News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

That would be a pretty good way to do things if, you know, Paradox ever realized that abstracting anything was worthwhile.

I wouldn't expect it, though.  Expect the same amount of micromanaging.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

dps

Quote from: Tyr on August 15, 2012, 10:02:56 PM
hope they sort colonisation out...I can't think of a good mechanic even theoretically for it though.

Part of the solution would be simply to make AI naval units suffer from attrition.  Without attrition, the AI can explore huge areas with a single explorer.  While the "no attrition for AI navies" model should probably be done away with anyway, I will admit that it is only a minor part of the problem here.

Something else that could be done would be to reduce the rate at which colonists are received.  Right now, for example, Catholics get 1 colonist a year as a base, which is the highest base rate in the game.  Reduce that to 0 for everyone until, say, 1500, then let Catholic, Protestant, and Refomed nations go to a base rate of, say, .50/year and let Orthodox and most non-Christian nations go to .25/year.  That would cut back the early colonization a bit.  Note that it would still allow Portugal and Spain to get a bit of an early jump on colonizing the West Africa, the Canaries, Azores, Madeira, and Cape Verde because they'd still get the .10/year for owning a coastal CoT.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

You have something else planned for that period of time?

Cecil

Quote from: Habbaku on August 16, 2012, 12:43:46 PM
New vid's out with some details about trade :

http://www.gamespot.com/events/gamescom-2012/video.html?sid=6391927

You´d think that after so many years in this business Johan would speak a less cringeworthy english. But then we have Hansyboy so I guess it could be worse.

The new trade mechanic seems really good though. The place-a-merchant minigame was one of the worst features in the previous games.

crazy canuck

I believe his English has gotten worse over time.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Habbaku on August 16, 2012, 12:13:23 PM
That would be a pretty good way to do things if, you know, Paradox ever realized that abstracting anything was worthwhile.

They did a pretty good job of that in Victoria 2 - maybe too much in fact.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Grallon

I see they've recycled yet again their old interface graphics *sigh*.  And no doubt they'll be advertising this as 'super modable' without releasing any modding guidelines as usual  <_<

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Habbaku

Yeah, I can't imagine why they wouldn't get their art team to work on the interface ASAP.  I mean, they only have a year until release and haven't even decided on what's staying and going yet.  It makes perfect sense for them to devote resources to things that might change completely.   :huh:

-J. R. R. Tolkien

garbon

Quote from: Grallon on August 16, 2012, 03:40:09 PM
And no doubt they'll be advertising this as 'super modable' without releasing any modding guidelines as usual  <_<

G.

Indeed. CK2 has a lot of moddability but so much of the script is so opaque that I couldn't make heads or tails.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Looks like they felt the interface was already good enough - so graphics-wise that could be held till later as it wouldn't be a major overhaul.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Oh and yeah, their PR person should be shot. Broken English has no place in a game preview.

Camerus

Quote from: garbon on August 16, 2012, 04:26:15 PM
Oh and yeah, their PR person should be shot. Broken English has no place in a game preview.

Not to mention choosing a presenter who is as socially awkward as Johan.

Habbaku

Yeah, they should've had Kallocain do it.  Isn't that her job?

-J. R. R. Tolkien