News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The State of Affairs in Russia

Started by Syt, August 01, 2012, 12:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

There is a lot more wrong with Russia than this silly law.  You're not going to change anything.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

So lesson learned is we should support them.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

sbr

Quote from: garbon on February 05, 2014, 09:49:17 PM
So lesson learned is we should support them.

Only if they are doing something interesting or productive; like hosting the Winter Olympics.

sbr

derspiess, a Russia apologist, who would have thought.  :D

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 05, 2014, 07:56:18 PM

The IOC has a choice.  Either they do what they say they are going to do under their Charter.  Or they should adopt the Dorsey Rule of very few are perfect so why bother.

As a reminder this is what the IOC says it stands for:

Quote2 Mission and Role of the IOC*
The mission of the IOC is to promote Olympism throughout the world and to lead the
Olympic Movement. The IOC's role is:
1. to encourage and support the promotion of ethics and good governance in sport
6. to act against any form of discrimination affecting the Olympic Movement;

1 is dubious in this instance--a general law against "homosexual propoganda" doesn't directly impact "ethics and good governance in sport".

6 also is also a close call--does this discrimination affect the Olympic Movement? Certainly many many regulations by Islamic countries do so in a much more direct way, and I believe they have since their participation began.

In both cases, clauses have been added that in theory narrow the scope of the discrimination being acted against: in 1, "in sport" and 6, "affecting the Olympic Movement".

But that isn't central to what I am saying. What is central is that there are competing priorities. There are all the items that you didn't bold, which require some sort of global buy in to the Olympic games. You can try to uphold a stand against discrimination that would exclude most of the world's population and most of the previous hosts of the games (as their laws stood then). Or we can allow somewhat dodgy countries like Russia and China host the games.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Quote from: sbr on February 05, 2014, 09:54:01 PM

Dislike of the gays, trump card. :(

Razgovory

Quote from: sbr on February 05, 2014, 09:54:01 PM

He recognizes Putin as a fellow right winger.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

:rolleyes:

I don't dislike gays and I'm not any more fond of Putin or Russia than any of you.  Stop being silly.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on February 05, 2014, 10:08:35 PM

I don't dislike gays and I'm not any more fond of Putin or Russia than any of you.  Stop being silly.

Monster
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

No love for a fellow right winger?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

I forgot, you were there with Hillary and the "reset" button.

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on February 05, 2014, 09:47:47 PM
You're not going to change anything.

Yeah, why bother.  Nothing ever changes.  Back of the bus please. :P

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on February 05, 2014, 09:56:45 PM
6 also is also a close call--does this discrimination affect the Olympic Movement? Certainly many many regulations by Islamic countries do so in a much more direct way, and I believe they have since their participation began.

You should study your Olympic history a bit more.  During the last games considerable pressure was put on the IOC to do something about female participation from iirc Saudi Arabia.  And it worked.  But, meh, nothing ever changes.  Why bother.  Besides all this talk about human rights distracts from your enjoyment of the games and that is the most important thing right?

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 05, 2014, 10:26:18 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on February 05, 2014, 09:56:45 PM

You should study your Olympic history a bit more.  During the last games considerable pressure was put on the IOC to do something about female participation from iirc Saudi Arabia.  And it worked.  But, meh, nothing ever changes.  Why bother.  Besides all this talk about human rights distracts from your enjoyment of the games and that is the most important thing right?

I'm aware of that history. I'm also aware that women can't drive in Saudi Arabia, and there are still some conditions on their participation. I'm not certain of the ability of open homosexuals to participate on the Saudi team, but my guess is that it is rather diminished.

If you want to pressure outliers like Saudi Arabia, that is a great place to start. But if you want to draw the line somewhere above Russia for full inclusion, you are going to leave most of the world excluded. You then have a western democracy Olympic movement, not a worldwide Olympic movement, and I think that undermines the core spirit more than the current situation.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014