News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Bing Challenge

Started by garbon, September 15, 2012, 09:15:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

So I did this and really for the most part Google and Bing seemed to be the same (2 pro-bing, 1 pro-google, 2 draw).When I typed gay scottish (both gay and scottish as separate terms were dropdown options for me) - google was more likely to give me results about the church hating gays whereas Bing gave me results about things to do as a gay person. :D

http://www.bingiton.com
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

Maybe it is only a US thing. For me it goes directly to the bing challenge which has you do head-to-head "blinded" searches.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jaron

I picked bing 3 out of 5 times. :worship:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Eddie Teach

Does Bing offer anything new? I mean Google works well enough that I'm not looking for a better Google.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

I had the same thought when using altavista.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on September 16, 2012, 11:01:57 PM
I had the same thought when using altavista.

I used to love altavista.

But a decade ago when I was introduced to google, it was night and day difference in the quality of searches.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Two for Google, three for draw, zero for Bing.

Eddie Teach

Google won me over with the image searches, none of the search engines I used before had them.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Google 3, Bing 1, with one draw. 

Bing is fine for what it is, and for some people (like my parents) it's probably better.  But IMO it tries too hard to do my thinking for me.  With Google I just search for a couple keywords and I get a good range of choices-- it also seems more forgiving of spelling mistakes or typos.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DontSayBanana

Meant to put this in here a couple days ago, when I did this, but mine came out 3/5 Bing, 2/5 Google, no draws.  Given what I know of Google's search algorithms, I could just about set up decent boolean search queries, so Bing's more useful when I've got vague tokens, and Google's my weapon of choice for finding exact pages with very specific information.
Experience bij!

frunk

I did this at a Microsoft store where they bribed me with a free t-shirt.  2 Google, 1 Bing, 2 draws.  Still got the t-shirt though.

Josquius

I take it this bing challenge thing I've seen mentioned elsewhere too is some US advertising campaign?

I really should use bing more. I remember back in the day it was considered good practice to use more than one search engine to get different results.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on September 25, 2012, 08:35:20 AM
I take it this bing challenge thing I've seen mentioned elsewhere too is some US advertising campaign?

I really should use bing more. I remember back in the day it was considered good practice to use more than one search engine to get different results.

But then along came google which pretty reliably gave you the result you were looking for in its 1st or second hit.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Tyr on September 25, 2012, 08:35:20 AM

True, but then search providers started buying up each other and copying their algorithms- it's been a long time since you could realistically expect different results between, say, DogPile, MetaCrawler, and Alta Vista.
Experience bij!