And we're back!

Main Menu

The State of Affairs in Russia

Started by Syt, August 01, 2012, 12:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ancient Demon

Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Razgovory

Actually, the more I think of it, the more I like the idea of Russia pulling the plug on the net.  We should really try to get Putin do that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Syt

Quote from: DGuller on September 20, 2014, 01:30:29 PM
If that happens, how would "Nick", "Ben", and "Larry" post coincidentally similar critiques of American foreign policy in various comments sections?

I'm sure the FSB will retain some Compuserve or AOL accounts just in case. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Syt

http://en.itar-tass.com/russia/750657

QuoteRussia's ruling party backs cutting foreign media ownership

MOSCOW, September 22. /ITAR-TASS/. Russia's ruling United Russia party will support a bill to restrict foreign ownership in the country's media, Sergei Zheleznyak, deputy speaker of Russia's lower house of parliament told journalists on Monday.

Proposed legislation, introduced by deputies from Russia's Communist Party, Just Russia and the Liberal Democratic Party, would debar overseas individuals or companies from setting up their own media outlets in Russia and from owning more than 20% of any business in broadcasting or print media. Restrictions would apply equally to Russians who have dual citizenship and non-citizen residents.

If passed, the bill will go into force on January 1, 2016 but stakeholders will have until February 1, 2017 to bring ownership into line with regulations.

To become law, the bill must be passed in three readings in the lower house of parliament before being approved by parliament's upper house and signed into law by President Vladimir Putin. The bill goes before Duma deputies on September 23.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

DGuller

Can Russians cut the bullshit already and go straight to the self-extermination stage?  You know the sheep aren't going to mind going to the slaughterhouse for the glory of Russia, so what are they waiting for?

Jacob

So someone with dual-citizenship counts as a foreigner?

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on September 22, 2014, 09:41:38 AM
Well, consider the source of the typical second citizenship.  :Joos

More generally, my guess is that this is Putin tightening the screws on the oligarchs while the approval rating remains strong, like I predicted earlier.  They're the last source of potential trouble for him, as minimal as it is.  I guess is that there will be more such measures coming.

Jacob

Yeah I figured. It's a "don't try to have an escape route out of Russia and own media stuff at the same time" kind of thing.

Makes sense from Putin's POV.

Syt

Quote from: Jacob on September 22, 2014, 09:41:38 AM

Wouldn't be surprised. From what I've read, Russians living abroad would be counted as foreigners under the law.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

I feel like pointing out that Canada does have laws restricting foreign ownership of media companies... :unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on September 22, 2014, 09:52:52 AM
I feel like pointing out that Canada does have laws restricting foreign ownership of media companies... :unsure:

Including for people with dual citizenship?

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on September 22, 2014, 09:52:52 AM

Francophone isn't foreign.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Spain used too, and they haven't been completely repealed by EU free market stipulations. (they are easily circumvented though).