News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The State of Affairs in Russia

Started by Syt, August 01, 2012, 12:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Some guy who lived like a million years ago. #generationlettow
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

http://en.itar-tass.com/world/731443

QuoteMOSCOW, May 13./ITAR-TASS/.Russia suspends operation of US GPS signal transmission stations as of June 1, Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin said.

GPS stations in Russia to be closed down altogether, if talks on placement of GLONASS stations in the US end inconclusively, he added.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

I'm sure smartphone users in Russia will love this.

derspiess

Quote from: celedhring on May 13, 2014, 10:05:31 AM

I'm guessing most of them would have phones that support GLONASS, wouldn't they?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

Meh, Russians always threaten tit for tat like this. Remember when they threatened to close their airspace for airlines didn't submit all passenger data to Russian authorities?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Quote from: derspiess on May 13, 2014, 10:07:07 AM

I'm guessing most of them would have phones that support GLONASS, wouldn't they?

Can't see most global brands changing their designs to include a glonass radio just for that single market if gps was working there up until now.

EDIT: Looks like I'm wrong. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_smartphones_using_GLONASS_Navigation

derspiess

Also I thought GLONASS was available pretty much anywhere now.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

Long article in the New Republic about Russia/Ukraine and its historical context:

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/117692/fascism-returns-ukraine

I shared it on facebook, and my sister commented that some stuff from the first paragraph would also apply to the U.S.:

QuoteWe easily forget how fascism works: as a bright and shining alternative to the mundane duties of everyday life, as a celebration of the obviously and totally irrational against good sense and experience. Fascism features armed forces that do not look like armed forces, indifference to the laws of war in their application to people deemed inferior, the celebration of "empire" after counterproductive land grabs. Fascism means the celebration of the nude male form, the obsession with homosexuality, simultaneously criminalized and imitated. Fascism rejects liberalism and democracy as sham forms of individualism, insists on the collective will over the individual choice, and fetishizes the glorious deed. Because the deed is everything and the word is nothing, words are only there to make deeds possible, and then to make myths of them. Truth cannot exist, and so history is nothing more than a political resource. Hitler could speak of St. Paul as his enemy,Mussolini could summon the Roman emperors. Seventy years after the end of World War II, we forgot how appealing all this once was to Europeans, and indeed that only defeat in war discredited it. Today these ideas are on the rise in Russia, a country that organizes its historical politics around the Soviet victory in that war, and the Russian siren song has a strange appeal in Germany, the defeated country that was supposed to have learned from it.

When I asked her about it, she said it would be too much to cover in a post, but particularly pointed to the eminence of collective will over individual choice, see Obamacare.
—Stephen Jay Gould

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on May 13, 2014, 11:04:41 PM

When I asked her about it, she said it would be too much to cover in a post, but particularly pointed to the eminence of collective will over individual choice, see Obamacare.
And, with one pathetic loser bit of hyperbole, she loses all credibility.  It must suck to have a sister so silly that she thinks that the US is or was a "fascist" state.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

I tend to not discuss politics much with them. -_-
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on May 13, 2014, 11:04:41 PM

So in that case we have been a fascist state since the Whisky Rebellion.  Fascist before it was cool.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Capetan Mihali

I've been reading some '20s-'30s-era contemporary analyses of fascism, and some Trotskyists made a decent case for treating fascism as an extension of Bonapartism (in the N.III sense). :frog:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Valmy

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 14, 2014, 02:02:37 PM
I've been reading some '20s-'30s-era contemporary analyses of fascism, and some Trotskyists made a decent case for treating fascism as an extension of Bonapartism (in the N.III sense). :frog:

The ideological component of Bonapartism, as outlined in N. III's writings and as carried out in practice in the 1860s, was a transition to a constitutional partiamentary democracy on the British model with a transitional period of...you know the short of shit N. III and N. I did in practice before the Liberal Empire.  The phony elections of N. III were supposed to be practice for real elections later (and, actually that turned out to be the case).  I do not recall that being the stated or practical aim of Fascism, which was rather an alternative to the British Parliamentary model, so that strikes me as dubious.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

http://en.itar-tass.com/russia/731882

QuoteTwitter can be blocked in Russia — watchdog

Russia accused Twitter of violating the law protecting personal data and limiting banned information on the web

MOSCOW, May 16. /ITAR-TASS/. US microblogging service Twitter continues to ignore Russian laws and authorities' demands, Advisor of the upper house's chairman Ruslan Gattarov said on Friday.

The service barely reacted to the demands of the Russian media watchdog Roskomnadzor in connection with fake accounts and libel. In particular, Russia accused Twitter of violating the law protecting personal data and limiting banned information on the web, said Gattarov.

Twitter could be blocked in the whole of Russia, Deputy Head of Roskomnadzor Maxim Ksenzov told the Izvestia daily on Friday as "persisting in not fulfilling our demands" Tiwtter specially created the conditions which make blocking of the service in Russia "almost inevitable", he said.

Media watchdog Roskomnadzor's press secretary Vadim Ampelonsky confirmed that Twitter can be blocked in Russia.

Twitter systematically refused to fulfil Roskomnadzor's and Prosecutor General's demands that the service deletes extremist content, Ampelonsky said adding the company's "unconstructive position" rendered blocking of Twitter inevitable.

The last demand was satisfied on February 26, when the service removed a Russian-language account disseminating banned information about Syria, including photos of corpses and executions. Other demands were ignored, said Ampelonsky.

http://en.itar-tass.com/russia/731878

QuoteMass events prohibited in Crimea until June 6

The measure is connected with "continuing developments in many cities of the south-east of Ukraine that resulted in deaths and injuries of civilians"

SIMFEROPOL, May 16. /ITAR-TASS/. Crimea's acting Prime Minister Sergey Aksyonov has signed a law prohibiting mass events until June 6. The document was uploaded to the official Facebook page of the Council of Ministers of Crimea. The Council's press service confirmed to ITAR-TASS that the document had been signed.

The measure is connected with "continuing developments in many cities of the south-east of Ukraine that resulted in deaths and injuries of civilians," the document says. It also aims "to prevent possible provocations from extremists that may enter the territory of the Republic of Crimea and jeopardize the tourist season in Crimea," the document adds.

The republic's government and cultural institutions are advised to postpone scheduled mass events to a later date.
—Stephen Jay Gould