News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The State of Affairs in Russia

Started by Syt, August 01, 2012, 12:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on August 20, 2012, 02:01:10 PM
I must not be familiar enough with Russian race speak then.  The thing that doesn't make sense to me is that Russians are perfectly aware that there is a place called Africa, and that mostly African-Americans live there.  They are also perfectly aware that such people are referred to as "black", even if they would usually use the word "negr" (not a slur in Russia).  It seems like calling people from Caucasus black would introduce some confusion in communication.

I would be shocked if more than a few thousand African-Americans are presently living in Africa. I bet Africa is mostly inhabited by Africans.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on August 20, 2012, 03:06:06 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 20, 2012, 02:01:10 PM
I must not be familiar enough with Russian race speak then.  The thing that doesn't make sense to me is that Russians are perfectly aware that there is a place called Africa, and that mostly African-Americans live there.  They are also perfectly aware that such people are referred to as "black", even if they would usually use the word "negr" (not a slur in Russia).  It seems like calling people from Caucasus black would introduce some confusion in communication.

I would be shocked if more than a few thousand African-Americans are presently living in Africa. I bet Africa is mostly inhabited by Africans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americo-Liberian

QuoteToday, the Americo-Liberian population numbers about 150,000.

so, quite a few more than a few thousand.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Viking on August 20, 2012, 03:12:35 PM

So,  a whopping 0.01 percent of the total population of the continent . . .
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Viking

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 20, 2012, 03:15:54 PM

So,  a whopping 0.01 percent of the total population of the continent . . .

being off by multiple orders of magnitude is never trivial.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

DGuller

grumbler

No, those are Africans.  African-Americans are Americans of African ancestry.  Could be a few thousand of them living as expats, but I doubt that the African-American expat community in Africa is in the hundreds of thousands.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Viking

Quote from: grumbler on August 20, 2012, 03:41:08 PM

No, those are Africans.  African-Americans are Americans of African ancestry.  Could be a few thousand of them living as expats, but I doubt that the African-American expat community in Africa is in the hundreds of thousands.

Well these guys are africans of african-american ancestry.

grumbler

Quote from: Viking on August 20, 2012, 03:54:22 PM
Well these guys are africans of african-american ancestry.

Glad to see you come around to the correct understanding.  :showoff:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

I suppose the correct terminology would be african-american-africans.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Queequeg

I don't know, they've been in Africa far longer than their stay in America. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on August 20, 2012, 04:36:27 PM

I've got a suggestion, but that terminology is frowned upon.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 20, 2012, 04:47:00 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 20, 2012, 04:36:27 PM

I've got a suggestion, but that terminology is frowned upon.

Kaffirs?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Read an interesting article waaay back written by a girl who grew up in Liberia, descendent of freed slaves.  Article talked about the societal and economic division between the freed slaves and the locals, highlighted during National Day celebrations, which commemorates a battle that the freed slaves won over the locals.  Sort of like making Quebecois celebrate the Plains of Abraham I figure.