News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Seems to be some consensus that the new game-start date is after the Battle of Varna in 1444.  Seems pretty reasonable to me.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Semlems rather irrelevant for most?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: dps on August 16, 2012, 12:32:38 PM
Quote from: Tyr on August 15, 2012, 10:02:56 PM
hope they sort colonisation out...I can't think of a good mechanic even theoretically for it though.

Part of the solution would be simply to make AI naval units suffer from attrition.  Without attrition, the AI can explore huge areas with a single explorer.  While the "no attrition for AI navies" model should probably be done away with anyway, I will admit that it is only a minor part of the problem here.

Something else that could be done would be to reduce the rate at which colonists are received.  Right now, for example, Catholics get 1 colonist a year as a base, which is the highest base rate in the game.  Reduce that to 0 for everyone until, say, 1500, then let Catholic, Protestant, and Refomed nations go to a base rate of, say, .50/year and let Orthodox and most non-Christian nations go to .25/year.  That would cut back the early colonization a bit.  Note that it would still allow Portugal and Spain to get a bit of an early jump on colonizing the West Africa, the Canaries, Azores, Madeira, and Cape Verde because they'd still get the .10/year for owning a coastal CoT.

Colonisation to me seems quite lopsided.
The early days go too fast. Its way too easy to establish colonies over much of the world. There reducing colonists would make sense.
But...as time goes on...by 1800 you have undersized colonies still with just a thousand people or so.
I guess the methodology for establishing new colonies and for adding people to existing ones should be different.
Would be nice if they had Victoria style pops at least to an extent so people could themselves chose to move to colonies...hopefully the balancing would be right.
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

Victoria-style POPs would be awful, in my opinion.  Too much hardware use for a lot of other stuff that needs calculating by the CPU already.

I think the best route for colonization would really be a lot of abstraction, a la Joan's suggestion.  There really should not be a huge amount of colonial micro-managing so that they can keep the game focused instead of sprawling.

Basically, I want the game to be ideal for MP.   :P

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

They're not going to abstract it like that though. They like the paint the map blue/pink/green/whatever fans too much.

Trading looks interesting though ...given the lack of abstraction with the navy pirates won't really be much of a problem. :(
Would be nice if at least they could abstract pirates as a trade route negative and then assigning the navy to the route fights them and reduces the negative- attacking pirate harbours greatly reduces the negative. Maybe if abstract pirates grow too strong then there can be events with them raiding coastal provinces or giving free ships to their supporters during times of war.
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

I think the idea of pirate harbors is a great one.  Giving your pirates/privateers a bonus in a certain region by basing them somewhere specific would be pretty neat and certainly lend a bit of extra heft to diplomatic wrangling...

-J. R. R. Tolkien

dps

Quote from: Habbaku on August 16, 2012, 09:41:14 PM
Seems to be some consensus that the new game-start date is after the Battle of Varna in 1444.  Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Doesn't matter really what start date they pick, because you know it'll be moved back with the first expansion.

Faeelin

I don't see why they couldn't adopt the liferating model from Victoria for colonies in this period; people knew about the Atlantic coast of North America in the 16th century, it just wasn't worth colonizing. The settlement of British North America was a capital intensive process that was driven to a large degree by economics, and this isn't something the games reflect.

Have they said anything about how they'll handle the Ming or HOly Roman Empire in this game?

Martinus

Tamas

R we really supposed to discuss this game daily, when it's over a year before it's out?

Viking

Quote from: Tamas on August 20, 2012, 08:08:11 AM
R we really supposed to discuss this game daily, when it's over a year before it's out?

It's like reading to Torah over 7 1/2 years. Lets find out if there really are 365 different ways of saying "the map sucks".
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.