News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The State of Affairs in Russia

Started by Syt, August 01, 2012, 12:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on January 06, 2015, 10:51:30 PM
Gotta say that Polish militias make a lot more sense than American ones.

They serve different functions.  A Polish militia would fight off an enemy invader.  An American militia exists so that it could one day terrorize and murder other Americans.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Some of them exist so they can terrorize and murder Mexicans.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 06, 2015, 10:19:10 PM
Poland girds her loins.

I already commented on the Economist's Facebook page - never heard of this guy or his organisation before. It's just some fringe lunatic.

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 06, 2015, 11:35:33 PM

I think you are overestimating Polish militia's hatred for Mexicans.  :hmm:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 01:37:19 AM

It's code. "Mexicans" = Jews.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 07, 2015, 02:18:40 AM

Nah, wrong stereotype. Ukraine is Poland's Mexico (i.e. a failed corrupt state off our border that we get cleaning ladies from).

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 04:24:06 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 07, 2015, 02:18:40 AM

Nah, wrong stereotype. Ukraine is Poland's Mexico (i.e. a failed corrupt state off our border that we get cleaning ladies from).

So Poles go to western europe to work as cleaning ladies, while Ukrainians go to Poland.  :hmm:

It seems Ukraine and Poland are continuing their drift west.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on January 07, 2015, 08:52:09 AM
So Poles go to western europe to work as cleaning ladies, while Ukrainians go to Poland.  :hmm:

It seems Ukraine and Poland are continuing their drift west.

:lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Poles do this less often these days but yeah. It's pretty natural - the pay disparity is responsible for that.

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 10:53:11 AM

Poles do this less often these days but yeah. It's pretty natural - the pay disparity is responsible for that.

From what I've read, I get the impression that the Poles basically have their shit together and are firmly headed for first-world-western-nation status, while Ukraine has gone from bad to worse (with a lot of Russian prodding to be sure). From the Polish perspective, is this essentially true?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on January 07, 2015, 02:27:53 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2015, 10:53:11 AM

From what I've read, I get the impression that the Poles basically have their shit together and are firmly headed for first-world-western-nation status, while Ukraine has gone from bad to worse (with a lot of Russian prodding to be sure). From the Polish perspective, is this essentially true?

Yeah, definitely. Apparently back in 1989, Poland and Ukraine had roughly the same GDP per capita. Now Poland's is 3.5 times that of Ukraine (and Poland's GDP per capita is roughly 1/3 that of Germany - it was 1/9 in 1989).

It does not change the fact that Polish cleaning ladies are not willing to work for the same kind of money that Ukrainian cleaning ladies in Poland do - and they are earning several times more money than they would in Poland by going to Western Europe (a friend of a friend lives in Western Poland and it pays off for her to drive to Berlin 3-4 times a week to clean people's homes for example). So I don't think what alfred russel said was particularly funny or extraordinary.

The Larch

How to improve Russian road safety? Keep trannies, gamblers and fetishists off them!

QuoteRussia says drivers must not have 'sex disorders'

Russia has listed transsexual and transgender people among those who will no longer qualify for driving licences.

Fetishism, exhibitionism and voyeurism are also included as "mental disorders" now barring people from driving.

The government says it is tightening medical controls for drivers because Russia has too many road accidents.

"Pathological" gambling and compulsive stealing are also on the list. Russian psychiatrists and human rights lawyers have condemned the move.

The announcement follows international complaints about Russian harassment of gay-rights activists.

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on January 08, 2015, 06:00:59 PM
How to improve Russian road safety? Keep trannies, gamblers and fetishists off them!

QuoteRussia says drivers must not have 'sex disorders'

Russia has listed transsexual and transgender people among those who will no longer qualify for driving licences.

Fetishism, exhibitionism and voyeurism are also included as "mental disorders" now barring people from driving.

The government says it is tightening medical controls for drivers because Russia has too many road accidents.

"Pathological" gambling and compulsive stealing are also on the list. Russian psychiatrists and human rights lawyers have condemned the move.

The announcement follows international complaints about Russian harassment of gay-rights activists.

They are going to start a database of the one's in bold? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on January 08, 2015, 06:03:56 PMThey are going to start a database of the one's in bold? :unsure:

Why not?

Having that kind of information on hand is useful when you need to knock a few people down. If everyone is compromised, no one is safe, and they have to play along. Sort of the way it works with corruption amongst officials in China too.