Your CdM's China Warmongering Thread du Jour

Started by CountDeMoney, August 02, 2012, 11:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

It is always good for a giggle when non-Americans tell is the "facts" about what Americans believe.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ed Anger

Quote from: Berkut on August 06, 2012, 03:47:05 PM
It is always good for a giggle when non-Americans tell is the "facts" about what Americans believe.

You didn't learn that in school.  :mad:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: derspiess on August 06, 2012, 03:43:05 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 06, 2012, 07:51:39 AM
:secret:  Fact 1, is not a fact.  In English it's called a "conjecture".  Fact 2 is some sort of quibble over death camps and camps where they starve people to death.  A distinction that was probably lost on the people the people dying in there and the American soldiers who liberated it.  You also stated that pre-1990 American history books said nothing about the US killing POWs, and I immediately found one that had to do with the photo you posted.  How many books would I have to post here before you admit that statement was bullshit?

"Company Commander" was written in 1947 by Charles B. MacDonald, and he mentioned (somewhat vaguely, but there's really no doubt) that some of his troops had shot German POWs.  I'll have to dig out that book when I'm home to find the specific passage.

I always find it odd, that sort of event was hushed up or not given its due prominence; 'fact' is it was entirely understandable.

Same goes for the newly liberate inmates taking revenge on remaining guards, capos and informers; not pleasant but why would people not react in that way given the system of horror, they somehow managed to survive. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Quote from: mongers on August 06, 2012, 04:18:05 PM
Is always find it odd, that sort of event was hushed up or not given its due prominence; 'fact' is it was entirely understandable.

In 1947 I doubt anyone cared much. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on August 06, 2012, 05:04:42 PM
Quote from: mongers on August 06, 2012, 04:18:05 PM
Is always find it odd, that sort of event was hushed up or not given its due prominence; 'fact' is it was entirely understandable.

In 1947 I doubt anyone cared much.
Agreed.  Even Martim back then was probably more concerned about getting in touch with Argentinian ambassador.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Berkut on August 06, 2012, 03:47:05 PM
Martim does take the cake though. Probably has to feed all those ambassadors with it.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on August 06, 2012, 03:43:05 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 06, 2012, 07:51:39 AM
:secret:  Fact 1, is not a fact.  In English it's called a "conjecture".  Fact 2 is some sort of quibble over death camps and camps where they starve people to death.  A distinction that was probably lost on the people the people dying in there and the American soldiers who liberated it.  You also stated that pre-1990 American history books said nothing about the US killing POWs, and I immediately found one that had to do with the photo you posted.  How many books would I have to post here before you admit that statement was bullshit?

"Company Commander" was written in 1947 by Charles B. MacDonald, and he mentioned (somewhat vaguely, but there's really no doubt) that some of his troops had shot German POWs.  I'll have to dig out that book when I'm home to find the specific passage.

I don't doubt it.  I think everyone knew that POWs would sometimes get shot.  There were occasional massacres of several dozen through out the war.  SS had a stronger tendency to do this then normal soldiers (and they suffered for it.  In the early stages of the battle of Normandy  the 12th SS HitlerJugend killed a group of Canadian POWs at an abbey.  When the Canadians found out about it, they just stopped taking SS men prisoner).  Most of these acts were unplanned and unsanctioned.  None of it compares to what the SS was doing in the East where they were deliberately just depopulating the countryside in partisan operations and of course where they murdered every Jew they could get their hands on, sometimes tens of thousands at a time.  I know of no instance where any Allied formation captured a hospital and then raped the cancer patients, something an SS unit actually did during the Warsaw uprising.

Now where there some things covered up during the war?  Yes.  The US submarine campaign in the Pacific against Japanese shipping wasn't talked about.  It became known after the war, but never got the attention that it deserved.  Allied warfare against Japanese merchant shipping was devastating to Japan.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martim Silva on August 05, 2012, 12:25:50 PM
(and, if your own American movies/series are anything to go by, wasn't the killing of POWs a regular thing that the GIs liked to do? In 'Saving Private Ryan', 'Band of Brothers' or 'Letters from Iwo Jima', for an Axis soldier to try to surrender to an US unit is basically a 50/50 tossup on weather he'll get killed on the spot or not).

Meanwhile not a single American POW was ever killed in Hogan Heroes, putting the lie to the brutal reputation of the Nazi war machine.  Whereas in Stalag 17, the German agent was deliberately exposed by the Americans to rifle fire, while William Holden was spared despite several incidents of over-acting. 

It is shameful that so-called reputable historians have engaged in a conspiracy of deception to hide from the world the brutal carnage exacted on innocent German POWs by bloodthirsty American teleplay and screenwriters.  I propose the Oscars be boycotted until Hollywood is called to the Hague to answer for its war crimes.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ed Anger

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martim Silva on August 06, 2012, 07:23:34 AM
Fact2: Sure, they were upset about "the death camp thingy"... too bad Dachau wasn't a Death Camp, but a regular concentration camp for political prisioners.

But they were kicked out of the Club Med loyalty program because they served their beer too warm.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

PDH

Jesus, even awful movies like The Big Red One had scenes of soldiers killing camp guards.

It was known, portrayed, and horribly overacted.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on August 07, 2012, 09:48:34 AM
Jesus, even awful movies like The Big Red One had scenes of soldiers killing camp guards.

It was known, portrayed, and horribly overacted.

Ugh, Puke Skywalker in a war flick.  :yuk:

Siege

"The convoy of death" have nothing to do with american soldiers.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

jimmy olsen

Is it ok to post stuff about the warmongering Chinese here, or is this thread so derailed I should post it in a new thread?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 08, 2012, 06:39:38 AM
Is it ok to post stuff about the warmongering Chinese here, or is this thread so derailed I should post it in a new thread?

No such thing as too many warmongering Chinese threads.  If it's the one in today's NYT, go for it.