News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A Dance With Dragons

Started by Viking, June 13, 2011, 10:39:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lettow77

Quote from: Tyr on June 13, 2011, 07:58:02 PM
Urban fantasy....I'm really not big on modern fantasy....Has just never done it for me in book form for some reason.
Though I should read more fantasy....

China Mieville is rather good. I imagine particularly so if you're a big city person.

Is he really? Perdido Street Station was interesting world-building, but irritating and disappointing as far as an actual story. Were the subsequent stories in the setting any better?
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Scipio

Quote from: viper37 on August 23, 2012, 05:41:44 PM
Jesus, that guy is slow.  They're waiting for GRR to finish a part of his next book to include in the paperback version of this one.  It was supposed to be released in May.  Then August.  Now, it's for March 2013. :glare: :bleeding:

I'll have to revise my whole reading strategy.  No more Star Wars Books post-Yavin to read, no more Song of Ice and Fire, well, I'll have to do something else of my spare time.  Maybe I'll finish all those games I started.
I recommend The Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

grumbler

Quote from: Scipio on August 25, 2012, 02:36:50 PM
Quote from: viper37 on August 23, 2012, 05:41:44 PM
Jesus, that guy is slow.  They're waiting for GRR to finish a part of his next book to include in the paperback version of this one.  It was supposed to be released in May.  Then August.  Now, it's for March 2013. :glare: :bleeding:

I'll have to revise my whole reading strategy.  No more Star Wars Books post-Yavin to read, no more Song of Ice and Fire, well, I'll have to do something else of my spare time.  Maybe I'll finish all those games I started.
I recommend The Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson.
I liked that, but liked his Anathem even better.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HisMajestyBOB

I recommend Sanderson's Mistborn Trilogy.

For urban fantasy, try Rivers of London and The Dresden Files, both of which are written by reliable authors.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

viper37

thanks for the suggestions.  I'll take a look at that.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.