Main Menu

The State of Affairs in Russia

Started by Syt, August 01, 2012, 12:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

QuoteWhite House spokesman Josh Earnest

That's a great name for a political spokesman :D

Monoriu

My primary concern is whether this is the beginning of the next round of global financial crisis. 

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on December 16, 2014, 07:16:23 PM
The decrease in oil prices, also allays Euro fears of the sanctions themselves.

Yes. It's a virtuous cycle, really.  :lol:

Martinus

Quote from: Monoriu on December 17, 2014, 01:31:17 AM
My primary concern is whether this is the beginning of the next round of global financial crisis.

Yes, we know what your primary concerns are.  <_<

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

Looks like you'll be seeing a paycut next year.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Liep

QuoteApple Stops Online Sales in Russia Over Ruble Fluctuations
By Tim Higgins - Dec 16, 2014
Apple Inc. (AAPL) halted online sales of its products in Russia due to "extreme" ruble fluctuations, showing how the currency's swings are rippling out to international businesses.

The iPhone and iPad maker stopped sales from its Web store as Russia's currency lost as much as 19 percent today, with a surprise interest-rate increase failing to stem a run on the currency. The ruble briefly sank beyond 80 per dollar, and bonds and stocks also tumbled.

"Our online store in Russia is currently unavailable while we review pricing," Alan Hely, a spokesman for the Cupertino, California-based company, wrote in an e-mail today. "We apologize to customers for any inconvenience."

The selloff in Moscow is spreading across the globe, prompting nervous investors to pull money from other developing nations amid concern that Russia's financial struggles and the tumble in oil signal a global economic slowdown.

No middle class deserves to go through this. :weep:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

According to some journalist, apparently the capitalisation of Google is at the moment greater than the aggregate capitalisation of all companies listed on the Moscow Stock Exchange.

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on December 02, 2014, 08:56:57 AM
Wait, oil is $67 a barrel now? Holy shit. Wasn't it already at an all time low at $80-something a barrel few months ago, or was that a different kind? :blink:

Saudi Arabia has been turning on the tap trying to make shale oil and tar sand oil economically unviable, hoping to provoke the people behind those projects to abandon them.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

celedhring

Quote from: Viking on December 17, 2014, 11:11:46 AM
Wait, oil is $67 a barrel now? Holy shit. Wasn't it already at an all time low at $80-something a barrel few months ago, or was that a different kind? :blink:

Saudi Arabia has been turning on the tap trying to make shale oil and tar sand oil economically unviable, hoping to provoke the people behind those projects to abandon them.

I'm no expert, bit surely the saudis can't keep that indefinitely.  And the moment they turn off the tap, the  moment fracking becomes viable again and projects move forward.

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on December 17, 2014, 11:22:29 AM

I'm no expert, bit surely the saudis can't keep that indefinitely.  And the moment they turn off the tap, the  moment fracking becomes viable again and projects move forward.

Oil and gas projects can have a long lead time though.  If companies shutter production, or go out of business, it will take years for that production to get re-started.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

I read in the Economist recently that this is true for traditional, especially off shore drilling, but not for shale.

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on December 17, 2014, 11:24:21 AM
Quote from: celedhring on December 17, 2014, 11:22:29 AM

Oil and gas projects can have a long lead time though.  If companies shutter production, or go out of business, it will take years for that production to get re-started.

Well, then the current prices shouldn't matter much if it's understood that it's just a temporary, and artificial,  blip.