Belarus under aerial bombardment by teddy bears

Started by Barrister, July 30, 2012, 11:51:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

QuoteTeddy bear aerial assault over Belarus confirmed
Posted By Lilian Timmermann  Friday, July 27, 2012 - 2:13 PM   Share

On Thursday, Belarus President Alexander Lukashenko confirmed that a small aircraft piloted by democracy activists had violated Belarusian airspace in July when it crossed over from Lithuania. The aircraft was carrying a cargo of teddy bears, which parachuted into the Belarusian capital, Minsk, on July 4.

Lukashenko was peeved at his military commanders and air traffic control had failed to stop the plane's raid into Belarus. Government officials have been trying to sort out how the activists planned the attack and why national security operatives failed to stop the small planes raid into controlled air space.

According to Al Jazeera's news report:

"[Press Secretary ]Andrei Savinykh told Al Jazeera that the aircraft was detected, "but the air defence did nothing. They didn't consider the aircraft as a military threat because it was a small aircraft and usually the air defence system is focusing on high-speed heavy crafts." However, Savinykh said their failure to act was a "violation of instructions" and that the responsible personnel will be punished."

The plane was piloted by the cofounder of a Swedish ad agency on behalf of Charter 97, a Belarussian democracy advocacy group. The group has since organized other teddy bear assaults, including staging of teddy bears in front of the Belarusian Embassy in London-which caused embassy officials to call the police-- to protest Lukashenko's repression. Protestors have adopted the teddy bears as a symbol of resistance against Lukashenko.

http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2012/07/27/teddy_bear_aerial_assault_over_belarus_confirmed

:huh:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Awesome.  Would love to see some video of that.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Solmyr

Search for "belarus teddy bear" on YouTube, there's a ton of videos.

derspiess

Cool, will check that out on my phone, since youtube is blocked at work :rolleyes:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

I'm pretty sure the effect was negligible anyway.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

garbon

derspiess

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 30, 2012, 12:46:07 PM
I'm pretty sure the effect was negligible anyway.

Made the news, so I'd say it worked well enough.

Ed Anger

I almost posted a link to a chick riding a teddy bear with a strap on. But Katmai has been mean to me lately.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Any news out of Belarus?  Did democracy take hold?

The Brain

The ad agency is a kind of tard outfit I'm told.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.