News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mitt Romney's Plan for a Stronger Middle Class

Started by Jacob, August 03, 2012, 01:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

How much of this is fluff, how much of it is real? The bits that are real, what do they actually mean?

I'm particularly interested in the following:

1. Reagan Economic Zone for free enterprise. - What is that?

2. Replace Obamacare with real health care reform that controls costs and improves care. - Are there any details on what that means in practical terms?

3. Protect workers and businesses from strong-arm labor union tactics. - What does this mean? Is this just a "I'm on your side" to the many Americans who hate unions and a screw-with-a-supposedly-Democrat-constituency, or is there something specific planned? What are the strong-arm tactics that are so problematic?

4. Give every family access to a great school and quality teachers. I suppose this is some sort of "we're going to push school vouchers"? If so, is access to great schools and quality teachers assumed to be inherent in providing vouchers for people, or is there some other sort of mechanism proposed in addition to the vouchers?

5. Provide access to effective and affordable higher education programs. - any word on the details of that?

6. All the bits under the Cut the Deficit combined with reduce taxes on job creation through individual and corporate tax reform. - Do those numbers add up? And does taxes on job creation mean something other than taxes on making money? Are there mechanisms in the proposed tax reform that encourages job creation beyond "you get to keep more of your money if you make a lot of it"?

DGuller

My eyes glazed over after third platitude, sorry.

CountDeMoney

Much like his taxes, his faith, his gubernatorial record, his "retroactive retirement", his overseas bank accounts, and his wife's fucking horse, I really don't see why Mittens has to explain anything about anything.

TRUST ME I KNOW BIDNESS

Admiral Yi

I imagine #3 means something like union members could opt out of political donations taken out of their dues.

Viking

Quote from: Jacob on August 03, 2012, 01:27:53 PM

How much of this is fluff, how much of it is real? The bits that are real, what do they actually mean?

I'm particularly interested in the following:

1. Reagan Economic Zone for free enterprise. - What is that?
The WTO apprently, it must be part of the Republican goal of naming stuff everywhere after Ronald Reagan a tax raising labor union leadeing democrat who while president repeated raised taxes while exploding spending.
2. Replace Obamacare with real health care reform that controls costs and improves care. - Are there any details on what that means in practical terms?

Romney-Care, right?
3. Protect workers and unions from strong-arm labor union tactics. - What does this mean? Is this just a "I'm on your side" to the many Americans who hate unions and a screw-with-a-supposedly-Democrat-constituency, or is there something specific planned? What are the strong-arm tactics that are so problematic?

Because when he was at bain he realized the real problem in the american economy is the wages he has to pay workers and their employment and workplace safety rights.

4. Give every family access to a great school and quality teachers. I suppose this is some sort of "we're going to push school vouchers"? If so, is access to great schools and quality teachers assumed to be inherent in providing vouchers for people, or is there some other sort of mechanism proposed in addition to the vouchers?

yes, and to pay for this we will.. ehh.. raise taxes?
5. Provide access to effective and affordable higher education programs. - any word on the details of that?

ditto
6. All the bits under the Cut the Deficit combined with reduce taxes on job creation through individual and corporate tax reform. - Do those numbers add up? And does taxes on job creation mean something other than taxes on making money? Are there mechanisms in the proposed tax reform that encourages job creation beyond "you get to keep more of your money if you make a lot of it"?

Yay, every gets the same tax rate as mitt!!!!!
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

Voucher programs don't increase overall expenditure.  The public school the kid leaves gets less money than before.

The Minsky Moment

Regulations are destroying the coal industry?

I thought it was cheap natural gas.

Doesn't take a PE exec to figure this out.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

I think Jake's #3 point is mis-transcribed in a fundamental way.

FunkMonk

What organization was it that said a couple days ago that Romney's tax plan would actually increase taxes on the middle class and decrease taxes for the rich? Obama got a lot of ad material from that report.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

garbon

Isn't this what happens every-time we get plans during the election cycle?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on August 03, 2012, 02:01:32 PM
Isn't this what happens every-time we get plans during the election cycle?

I think it's fair to say this document is more ambiguous about actual policies than the norm.

garbon

I don't know I feel like I'm getting deja vu from '08.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

I am excited about this real health care reform that is guaranteed to reduce costs and improve care.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on August 03, 2012, 02:10:00 PM
I don't know I feel like I'm getting deja vu from '08.

Obama might have set the standard for campaigns moving forward.  Even his slogan is Obama-esque.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."