November 28, 2013, 12:50:37 PM

Okay - so I'm playing as Scotland.  I am in the North Sea trade node.  There are inflows from North America (obscured) and the Barents sea (out of range).  Outflows are to London and somewhere else.

I have two merchants.  I put one in the North Sea trade node, but what do I do with the other one?

The inputs to north sea are White Sea (archangelsk), Hudson Bay and Chesapeake Bay (most of north america east of mississippi). Once you find Chesapeake, place your second merchant there feeding north sea from there. Until you find that place it either in white sea (when you get range) or place it in london use the upstream transfer to boost your trade power (however little) in north sea.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 28, 2013, 12:39:13 PM
Quote from: Josephus on November 24, 2013, 10:04:20 PM
I don't understand the whole upstream and dwonstream thing.

What does this mean:

Merchants have two possible missions, both of which they will remain engaged
in until recalled. The first mission is collecting money directly from a Node, which
can only be done at Nodes you own a province in. Without a Merchant present, a
Node will send Trade Power downstream, you will not collect any trade income from
the Node. The second mission is Transfer Trade Power, which increases the flow of
money downstream and boosts your trade power upstream.

Downstream means the trade is being sent in the direction of the arrows.  If there are multiple arrows going downstream from a given node then, if you have no merchant in that node, whatever trade power you have in the node will be apportioned to each of the downstream streams.  If you have a Merchant in the node you can select which "stream" you which to select and so all of your trade power will be concentrated in that stream.

Think of the Node at Oman.  As a Euro trader you would want all of your trading power in that node to direct trade toward South Africa rather than up to Egypt.

If there is only one stream leaving the node you do not need to have a merchant in that node directing your trading power because there is no choice to make.

Clear as mud?

No. What benefit is it going to South Africa?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Liep

Quote from: Josephus on November 28, 2013, 07:09:56 PM

So that you can lead the trade further around Africa and collect it in Sevilla.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josephus

^^

Ok. But to get to Seville, from there, it still has to go through Ivory Coast and Congo. I guess because trade flows in only one direction through those nodes, right? But if I have a merchant in Alexandria, and Oman,  I could send the Oman trade to Seville?

Ok...beginning to make some sense. It's certainly the most confusing change they made.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Drakken

Quote from: Liep on November 28, 2013, 07:15:27 PM
Quote from: Josephus on November 28, 2013, 07:09:56 PM

So that you can lead the trade further around Africa and collect it in Sevilla.

Or, even better, collect trade in Ivory Coast where only savages can compete against you, and forward trade there from Oman through South Africa. Profit.

Having trade power in South Africa through colonies add trade value through that node.

Josephus

Just as I'm grasping this...something else.

Look at Antwerp. Antwerp only has trade coming in. Nothing leaving. Now, playing as Spain, the game lets me send a merchant to transfer trade power--but how do I do that, since nothing comes out of Antwerp?
Civis Romanus Sum

DGuller

Quote from: Josephus on November 30, 2013, 03:43:23 PM

Look at Antwerp. Antwerp only has trade coming in. Nothing leaving. Now, playing as Spain, the game lets me send a merchant to transfer trade power--but how do I do that, since nothing comes out of Antwerp?
You have to collect at Antwerpen, since there is nothing downstream.

Viking

Quote from: Josephus on November 30, 2013, 03:43:23 PM

Antwerp and Venice are terminal nodes. There is no downstream of those two nodes. The trade system itself will crash if you mod it so that any trade cannot move to one of these two nodes.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josephus

I get that. Not sure why the game lets me send a merchant there to forward trade (option not grayed out)
Civis Romanus Sum

Solmyr

I think your merchant can transfer some trade back upstream.

Viking

Quote from: Solmyr on December 01, 2013, 11:03:07 AM
I think your merchant can transfer some trade back upstream.

no, just trade power and only 20%

Anatron

That was an interesting session.No peace only blood.:-)

Viking

The session started peacefully.

Russia said he was cancelling his alliance with Turkey (me) since he didn't like the idea of a permalliance.. which is was starting to look like.

Scandinavia (Anatron) and Brandenburg decided taht this was the time to attack Russia.. or at least join poland when Russia attacked poland. Austria and France threatened to join, but they just had a mexican standoff. Russia eventually relented and called for my help resulting in this decisive battle.

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/684841644967603266/B7AB815F004864E474B85CE2ACCC18155EF1F6B9/

There was a second european war, but this time the Turks stayed out. That war had a big battle like this, but it didn't end the war like this one.

Eventually I got bored expanding deep into india and offered Spain a 1v1 war. In a quick iberian campaign I killed about 200 regiments, mainly in wipes, took madrid and got up to 48% warscore

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/684841644970181818/7922097B89FD0E161E9B64793266A3F9A9EB7474/

and got Spain to agree to these terms

Quote1. The provinces of Lancashire, Marches, Gwynedd and Glamorgan will be returned to Britain. Orkneys and Hebridies won't matter since if Britain doesn't have naval superiority he'll get invaded anyways, if he does have naval superiority he can block the straits, and/or wipe any armies stationed there.

2. Madrid will be renamed to "Mehmet was here". The right to alter the name again must be obtained by demanding the right from the ottoman in war.

Why was I helping britain? He was being destroyed at the time by Portugal and Spain.

Bluebook

So I just bought the game. Is there some sort of mandatory mod or dlc I need to get before I dive in?

Tamas

Quote from: Bluebook on December 04, 2013, 09:32:40 AM
So I just bought the game. Is there some sort of mandatory mod or dlc I need to get before I dive in?

no.