News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Where do atheists get their morals from?

Started by Viking, August 01, 2012, 02:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: derspiess on August 02, 2012, 01:36:18 PM

If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail.

this is not mere tripe, glib, but not tripe. This contains far more wisdom than the hearing listening bs BB came up with.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on August 02, 2012, 01:44:35 PM
You can hardly argue "God doesn't exist because he won't talk to me" if you haven't made any attempt to talk with Him.

OTOH, you can hardly argue that "my god does exist because I hear voices in my head" either.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on August 02, 2012, 02:31:05 PM
You can hardly argue "God doesn't exist because he won't talk to me" if you haven't made any attempt to talk with Him.

OTOH, you can hardly argue that "my god does exist because I hear voices in my head" either.

Sure you can.   :)

It may or not be persuasive, but you can argue it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Viking

Mohammed ibn Abdullah did precisely that. He killed the people who brought up the point you do. Fortunately for you you were on dromons in the agean at the time and arabs don't float.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Barrister

Quote from: Viking on August 02, 2012, 02:21:51 PM
Faith is belief without evidence, I can't respect that and I can't respect anybody who thinks that is a virtue.

I guess I'll have to survive with you not respecting me then.  :)

Viking

Quote from: Barrister on August 02, 2012, 02:52:50 PM
Faith is belief without evidence, I can't respect that and I can't respect anybody who thinks that is a virtue.

So, are you going to drop the charges against the rapist who insists that he has faith that she really wanted it when she said no?

You have no respect for the rapist's faith and you do not think that believing the rapist is a virtue. I suggest that you apply my standards to faith when you are in the courtroom but in the rest of your life seem to assert that your faith claim deserves respect while you do not respect the faith claims of accused rapists.

garbon

Quote from: Viking on August 02, 2012, 02:57:14 PM
So, are you going to drop the charges against the rapist who insists that he has faith that she really wanted it when she said no?

You have no respect for the rapist's faith and you do not think that believing the rapist is a virtue. I suggest that you apply my standards to faith when you are in the courtroom but in the rest of your life seem to assert that your faith claim deserves respect while you do not respect the faith claims of accused rapists.

Isn't it still rape even if he thought she wanted it? :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Well I suppose it's good that Viking is not religious otherwise he wouldn't respect himself.  He might hurt himself.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Viking on August 02, 2012, 02:57:14 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 02, 2012, 02:52:50 PM

The accuseds belief that she consented is negated when she says "No".  So what he believes really doesn't matter.  :)

Second of all... MEOWTF.  What the hell kind of analogy is that? :blink:

Viking

Quote from: Barrister on August 02, 2012, 03:33:01 PM
The accuseds belief that she consented is negated when she says "No".  So what he believes really doesn't matter.  :)

I didn't say anything about guilt. His faith is irrelevant and his faith is also unconnected to the truth of the claim. You expect others to respect you and your beliefs when you insist that you have no evidence for it, but your working life is specifically geared to do the opposite.

Barrister

Quote from: Viking on August 02, 2012, 03:45:40 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 02, 2012, 03:33:01 PM

I didn't say anything about guilt. His faith is irrelevant and his faith is also unconnected to the truth of the claim. You expect others to respect you and your beliefs when you insist that you have no evidence for it, but your working life is specifically geared to do the opposite.

In my working life I rarely, if ever, care what people believe - I care what they do, and what they intend to do.

As such, I find it easiest to respect what people believe, as it rarely affects my work otherwise.   :)

Viking

Quote from: Barrister on August 02, 2012, 03:48:31 PM
In my working life I rarely, if ever, care what people believe - I care what they do, and what they intend to do.

As such, I find it easiest to respect what people believe, as it rarely affects my work otherwise.   :)

And there we return to the point I was trying to make in the OP. You live your life in all cases where reality matters as if god did not exist. You do not get your morals from a book you get them from the same place we all do, our natural evolved moral sense. You do not consider the beliefs and faith of others relevant when they interact with you and with society in general. They have to justify themselves with facts and reason and they can't appeal to the book.

I keep bringing up biblical literalism here again and again simply because to get your morals from the bible you need to read it first. The moral code we live by is not sourced in the bible, much of it is found there, yes, but that is just as relevant as the same code being found the Koran and Hadith, the Eddas, Hesiod, the Bhagavadgita, the annalects of Confusius etc.

Barrister

Quote from: Viking on August 02, 2012, 04:01:14 PM

You do not consider the beliefs and faith of others relevant when they interact with you and with society in general. They have to justify themselves with facts and reason and they can't appeal to the book.

No.  If I'm dealing with a witness from Libya testifying in a Hijab (like I did last week) she does not need to justify her faith.  I simply respect her belief and allow her hair to be covered while she gives evidence.

Malthus

I only listen to the voices in my head when they tell me to kill. So far, they have never steered me wrong!  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Viking

Quote from: Barrister on August 02, 2012, 04:12:09 PM
Quote from: Viking on August 02, 2012, 04:01:14 PM

You do not consider the beliefs and faith of others relevant when they interact with you and with society in general. They have to justify themselves with facts and reason and they can't appeal to the book.

No.  If I'm dealing with a witness from Libya testifying in a Hijab (like I did last week) she does not need to justify her faith.  I simply respect her belief and allow her hair to be covered while she gives evidence.

She's not using her faith to justify an assertion of fact here. She is using her membership in a class of humanity to justify her access to a special exemption from a requirement of conduct by witnesses. She would need to justify her faith in the truth of the assertion that achmed was embezzling from abdullah's falafel shop.

If she was asserting that her faith told her that BB killed Col. Mustard with a lead pipe in the library then she would need to justify her faith. You are specifically not addressing the issue, the hijab testimony is a red herring.