News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The State of Affairs in Russia

Started by Syt, August 01, 2012, 12:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Yeah, it's past time to put that treaty to bed.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

http://www.thelocal.at/20150311/fpoe-man-denies-accepting-invitation-to-russian-forum

QuoteFPÖ man denies saying yes to Russian forum

A senior politician from the populist Freedom Party (FPÖ), Johann Gudenus, is claiming that he never planned to join a gathering of far-right parties from across Europe at an International Russian Conservative Forum (IRCF) to be held in St. Petersburg on March 22nd.

However, the Austria Press Agency (APA) reports that it has seen a letter from Gudenus from December, written in English with an official FPÖ letterhead, in which he thanked the IRCF for the invitation, and said he was "looking forward to join the conference".

On Tuesday Gudenus told APA that he had never said he would participate and "never intended to go there."

Analyst and blogger Anton Shekhovtsov speculates that the FPÖ was likely looking to secure some financing from Russia - after the French National Front accepted a €9 million loan from a Russian bank in 2014.

Yuriy Lyubomirsky of Russia's Rodina party told APA that he only received an email from Gudenus on March 9th, cancelling his participation in the conference, and saying that he was too busy with election campaigns in Austria.

Meanwhile, this has surfaced:

Oops. Gudenus now claims that it must have slipped his mind that he had confirmed his attendance, because he receives so many invitations to so many meetigns, conventions and functions.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

Is Putin dead? There's rumors in Russia that he is, or at least that he's very sick.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Tamas

Quote from: Liep on March 12, 2015, 03:51:46 AM
Is Putin dead? There's rumors in Russia that he is, or at least that he's very sick.

we can't be that lucky.

jimmy olsen

All I see is that he postponed a trip due to illness. Nothing about him dying.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Solmyr

Quote from: Tamas on March 12, 2015, 05:25:14 AM

we can't be that lucky.

I wouldn't necessarily call whatever follows Putin's death in Russia "lucky". :P

Tamas

Quote from: Solmyr on March 12, 2015, 06:36:18 AM
Quote from: Tamas on March 12, 2015, 05:25:14 AM

we can't be that lucky.

I wouldn't necessarily call whatever follows Putin's death in Russia "lucky". :P

There is no heir apparent and chaos there would be a short term gain for the ROTW. A possible long term catastrophe yes, but a short term gain :P

alfred russel

Quote from: Tamas on March 12, 2015, 06:38:23 AM

There is no heir apparent and chaos there would be a short term gain for the ROTW. A possible long term catastrophe yes, but a short term gain :P

Medvedev?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tamas

Quote from: alfred russel on March 12, 2015, 08:50:52 AM

Medvedev?

Puhleaze

DGuller

Quote from: Solmyr on March 12, 2015, 06:36:18 AM
That's definitely what he wants everyone to think.  He may be right too, in a self-fulfilling way.

alfred russel

Quote from: Tamas on March 12, 2015, 08:55:11 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 12, 2015, 08:50:52 AM

Medvedev?

Puhleaze

He has more credibility than the bus driver that Chavez got to replace him.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

frunk

Syt

http://rt.com/politics/240025-russia-peskov-putin-health/

Quote"No need to worry, everything is all right. He has working meetings all the time, only not all of these meetings are public," Dmitry Peskov said on Thursday in an interview with Echo of Moscow radio. He added that the president is "absolutely healthy" and that "his handshake is so strong he breaks hands with it."

"I must break you."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Does anyone in Russia realize how pathetic the quote about Putin's iron handshake sounds?  They're moving into North Korean territory when it comes to glorifying their dear leader.