News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mechwarrior 4 - Mercenaries. Free

Started by MadBurgerMaker, August 02, 2012, 01:02:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

So I was looking at a thread on SA about the upcoming game Mechwarrior Online that I will be playing no matter what, and noticed a link in there to a company/group/some dudes who had updated and released MW4 Mercs for free.  I figured those who are fans of the series, but didn't know about this might appreciate it:

http://www.mektek.net/projects/mw4/index.html

The downloads page:
http://www.mektek.net/index.php/home/articles/Mechwarrior4-Mercenaries-Downloads-r1204

Installation guide:
http://www.mektek.net/forums/topic/166925-how-to-install-update-and-play-mw4mercs/

Features:

QuoteOne of the greatest features of MekPak3.1 and of Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries in general, is the ability to customize. Mechwarrior always has been about the Mechlab, especially multiplayer. The Mechlab truly distinguishes MW4 from a long list of shooters that have come out in the past 10 years. The ability to create literally thousands of configurations allows the game to continue in popularity over its lengthy life span. Since the Free Release not only comes with the original mechs and weapons of Mercenaries, but also with the Clan and IS Mech Packs and all the Mektek mechs and weapons here is what you are getting...for free.

111 different mechs ranging from 20 to 100 tons.
9 Battle Armor
6 Infantry
32 Beam Weapons
43 Ballistic Weapons
44 Missile Weapons
7 Electronic Components
3 different types of armor

And, let's not forget the ability to add Heat Sinks to help with Heat Management, upgrading the Engine to increase Speed, and the option to add armor in incremental amounts. The same Mechlab you love has only gotten better over the years.

As if that wasn't enough, the Free Release comes with many improvements over the original Mercs thanks to the Mektek Mekpaks, like added security and a new kind of zone for multiplayer.

That brings us to what many of you have been looking forward to most of all - the new and exciting features and improvements that have been added solely for this special release.

Clan and IS Mech Pack mechs available in campaign
Mektek mechs and weapons added to campaigns
Zonematch has been replaced with MekMatch in all visible text and is the one and only mech-matching service
5 new MekMatch servers to host and play on! You can change servers whenever you like. Each server has a dedicated community to cater to
League Server
New Players
Australia
Europe
North America
"Connect" and "Host" default to the last server chosen

For those that will be hosting games:

New features for dedicated servers like the ability to add a fixed number of bots to a dedicated server upon launch chosen in setup! Bot Levels can also be set. Default game length has been changed to 30 minutes instead of original 10.

Other Improvements:

Game loads much quicker and no longer requires a CD
Original mechs, Clan and IS Mech Pack, and Mektek mechs arranged alphabetically in Mechlab list (no longer have special symbols in front of the mech name except for Battle Armors and Infantry).
New Screenshot Folder for in-game screenshots (instead of the main Mercs installation folder where it was difficult to locate them).

Improvements on-screen:

LTRI (Long Tom Range Indicator) added when a weapon with trajectory is installed on a mech! Torso pitch angle in degrees is also shown! Even height of mech has been calculated and accounted for in range.
Mission and Computer Clock added as part of the UI. Mission Clock is a semi-transparent pie chart indicating how much time is left on a multiplayer map!
Additional Chat state. Besides the in-game chat box's normal and large size you have the option of completely turning off chat (disappears). Pressing the "y" or "u" key (general chat and team chat) causes the chat box to reappear!

Uh.  Yeah.  There you go.

E: It should be noted that the MTX thing is a torrent....thing.  For some reason, mine seems to have downloaded everything, then got stuck installing.  I had to restart it in order to make it start extracting files.  This might be in the instructions but lol tldr

E2:  This fuckin rules *hits a light mech with a pair of gauss rifles, then BBQs it with a flamethrower while it's trying to get up*

FunkMonk

I've been following MWO via SA too. Have you paid into early beta access by purchasing one of the Founders' packs?

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Barrister

Quote from: FunkMonk on August 02, 2012, 11:34:28 AM
I've been following MWO via SA too. Have you paid into early beta access by purchasing one of the Founders' packs?

Been following MWO a bit as well.  I thought it was bound to be vapourware, but there is a beta test going on and its getting positive feedback...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

FunkMonk

Yeah, the leaked videos have looked really promising, but I've read the game is still very much in late alpha and they're still adding in features and stomping out lots of bugs.

Still, if they can pull off a mech game with World of Tanks style combat, I would be very, very happy.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: FunkMonk on August 02, 2012, 11:34:28 AM

Nah, I thought about just getting the $30 one, but decided to pass on the beta this time around.  I'm going to wait until it is released to check it out.

Razgovory

I'm not big on MMOs and not even big on giant robots, but I think I'll give the new Mechwarrior a spin.  I had hours of fun with the older incarnation.  I didn't think they could make those anymore do to copyright violations.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 02, 2012, 09:03:39 PM
A new Heavy Gear game was announced.

Heh.  I just saw this and came to post it.

Here's a link:  http://www.stompybot.com/?cat=6

Valdemar

Speaking of Mechs...

I need some help finding a game for my sons.

A few weeks ago I went to an electronics store to get some stuff and while I looked the kids went to the PS3s to try new games.

One of them seemed to be in the middle of a campaign, futuristic infantry style, and the mission he got started one quickly involved taking over some left behind mech/big exoskeleton robot like things and then complete the mission.

It looked like fun, so i thought I'd find. Problem I cant recall the name :) So can anyone help me?

The mechs seemed more open than the orgonal mech warrior mechs and not quite as big.. more like Riddleys robot thing in Alliens

V

MadBurgerMaker

DontSayBanana

The only other big mech property that I can think of that was likely to be demo'ed for the PS3 is Front Mission Evolved.
Experience bij!

Valdemar

Cant see IGN from work :D

The scenario could have been any platoon strength modern/close future infantry setup, clancy or some such, first person view.

The only thing futuristic thing were the mech/exoskeletons. they were semi open, with rocket and machineguns, not closed like the old Mech Warrior ones.

For that scene that is. I recall the name was sort of double.. something then an added title.. matbe an expansion pack or sequel?

V